Weapons of Mass Destruction (WMD)
17 March 2022 - Ukraine Special Weapons News
- Senior Defense Official Holds a Background Briefing DoD 17 Mar 2022
- Operational information on 12.00, 17.03.2022 regarding the russian invasion Ukraine MOD 17 Mar 2022
- Operational information on 06.00, 17.03.2022 regarding the russian invasion Ukraine MOD 17 Mar 2022
- Operational information on 24.00, 16.03.2022 regarding the russian invasion Ukraine MOD 17 Mar 2022
- No Russian Shelling on Ukraine Observed in Last 24 Hours, DOD Official Says DoD News 17 Mar 2022 -- There has been little activity in the Russian invasion of Ukraine in the last 24 hours, according to a senior Defense Department official.
- Russia, Ukraine at odds on meaning of 'neutral status' Global Times 17 Mar 2022 -- Signs of a potential breakthrough showed up a bit amid the Ukraine crisis, as Russia claimed that the neutral status of Ukraine had been discussed in the latest round of bilateral talks. However, the two countries disagreed on the exact model of neutrality, with the Ukraine side saying that it had rejected Russia's proposal of Sweden's or Austria's neutrality, as the model must be "Ukrainian-style."
- Thousands Evacuated From Ukrainian Cities As Search Continues For Survivors After Mariupol Theater Shelled RFE/RL 17 Mar 2022 -- Almost 4,000 people were evacuated from Ukrainian cities through humanitarian corridors on March 17, a senior official said, a far smaller number than on the previous day, as Russia's invasion of Ukraine entered its fourth week.
- Russian Forces Seize Two More Donbass Settlements, Russian MoD Says Sputnik 17 Mar 2022 -- Russian forces have advanced 10 kilometers (6 miles) in the Donbass and seized two more settlements, Russian Defense Ministry spokesman Igor Konashenkov said on Thursday.
- NATO Secretary General, German Chancellor discuss Russia's invasion of Ukraine NATO 17 Mar 2022 -- NATO Secretary General Jens Stoltenberg thanked German chancellor Olaf Scholz for his strong personal commitment to NATO and Germany's leading role in the Alliance during a visit to Berlin on Thursday (17 March 2022).
- NATO, US Hold Key to Resolving Ukrainian Crisis, Chinese Foreign Ministry Says Sputnik 17 Mar 2022 -- NATO's eastward expansion is directly linked to the current Ukrainian crisis, and the key to resolving it is in the hands of the alliance and especially Washington, Chinese foreign ministry spokesman Zhao Lijian said on Thursday.
- NATO to 'reset military posture' in response to Russia-Ukraine war Press TV 17 Mar 2022 -- NATO defense ministers have agreed to task military commanders to come up with measures to bolster the alliance in Europe at an emergency meeting due to the "new reality" ushered in by the Russia-Ukraine war.
- US sending $180 million in military aid to Baltic states, as part of military buildup on Russia's doorstep Press TV 17 Mar 2022 -- The United States has approved $180 million in military assistance to the former Soviet republics of Estonia, Latvia and Lithuania, as part of NATO's military buildup on Russia's doorstep.
- Kosovar President Reportedly Writes To Biden Seeking Boost For NATO Bid RFE/RL 17 Mar 2022 -- Kosovar President Vjosa Osmani has written U.S. President Joe Biden to ask for his support in the Balkan nation's bid to join the NATO security alliance, according to media reports.
- Lithuanian Foreign Minister Says NATO Must Be 'Very, Very Serious' About Its Defense RFE/RL 17 Mar 2022 -- Lithuanian Foreign Minister Gabrielius Landsbergis says NATO cannot underestimate the danger posed by Russia's unprovoked invasion of Ukraine and must be fully prepared as Europe teeters on the brink of "huge political change."
- Federal Chancellor receives NATO Secretary General - Ensuring the safety of all allies Germany - Federal Government 17 Mar 2022 -- The talks between Federal Chancellor Olaf Scholz and NATO Secretary General Jens Stoltenberg on Thursday focused on the war in Ukraine and the consequences the war will have for NATO. "The Alliance must brace itself to ensure the security of all allies," said Scholz.
- Decision of Europol's Management Board on the situation in Ukraine EUROPOL 17 Mar 2022 -- The Europol Management Board discussed yesterday the worsening situation in Ukraine and the potential consequences of the war on the European Union's internal security.
- Resolute and concerted action in a difficult situation Germany - Federal Government 17 Mar 2022 -- Federal Chancellor Scholz and the Heads of Government of the LĂ¤nder condemn Russian President Putin's war of aggression against Ukraine in the strongest possible terms. The Federal and LĂ¤nder governments agree that they wish to provide swift and comprehensive assistance for the people fleeing the war.
- What is the EU doing for Ukraine? Germany - Federal Government 17 Mar 2022 -- The European Union has demonstrated a resolute, swift and united response to the war in Ukraine. Since the beginning of the invasion, it has imposed massive sanctions, initiated comprehensive relief measures and put together aid packages worth billions. A summary.
- Russia is responsible for the suffering in Ukraine, Russia alone can end this war: UK statement to the UN Security Council UK FCDO 17 Mar 2022 -- UK Ambassador Barbara Woodward gave a statement at the Security Council after the United Nations General Assembly vote on aggression against Ukraine.
- Russia's ongoing war of aggression against Ukraine: UK statement to the OSCE, 17 March 2022 UK FCDO 17 Mar 2022 -- UK Ambassador Neil Bush speaks about the impact on civilians of Russia's war against the Ukrainian people.
- Chinese FM hits back as West pressures China to choose sides in Ukraine crisis Global Times 17 Mar 2022 -- When asked whether China's position on the Russian-Ukrainian conflict is awkward, Chinese Foreign Ministry spokesperson Zhao Lijian said China's position is as open, fair and objective as it has always been.
- China willing to make efforts to help Ukraine overcome humanitarian crisis: Chinese FM Global Times 17 Mar 2022 -- China supports all efforts that will help de-escalate tensions and reach a political settlement in Ukraine, and China is willing to make its contribution to help the country overcome the humanitarian crisis, Chinese Foreign Ministry spokesperson Zhao Lijian said on Thursday in response to Chinese ambassador in Ukraine Fan Xianrong's remarks on helping Ukraine with its economy during a meeting with local officials in Lviv.
- Criticism of Russia, support for Ukraine surface on Chinese social media Radio Free Asia 17 Mar 2022 -- Cracks have started to appear in the ruling Chinese Communist Party (CCP)'s online censorship of the Russian invasion of Ukraine, with social media users posting video footage showing downed Russian aircraft, Ukrainian civilians killed by Russian troops, and Russian soldiers requisitioning food from local stores to stave off hunger in recent days.
- Facts about Russia-Ukraine conflict: Turkey, Poland agree on more diplomatic efforts to end Ukrainian crisis People's Daily 17 Mar 2022 -- The Russia-Ukraine conflict continues on Thursday as relevant parties are working to broker a peaceful solution. Following are the latest developments of the situation:lodymyr Zelensky on Wednesday asked the United States to "do more" to help Ukraine defend itself against the ongoing military operation by Russia.
- Turkey, Poland agree on more diplomatic efforts for Ukrainian crisis People's Daily 17 Mar 2022 -- Turkey and Poland agreed to step up diplomatic efforts to end the Ukrainian crisis, Turkish President Recep Tayyip Erdogan said on Wednesday.
- In Break With Moscow, Uzbeks Won't Recognize Separatist 'Republics' In Ukraine RFE/RL 17 Mar 2022 -- Uzbekistan says it does not recognize the pro-Russian separatist-controlled districts in Ukraine's Donbas, known as the Donetsk and Luhansk "people's republics," and has called for a "peaceful solution" to end Russia's unprovoked attack against Ukraine.
- Secretary Blinken's Call with Qatari Deputy Prime Minister and Minister of Foreign Affairs Al-Thani US Dept. of State 17 Mar 2022
Join the GlobalSecurity.org mailing list