12 March 2022 - Ukraine Special Weapons News
- Russia Says It Could Target Western Arms Supplies To Ukraine RFE/RL 12 Mar 2022 -- A senior Russian official warned on March 12 that Moscow could target Western shipments of military equipment to Ukraine.
- Day 17: Sirens sound as Russian troops regroup for possible Kiev assault Press TV 12 Mar 2022 -- Air raid sirens have been heard across most cities in Ukraine, with President Volodymyr Zelensky saying his country has "reached a strategic turning point" in the war with Russian forces appearing to regroup for a possible assault on Kiev.
- Ukraine sets up 12 humanitarian corridors in 4 regions People's Daily 12 Mar 2022 -- Ukraine established 12 humanitarian corridors in four regions on Friday to allow civilians to leave the conflict-torn areas, the Ukrainian government-run Ukrinform news agency reported, citing Ukrainian Deputy Prime Minister Iryna Vereshchuk.
- Address by the Minister of Defence of Ukraine, Oleksii Reznikov Ukraine MOD 12 Mar 2022
- Address by President of Ukraine Volodymyr Zelenskyy to Italians and all Europeans President of Ukraine 12 Mar 2022
- Ukraine and its citizens deserved to be in the EU - Volodymyr Zelenskyy President of Ukraine 12 Mar 2022
- Russia is already moving away from ultimatums, but full-fledged talks require the participation of Western partners - Volodymyr Zelenskyy President of Ukraine 12 Mar 2022
- It is time to be effective in routine affairs and provide everything necessary for the defense - address by President of Ukraine Volodymyr Zelenskyy President of Ukraine 12 Mar 2022
- Regular evacuation corridors are being opened and humanitarian aid is planned to be delivered; we hope that the Russian Federation will comply with its commitments - Iryna Vereshchuk President of Ukraine 12 Mar 2022
- Today, everyone is gaining glory for Ukraine in his or her place - address by President Volodymyr Zelenskyy President of Ukraine 12 Mar 2022
- Telephone conversation with Olaf Scholz and Emmanuel Macron President of Russia 12 Mar 2022 -- Vladimir Putin had a telephone conversation with Chancellor of the Federal Republic of Germany Olaf Scholz and President of the French Republic Emmanuel Macron.
- France Says Putin Shows No Interest In Ending War; Zelenskiy Says 1,300 Ukrainian Troops Have Died RFE/RL 12 Mar 2022 -- Russian President Vladimir Putin did not show any interest in ending his invasion of Ukraine during a call on March 12 with French President Emmanuel Macron and German Chancellor Olaf Scholz, a French Presidency official said.
- Putin approves sending foreign volunteers to Donbass People's Daily 12 Mar 2022 -- Russian President Vladimir Putin said Friday that he supported the idea of allowing volunteers from abroad to provide military assistance to Donbass.
- Putin slams 'flagrant violation' of international humanitarian law by Ukrainian forces Press TV 12 Mar 2022 -- Russian President Vladimir Putin has slammed the "flagrant violation" of international humanitarian law by Ukrainian forces, calling on the leaders of Germany and France to pressure Kiev to force its nationalist battalions to stop their crimes.
- Memorandum on the Delegation of Authority Under Section 506(a)(1) of the Foreign Assistance Act of 1961 The White House 12 Mar 2022
- $200 Million in New Security Assistance for Ukraine US Dept. of State 12 Mar 2022 -- The people of Ukraine are inspiring the world as they defend their country from Russia's premeditated, unprovoked, and unjustified invasion of their country. The United States and our Allies and partners stand in solidarity with the people and government of Ukraine in the face of the Kremlin's aggression.
- US ready to take diplomatic steps to resolve Ukraine crisis: State Dept. Press TV 12 Mar 2022 -- The United States is willing to take diplomatic steps to resolve the Ukrainian crisis, a State Department spokesperson has said, as Kiev expresses its readiness to negotiate with Moscow.
- U.S. Sanctions Russian Board Members At Novikombank And ABR Management, Peskov's Family RFE/RL 12 Mar 2022 -- The United States has sanctioned several board members at Novikombank and ABR Management, including Vice Governor of St. Petersburg Vladimir Nikolaevich Knyaginin, over Russia's war against Ukraine, U.S. Secretary of State Antony Blinken said.
- U.S. to revoke Russia's most-favored nation status amid Ukraine crisis People's Daily 12 Mar 2022 -- The U.S. government will revoke Russia's most-favored nation trade status amid the Ukraine crisis, the White House said Friday, noting that it will work with Group of Seven (G7) countries and the European Union to roll out new sanctions.
- 'Putin Won't Stop In Ukraine': Former NATO Secretary-General Says Alliance Sent 'Wrong Signal' In 2008 RFE/RL 12 Mar 2022 -- In an interview with RFE/RL's Georgian Service, former NATO Secretary-General Anders Fogh Rasmussen discusses how Vladimir Putin's views have changed over the years.
- Stoltenberg: NATO Won't Give Up Open Door Policy, Right to Station Troops in States Ringing Russia Sputnik 12 Mar 2022 -- Russian and NATO officials held talks in Brussels on Wednesday to discuss the security proposals put forward by the Russian Foreign Ministry in mid-December aimed at easing tensions between Moscow and the Western alliance. The discussions took place following talks in Geneva between Russian and US officials on Monday.
- Nuland Says NATO Poses No Threat to Russia Unless Threatened Sputnik 12 Mar 2022 -- US Under Secretary of State for Political Affairs Victoria Nuland said on Tuesday that NATO does not pose a threat to Russia unless the alliance is threatened.
- Update 19 - IAEA Director General Statement on Situation in Ukraine IAEA 12 Mar 2022 -- Ukraine informed the International Atomic Energy Agency (IAEA) today that Russia was planning to take full and permanent control of the Zaporizhzhya Nuclear Power Plant (NPP) under the management of the state firm Rosatom, Director General Rafael Mariano Grossi said. This was later denied by the Russian Federation.
- Italy Seizes Super Yacht Owned By Russian Oligarch Melnichenko RFE/RL 12 Mar 2022 -- Italian authorities have seized a super yacht owned by a Russian billionaire placed on an EU sanctions list following Russia's invasion of Ukraine.
- China urges hard evidence from US to clarify bio weapons suspicion in Ukraine Global Times 12 Mar 2022 -- As the Russia-Ukraine conflict continues to unfold, the Russian government claimed that its forces found the US is using laboratories in Ukraine to develop biological weapons, but the US denied such claims and accused Russia of spreading "disinformation." During a UN Security Council meeting on this issue on Friday, China urged the US to be transparent and provide hard evidence to clarify itself, after US blamed China of "spreading disinformation."
- China's first batch of humanitarian aid arrives in Ukraine Global Times 12 Mar 2022 -- China's first batch of humanitarian assistance to Ukraine has arrived in the western Ukrainian city Chernivtsi. The second batch is expected to depart from Beijing on Sat and arrive in Ukraine on Mon.
- Asus mum after asked by Ukrainian minister to cut ties with Russia CNA 12 Mar 2022 -- Taiwanese electronics company Asustek Computer (Asus) has chosen not to respond for the moment to an appeal by Ukraine's minister of digital transformation to stop doing business with Russia in the wake of its invasion of Ukraine.
- Shortages Of Cash, Food, Gas: Mayor Of Ukrainian Town Describes Two Weeks Behind Russian Lines RFE/RL 12 Mar 2022 -- On the first day of Moscow's invasion of Ukraine, Russian forces moved the roughly 50 kilometers from the previously occupied Ukrainian region of Crimea to the town of Oleshky, just outside the southern city of Kherson.
- What's Behind Russian Support For Putin's War In Ukraine? RFE/RL 12 Mar 2022 -- A woman fleeing the shelling of the northeastern Ukrainian city of Kharkiv by Russian forces on March 6 stopped for a moment to ask the Russian people a question that many Ukrainians and other foreigners have been asking: Why don't they protest what is being done in their name?
- Largest Hypermarket Chain In Russia's Far East Imposes Limits Amid Buying Frenzy RFE/RL 12 Mar 2022 -- The largest hypermarket chain in Russia's Far East is restricting how much sugar, salt, and other essential foods people can purchase amid a buying frenzy triggered by fears of future shortages.
- Portuguese Rabbi Detained Over Naturalization Of Russian Tycoon Abramovich RFE/RL 12 Mar 2022 -- Portuguese prosecutors have detained a rabbi over the naturalization of a number of Jewish people, including Roman Abramovich, the Russian billionaire owner of Chelsea football club who was put on the United Kingdom's sanctions list in response to Russia's unprovoked invasion of Ukraine.
- US, Russia exchange accusations at UN over bio-weapons in Ukraine Press TV 12 Mar 2022 -- The US and Russia exchange accusations at the United Nations Security Council over alleged biological weapons in Ukraine. Russia insists that the US has financed a biological weapons research program in Ukraine while Washington denies the accusation.
|Join the GlobalSecurity.org mailing list|