Weapons of Mass Destruction (WMD)
14 March 2022 - Ukraine Special Weapons News
- Operational information on 06.00, 14.03.2022 regarding the russian invasion Ukraine MOD 14 Mar 2022
- Operational information on 12.00, 14.03.2022 regarding the russian invasion Ukraine MOD 14 Mar 2022
- Operational information on 18.00, 14.03.2022 regarding the russian invasion Ukraine MOD 14 Mar 2022
- Ukraine, Russia Report No Progress in Peace Talks VOA 14 Mar 2022 -- Ukrainian officials say Russian troops fired artillery on suburbs of the capital, Kyiv, Monday, as Russian and Ukrainian delegations held a fourth round of talks without signs of a breakthrough.
- Russians Pounding Ukraine Cities With Long-Range Fires, Says Official DoD News 14 Mar 2022 -- Russian forces are increasing long-range fires on Mariupol, Kyiv, Kharkiv, Chernihiv and other population centers in Ukraine, a senior Defense Department official said at the Pentagon today.
- Russian Targets More Than 'Messaging,' Pentagon Spokesperson Says DoD News 14 Mar 2022 -- On Sunday, long-range Russian airstrikes hit the city of Yavoriv in western Ukraine, less than 15 miles from the Polish border â€” which is NATO territory. The location is where National Guard troops from Florida just weeks ago trained alongside Ukrainian troops â€” though Americans are no longer at the location.
- 'Hard Negotiation': Ukraine, Russia resume peace talks after citing progress Press TV 14 Mar 2022 -- Diplomatic efforts to broker peace between the warring sides in Ukraine have gathered momentum with negotiators from Moscow and Kiev resuming fresh round of talks on Monday.
- Chernobyl Without Power Again After Russian Forces Damage High-Voltage Line, Ukrainian Energy Company Says RFE/RL 14 Mar 2022 -- The Chernobyl nuclear plant has lost power again after Russian forces damaged a high-voltage power line to the plant for the second time, Ukraine's national energy company, Ukrenergo, said on March 14.
- Russian Strikes Continue As Ukrainian Negotiator Says Talks 'Paused' RFE/RL 14 Mar 2022 -- As the Russian military continues its deadly strikes against Ukraine, a fourth round of talks between the two sides on ending Moscow's unprovoked invasion failed to make progress but it is set to continue on March 15.
- Russian Armed Forces Destroy 3,920 Targets of Ukrainian Military Infrastructure, MoD Says Sputnik 14 Mar 2022 -- The Russian armed forces have disabled 3,920 facilities of the Ukrainian military infrastructure as part of the special military operation in the country, Russian defence ministry spokesman Igor Konashenkov said on Monday.
- Russia, Ukraine to hold online negotiations on Monday People's Daily 14 Mar 2022 -- Russian and Ukrainian delegations will resume talks on Monday via video link, Kremlin spokesman Dmitry Peskov said on Sunday.
- Secretary-General's remarks to the Press on the war in Ukraine [as delivered] United Nations 14 Mar 2022
- Ukraine: 'We need peace now' declares Guterres, warning of global hunger meltdown UN News 14 Mar 2022 -- Ukraine is being "decimated before the eyes of the world" with Russia's military offensive against civilians "reaching terrifying proportions", said the UN chief on Monday, warning that a resulting meltdown of the global economy is provoking a hunger crisis that is hitting the poorest, hardest.
- Ukraine war 'most severe' test ever for European security body UN News 14 Mar 2022 -- The war in Ukraine is the most severe test the Organization for Security and Cooperation in Europe (OSCE) has faced since its creation in 1975, the top UN political affairs official told the Security Council on Monday, as the 15-member organ held its annual briefing on the OSCE's work against the backdrop of intensifying bombardments of key Ukrainian cities.
- Ukraine health facilities 'stretched to breaking point', warns WHO UN News 14 Mar 2022 -- The World Health Organisation (WHO) warned on Monday that it is working "day and night" to keep medical supply chains open and preserve the health system in Ukraine, where, it says, medical facilities are stretched to breaking point.
- Update 21 - IAEA Director General Statement on Situation in Ukraine IAEA 14 Mar 2022 -- Ukraine informed the International Atomic Energy Agency (IAEA) today that efforts were continuing to resume external electricity supplies to the Chornobyl Nuclear Power Plant (NPP), a day after Ukrainian specialist teams repaired one of two damaged power lines connecting the site to the grid, Director General Rafael Mariano Grossi said.
- WHO is working day and night to keep medical supply chains open and preserve Ukraine's health system WHO 14 Mar 2022
- External power supply restored at Chernobyl plant, Ukraine tells IAEA People's Daily 14 Mar 2022 -- External electricity supplies have been restored at Ukraine's Chernobyl nuclear power plant, four days after its disconnection from the power grid, the International Atomic Energy Agency (IAEA) said Sunday.
- "Council of Europe has been at the forefront to ensure a prompt, cohesive and strong reaction", says Della Vedova at PACE Council of Europe 14 Mar 2022 -- "The Council of Europe, the depositary and guardian of the fundamental principles of coexistence, respect for human rights, the promotion of democracy and the rule of law, has been at the forefront to ensure a prompt, cohesive and strong reaction", highlighted Italian Under-Secretary of Foreign Affairs and International Co-operation Benedetto Della Vedova, while addressing PACE.
- Secretary General condemns the Russian Federation's aggression, calls for solidarity with Ukraine Council of Europe 14 Mar 2022 -- Addressing the extraordinary session of the Parliamentary Assembly of the Council of Europe (PACE), Secretary General Marija PejÄŤinoviÄ‡ BuriÄ‡ spoke about the organisation's response to the ongoingRussian aggression in Ukraine.
- Ukrainian Prime Minister demands that Russia be immediately ousted from the Council of Europe Council of Europe 14 Mar 2022 -- Ukrainian Prime Minister Denys Shmyhal, addressing an extraordinary session of PACE by video-link, has demanded that the Russian Federation be immediately ousted from the Council of Europe.
- OSCE Chair: Russian Actions in Ukraine 'State Terrorism VOA 14 Mar 2022 -- The chairperson of the Organization for Security and Cooperation in Europe said Monday that Russia's targeting of Ukrainian civilians, as well as schools and hospitals, is "state terrorism."
- Research Study Shows Jump In European Arms Imports Amid Deteriorating Russia Ties RFE/RL 14 Mar 2022 -- Europe led the world in the growth of arms imports over the past five years and will likely continue to do so as countries build up weapons stocks in the face of Russia's invasion of Ukraine, according to a study published by the Stockholm International Peace Research Institute (SIPRI).
- EU Members Agree New Package Of Russia Sanctions RFE/RL 14 Mar 2022 -- European Union member states have agreed on a fourth package of sanctions against Russia following its invasion of Ukraine, the office of the French EU presidency has announced.
- UK government to donate generators to provide vital power for Ukraine UK FCDO 14 Mar 2022 -- The UK government has unveiled plans to provide vital energy support to Ukrainian hospitals and shelters.
- Shipment of Asustek products to Russia at 'effective standstill' CNA 14 Mar 2022 -- Asustek Computer Inc., one of Taiwan's leading PC brands, said Monday evening on social media that shipments of the company's products to Russia were at "an effective standstill" and the company plans to donate to relief efforts in Ukraine.
- Australia Targets 33 Russian Businessmen, Including Abramovich, With Sanctions Amid Ukraine Crisis Sputnik 14 Mar 2022 -- Australia is introducing more sanctions targeting Russian businessmen and other prominent figures, as well as their family members, over the situation in Ukraine, Australian Foreign Minister Marise Payne said on Monday.
- Australia to Sanction Russian Oligarchs VOA 14 Mar 2022 -- Australia has imposed fresh sanctions on wealthy Russian entrepreneurs because of the Kremlin's invasion of Ukraine. The move is part of Australia's strategy to penalize people of economic and political value to Russia.
- Israel Rules Out Providing 'Route to Bypass Sanctions' Imposed on Russia Sputnik 14 Mar 2022 -- The Israeli government is making efforts to avoid the country becoming a detour for anti-Russia sanctions, Israeli Foreign Minister Yair Lapid said on Monday.
- Chinese FM raises six key questions on US bio labs in Ukraine, demanding truth Global Times 14 Mar 2022 -- At Monday's routine news conference of the Chinese Foreign Ministry, the spokesperson for the ministry rebutted the US' inconsistent and flawed responses regarding its biological laboratories in Ukraine, urging a full clarification of its bio-military activities within and outside its borders.
- Another flight carrying Chinese citizens evacuated from Ukraine arrives safely People's Daily 14 Mar 2022 -- At 8:50 a.m. on Monday, a temporary flight carrying Chinese citizens evacuated from Ukraine arrived in Dalian, northeast China's Liaoning Province.
- Background Press Call by Senior Administration Officials on China The White House 14 Mar 2022
- China, US keep dialogue, but 'no respect, no cooperation' Global Times 14 Mar 2022 -- China's top diplomat Yang Jiechi met US National Security Advisor Jake Sullivan in the Italian capital of Rome Monday to exchange views on China-US relations and other international and regional issues of commonâ€‚concern.
- U.S.-China Talks In Rome Put Beijing's Support For Russia In The Crosshair RFE/RL 14 Mar 2022 -- Reports that Moscow has asked China for military equipment have raised fresh questions about how far Beijing is willing to go in backing Russia as it faces cutting sanctions and mounting international pressure over its war in Ukraine.
- US Watching 'Very Closely' for Chinese Support to Russia Amid Ukraine Op, State Department Says Sputnik 14 Mar 2022 -- Earlier, Chinese and Russian officials each dismissed claims made by anonymous US officials to Western media that the People's Republic was prepared to assist Moscow with weaponry and economic aid amid Russia's ongoing military operation in Ukraine.
- China Slams Claims About Russia Asking for Military Assistance in Ukraine Op as 'US Disinformation' Sputnik 14 Mar 2022 -- Earlier, a spokesperson for the Chinese embassy to the United States reportedly rejected media allegations that Moscow had sought Beijing's help with military equipment and other logistics for its operation to de-Nazify Ukraine. Liu Pengyu, a spokesman for the embassy, reportedly told Reuters on Sunday that he had "never heard of that."
- US: China will face consequences if it helps Russia evade sanctions Press TV 14 Mar 2022 -- The United States says China will face consequences if it helps Russia evade sanctions imposed by Washington and its allies in response to Moscow's military operation in Ukraine.
- Commending New Zealand's New Sanctions Regime US Dept. of State 14 Mar 2022 -- The United States welcomes the passage of New Zealand's new sanctions regime, which allows the imposition of sanctions on those responsible for, or associated with, Russia's invasion of Ukraine.
- Secretary Blinken's Call with Croatian Prime Minister Plenkovic US Dept. of State 14 Mar 2022
- Secretary Blinken's Call with Armenian Prime Minister Pashinyan US Dept. of State 14 Mar 2022
- Putin Threatens to Privatize Western Companies that Exit Russia VOA 14 Mar 2022 -- Russian officials have said that they will move to nationalize the assets of Western companies that pull out of their country over its invasion of Ukraine, a decision that will cause significant economic harm to hundreds of businesses while, at least temporarily, preserving the jobs of the tens of thousands of Russians employed by them.
- Fearing Fallout From Putin's War, Russians Flee Abroad RFE/RL 14 Mar 2022 -- Russia's invasion of Ukraine has prompted tens of thousands of middle-class Russians to abruptly flee abroad as they stare at a bleak future in their increasingly isolated homeland.
- Australia, Netherlands File Joint Case Against Russia Over MH17 Downing RFE/RL 14 Mar 2022 -- Australia and the Netherlands have launched joint legal proceedings at the International Civil Aviation Organization (ICAO) against Russia over the downing of Malaysia Airlines flight MH17.
- Kiev, Washington Responsible for Failure of Minsk Peace Agreements, Ukraine's Former President Says Sputnik 14 Mar 2022 -- Ukraine descended into an eight-year-long political and economic crisis and civil war in the aftermath of the 'Revolution of Dignity' - the February 2014 coup d'etat which overthrew the country's unpopular but democratically elected government and replaced it with political forces seeking to integrate Kiev into the European Union and NATO.
- Ukraine Economy Set to Experience Deep Recession, IMF Says VOA 14 Mar 2022 -- The ongoing Russian invasion of Ukraine has caused a devastating loss of human life and substantial economic damage to the country, with economic output expected to fall by a minimum of 10% in 2022, according to a report by the International Monetary Fund.
Join the GlobalSecurity.org mailing list