19 March 2022 - Ukraine Special Weapons News
- Frustrated Russian Forces Resort to More Shelling, New Generation Missiles VOA 19 Mar 2022 -- Russian military officials said Saturday that they fired hypersonic missiles for the first time in Ukraine to target what they said was an underground weapons storage site in the west of the country.
- Operational information on 24.00, 18.03.2022 regarding the russian invasion Ukraine MOD 19 Mar 2022
- Operational information on 06.00, 19.03.2022 regarding the russian invasion Ukraine MOD 19 Mar 2022
- Operational information on 12.00, 18.03.2022 regarding the russian invasion Ukraine MOD 19 Mar 2022
- Communication Breakdown: How Russia's Invasion Of Ukraine Bogged Down RFE/RL 19 Mar 2022 -- "We have no communication. We don't have walkie-talkies. Nothing," a bedraggled Russian soldier tells his interrogators in another of the videos published by Ukrainian defenders this month posted to YouTube.
- Mariupol Desperately Resists Russian Attack As Zelenskiy Urges Russia To Hold Talks RFE/RL 19 Mar 2022 -- Soldiers, officials, and residents in the Ukrainian port city of Mariupol have desperately pleaded for Western help as invading Russian troops pushed deeper into the city center amid heavy fighting that has already shut down a massive steel plant.
- Ukraine Opens Humanitarian Corridor for Evacuation Saturday VOA 19 Mar 2022 -- A humanitarian corridor in Ukraine's Luhansk region is opening Saturday to allow people to evacuate the area, according to regional Governor Serhiy Gaiday, who said food will also be available during the evacuation.
- Address by President of Ukraine Volodymyr Zelenskyy to the people of Switzerland President of Ukraine 19 Mar 2022
- Ten humanitarian corridors have been agreed upon in Ukraine on March 19 - Iryna Vereshchuk President of Ukraine 19 Mar 2022
- Ukraine's Zelenskiy Thanks Swiss Protesters, Urges Oligarch Crackdown RFE/RL 19 Mar 2022 -- Ukrainian President Volodymyr Zelenskiy in a video address has urged Switzerland to crack down on Russian oligarchs living in the country who he said were helping the Kremlin wage war on Ukraine.
- Ukraine's Zelenskyy Calls for Peace Talks as Russia Claims Hypersonic Weapon Strike VOA 19 Mar 2022 -- Ukrainian President Volodymyr Zelenskyy called for comprehensive peace talks with Moscow in a video address released Saturday, as Russia reported its first hypersonic missile strike on Ukrainian territory.
- Meaningful talks on peace and security for Ukraine are the only chance for Russia to reduce the damage from its own mistakes - address by President Volodymyr Zelenskyy President of Ukraine 19 Mar 2022
- Ukraine's positions at peace talks with Russia remain unchanged: Ukraine's presidential advisor People's Daily 19 Mar 2022 -- Ukraine's positions at the peace talks with Russia remain unchanged, Ukrainian Presidential Advisor Mykhailo Podolyak said on Friday.
- US, NATO must stop sending weapons, mercenaries to Ukraine: Russia Press TV 19 Mar 2022 -- A senior Russian official has urged the United States and NATO to stop sending weapons and mercenaries to Ukraine, blaming Washington and its Western allies for a delay in efforts to resolve the conflict.
- Putin, Macron discuss situation in Ukraine over phone People's Daily 19 Mar 2022 -- Russian President Vladimir Putin discussed the situation in Ukraine during a telephone call with his French counterpart Emmanuel Macron on Friday.
- US Bipartisan Senate Group Asks Biden to Increase Military Presence in Ukraine Ahead of NATO Summit Sputnik 19 Mar 2022 -- At an emergency NATO summit, planned for next week, leaders of the member states are expected to discuss further actions against Russia and the alliance's defence capability. The meeting is taking place amid the ongoing special military operation in Ukraine, started by Russia on 24 February.
- US: Russia may lean into nuclear threat as conflict drags on Press TV 19 Mar 2022 -- The United States believes that Russia may lean into its nuclear threat to project its strength as its military operation in Ukraine drags on, according to an assessment from the Defense Intelligence Agency.
- Bulgaria Stands Up Multinational Battle Group DoD News 19 Mar 2022 -- Bulgaria has established and is now leading a NATO multinational battle group.
- U.S. To Deploy Armored Unit To Bulgaria To Boost NATO's Eastern Flank RFE/RL 19 Mar 2022 -- The United States will deploy a Stryker armored-vehicle infantry company for a NATO battle group being established in Bulgaria as the Western alliance moves to shore up its eastern flank in the face of Russian aggression in the region.
- Secretary of Defense Lloyd J. Austin III and Bulgarian Prime Minister Kiril Petkov Hold Joint Press Conference DoD 19 Mar 2022
- Readout of Secretary of Defense Lloyd J. Austin III's Visit to Bulgaria DoD 19 Mar 2022
- Update 26 - IAEA Director General Statement on Situation in Ukraine IAEA 19 Mar 2022 -- Ukraine informed the International Atomic Energy Agency (IAEA) today that Ukrainian engineers had repaired and reconnected one of three previously disconnected power lines linking the Zaporizhzhya Nuclear Power Plant (NPP) to the electricity grid, Director General Rafael Mariano Grossi said.
- PM Promises Czechs Will Take Care Of Ukrainian 'Wives And Children' Fleeing Russian Invasion RFE/RL 19 Mar 2022 -- Czech Prime Minister Petr Fiala has vowed that his country will take care of the "wives and children" among the more than 3 million people who have fled Russia's invasion of Ukraine.
- Another flight carrying Chinese citizens evacuated from Ukraine arrives safely People's Daily 19 Mar 2022 -- At 6:45 a.m. on Saturday, a temporary flight carrying Chinese citizens evacuated from Ukraine arrived in Changsha, capital of central China's Hunan Province.
- Biden's comments on Taiwan a signal to China: scholars CNA 19 Mar 2022 -- U.S. President Joe Biden's comments regarding Taiwan during a telephone call with his Chinese counterpart were meant to discourage Beijing from making any rash moves on Taiwan amid the Ukraine crisis, a Taiwanese professor said Saturday.
- Biden raises concerns about tensions in Taiwan Strait during call with Xi CNA 19 Mar 2022 -- United States President Joe Biden expressed concern about China's "provocative actions" during a video call with China's leader Xi Jinping (ç¿’è¿‘å¹³) on Friday, according to the White House.
- Improper handling of Taiwan issue to influence Sino-US ties: Xi to Biden Press TV 19 Mar 2022 -- China's President Xi Jinping has warned his American counterpart, Joe Biden, that improper handling of the thorny issue of the Chinese Taipei (Taiwan) will negatively impact the already strained Sino-US relations.
- President Xi Jinping Has a Video Call with US President Joe Biden PRC MofA 19 Mar 2022 -- On the evening of 18 March, President Xi Jinping had a video call with US President Joe Biden at the request of the latter. The two Presidents had a candid and in-depth exchange of views on China-US relations, the situation in Ukraine, and other issues of mutual interest.
- Xi urges US, NATO to talk with Russia, opposes indiscriminate sanctions Global Times 19 Mar 2022 -- Chinese President Xi Jinping encouraged the US and NATO to have conversations with Russia to solve the problems behind the Ukraine crisis, and expressed opposition to indiscriminate sanctions, during his video meeting with US President Joe Biden on Friday.
- The 17th flight that brought back Chinese citizens evacuated from Ukraine arrives in Changsha Global Times 19 Mar 2022 -- The 17th flight that brought back Chinese citizens evacuated from Ukraine arrived in Changsha, Central China's Hunan Province, at 6:45 am on March 19.
- Telegram Trap: Minsk Snares Belarusians Seeking To Fight For Ukraine RFE/RL 19 Mar 2022 -- The Belarusian authorities under longtime ruler Alyaksandr Lukashenka may be setting up social-media traps to catch citizens seeking to fight for Ukraine, opposition leaders say.
- Investigative Group Publishes Map Of Destroyed Civilian Targets In Ukraine RFE/RL 19 Mar 2022 -- The open-source investigative group Bellingcat has published an interactive map of civilian facilities destroyed by Russia in the course of its invasion of Ukraine.
- War in Ukraine Will Worsen Hunger, UN Agency Says VOA 19 Mar 2022 -- The World Food Program is warning the humanitarian crisis in Ukraine threatens severe food shortages and acute hunger there, and risks triggering a global surge in hunger and malnutrition.
- Ukraine War to Compound Hunger, Poverty in Africa, Experts Say VOA 19 Mar 2022 -- Experts warn the war in Ukraine could increase hunger and food insecurity for some people in Africa. Most African countries import wheat and vegetable oil from Ukraine and Russia, a region now engulfed in conflict since Russia invaded its neighbor.
|Join the GlobalSecurity.org mailing list|