Weapons of Mass Destruction (WMD)
08 March 2022 - Ukraine Special Weapons News
- Russian Invaders Crash Into Ukrainian Resistance DoD News 08 Mar 2022 -- With almost all the Russian forces that amassed on Ukraine's borders now within the country, the wave of Russian invaders continues to crash on the rocks of Ukrainian resistance, said a senior defense official speaking on background.
- Ukrainian Intelligence Claims Senior Russian General Killed Near Kharkiv, Second In Recent Days RFE/RL 08 Mar 2022 -- Ukrainian intelligence says a top Russian military officer has been killed in fighting near the city of Kharkiv and has released what it says are intercepted phone calls that appear to partly corroborate the death.
- UN Says Ukrainian Refugees Surpass 2 Million, Calls For Safe Evacuation Of Trapped Civilians RFE/RL 08 Mar 2022 -- The United Nations refugee chief says the number of people fleeing Russia's advance into Ukraine has reached 2 million.
- Situation in Parts of Ukraine 'Apocalyptic' as People Run Out of Essential Supplies VOA 08 Mar 2022 -- U.N. and international aid agencies are calling for an end to hostilities in Ukraine as the number of civilian casualties grows and more people flee in terror to safety in neighboring countries. The latest U.N. figures put the number of civilian casualties at 1,335, including 474 people killed and 861 injured.
- Ukraine, Russia Agree to Civilian Evacuations VOA 08 Mar 2022 -- Civilians in some parts of Ukraine besieged by Russian forces were able to evacuate Tuesday, fleeing in buses or on foot amid temporary cease-fires.
- Kiev Has Confirmed Only One of Ten Planned Evacuation Corridors, Russian MoD Says Sputnik 08 Mar 2022 -- The Russian military moved to establish corridors for the safe evacuation of civilians from cities near the frontline on Monday, but later accused the Ukrainian government and ultranationalist militia formations of failing to inform people of the opportunity to leave, or deliberately blocking civilians from exiting urban areas altogether.
- Russian Armed Forces Destroy Almost 2,600 Ukrainian Military Facilities, MoD Says Sputnik 08 Mar 2022 -- The destroyed targets included elements of Ukraine's military infrastructure, such as command facilities and radar stations, and a wide assortment of military hardware.
- No breakthrough in third round of Russia-Ukraine talks People's Daily 08 Mar 2022 -- Russian and Ukrainian negotiators failed to achieve major breakthrough during their third round of peace talks in Belarus on Monday, while a negotiator said the fourth round will take place in "the very near future."
- Russia opens humanitarian corridors in several Ukrainian cities Press TV 08 Mar 2022 -- Russia has opened humanitarian corridors in five Ukrainian cities to allow the safe evacuation of people from the Ukrainian capital of Kiev and other cities in the crisis-stricken country.
- Russia, Ukraine end 3rd round of peace talks with no significant results People's Daily 08 Mar 2022 -- Russian and Ukrainian negotiators failed to achieve significant results during their third round of peace talks in Belarus on Monday.
- Address by the Minister of Defence of Ukraine Oleksii Reznikov Ukraine MOD 08 Mar 2022
- The world does not believe in the future of Russia, yet speaks about Ukraine, helps and is preparing to support our reconstruction after the war - address by President Volodymyr Zelenskyy President of Ukraine 08 Mar 2022
- Address by the President of Ukraine to the Parliament of the United Kingdom President of Ukraine 08 Mar 2022
- Ukraine must have a collective security agreement with all its neighbors with the participation of the world's leading powers - President President of Ukraine 08 Mar 2022
- In the leading capitals, humanity must overcome fear and benefits, and then the Ukrainian sky will be safe, and the cities will be unblocked - address by President Volodymyr Zelenskyy President of Ukraine 08 Mar 2022
- Ukraine's struggle for freedom depends not only on us, but also on other countries that share the values of freedom - Volodymyr Zelenskyy President of Ukraine 08 Mar 2022
- Iryna Vereshchuk: We urge the Russian side to adhere to the agreed and documented route of the humanitarian corridor from Sumy President of Ukraine 08 Mar 2022
- Zelensky ready to 'discuss, find compromises' over Crimea, Donbass with Russia Press TV 08 Mar 2022 -- Two weeks after Russia launched a military campaign in Ukraine, President Volodymyr Zelensky says he is ready to "discuss" and "find compromises" for the status of the Crimean Peninsula and other separatist territories.
- Ukraine's Ruling Party Proposes New Security Guarantees Assuming Russian Recognition of Statehood Sputnik 08 Mar 2022 -- On Monday, Kremlin spokesman Dmitri Peskov called on Kiev to guarantee the country's non-bloc status, recognize Crimea as part of Russia and recognize the independence of the Donbass republics. Ukrainian President Volodymyr Zelensky responded by saying he would be prepared to "discuss and find the compromise" on these issues.
- Zelensky Expresses Readiness to 'Discuss and Find Compromise' Regarding Status of Crimea, Donbass Sputnik 08 Mar 2022 -- Crimea broke off from Ukraine and rejoined Russia in March 2014 following the Maidan coup in Kiev, which witnessed the overthrow of the country's government and its replacement by ultranationalist and pro-Western forces. The Donetsk and Lugansk People's Republics were established in the spring of 2014, also in response to the coup in Kiev.
- Telephone conversation with Prime Minister of Israel Naftali Bennett President of Russia 08 Mar 2022 -- Vladimir Putin had a telephone conversation with Prime Minister of Israel Naftali Bennett, at the initiative of the Israeli side
- Comment by Foreign Ministry Spokeswoman Maria Zakharova on military biological activity in Ukrainian biological laboratories Russia Ministry of Foreign Affairs 08 Mar 2022
- Data on Biolabs in Ukraine Confirms BTWC Claims Against US, Moscow Says Sputnik 08 Mar 2022 -- Data on biological laboratories in Ukraine confirm claims against the United States over its compliance with the Biological and Toxin Weapons Convention (BTWC), Russian Foreign Ministry spokeswoman Maria Zakharova said.
- Russia Rockets Past Iran to 'World's Most Sanctioned Nation' Status Sputnik 08 Mar 2022 -- The United States and its European, Canadian, Australian and Japanese allies slapped Russian businesses, government officials and businesspeople with over 2,700 sanctions after Russia's 21 February move to recognize the Donetsk and Lugansk People's Republics as independent states, and Moscow's subsequent military operation in Ukraine.
- Russian Foreign Ministry: Gas Prices in Europe Soaring Due to Ban on Nord Stream 2 Sputnik 08 Mar 2022 -- The freeze of the Nord Stream 2 pipeline has led to the current surge in gas prices on the European market and Moscow regrets the "politicisation" of this economic project, a senior official in the Russian Foreign Ministry, Dmitry Birichevsky, said.
- Russia hits back with countermoves to withstand West sanctions Global Times 08 Mar 2022 -- As the Russia-Ukraine military conflict entered its 13th day on Tuesday, global attention has increasingly focused on the economic repercussions of the West-fanned tensions around Ukraine, with soaring oil prices in the wake of Western sanctions casting a shadow over the global economic rebound amid inflation woes and the still raging pandemic.
- Russia threatens to cut Europe's gas supplies if West bans energy imports Press TV 08 Mar 2022 -- Russia has threatened to cut its oil supplies to Europe, after the US pushed its European allies to consider banning Russian oil imports over the ongoing military conflict in Ukraine.
- Russia warns West of oil at $300 if they cut energy imports Press TV 08 Mar 2022 -- Russia has warned that Western nations may face oil prices of more than $300 per barrel and the likely shutdown of a gas pipeline to Europe if they implement their threats to cut energy supplies from Russia.
- Pentagon denies 'rumor' it could send Taiwan's F-16s to Poland CNA 08 Mar 2022 -- The U.S. Department of Defense said Monday it has no plans to send F-16 fighter jets scheduled for delivery to Taiwan to Poland instead, calling speculation raised by a recent American media report "not accurate."
- Senior Defense Official Holds a Background Briefing, March 8, 2022 DoD 08 Mar 2022
- ODNI Releases 2022 Annual Threat Assessment of the U.S. Intelligence Community Director of National Intelligence 08 Mar 2022 -- The Office of the Director of National Intelligence (ODNI) today released the 2022 Annual Threat Assessment of the U.S. Intelligence Community.
- U.S. Intel Officials Detail Threats From China, Russia DoD News 08 Mar 2022 -- Avril Haines, the director of National Intelligence, discussed the intelligence community's assessment of China and Russia â America's strategic competitors â during testimony before Congress this morning.
- US Intelligence Warns of 'Ugly Next Few Weeks' for Ukraine VOA 08 Mar 2022 -- Russia's military failures in Ukraine, combined with crippling economic sanctions, are likely to spur Russian President Vladimir Putin to apply heavier and more indiscriminate force in his war against Kyiv, according to the latest public assessment by U.S. intelligence officials.
- US intelligence officials: Russia likely to escalate military actions in Ukraine Press TV 08 Mar 2022 -- US intelligence officials have told Congress that Russia is likely to escalate its military actions in Ukraine, adding that Russian President Vladimir Putin is unlikely to be deterred by US-led punitive measures.
- U.S. Treasury Guidance on President Biden's Executive Order US Treasury 08 Mar 2022 -- the U.S. Treasury released one General License and several Frequently Asked Questions to aid in the wind-down of deliveries of existing purchases that have already been contracted for.
- Biden Won't Subsidize 'Putin's War,' Bans Russian Energy Imports VOA 08 Mar 2022 -- U.S. President Joe Biden announced a ban on Russian oil and other energy imports on Tuesday in retaliation for the invasion of Ukraine.
- US Bans Imports of Russian Oil Amid Ukraine Invasion VOA 08 Mar 2022 -- The U.S. is banning all imports of Russian oil and gas, President Joe Biden announced Tuesday â a move that he said "will deal another powerful blow to Putin's war machine" as Russian forces under the command of President Vladimir Putin continue their assault on Ukraine.
- Biden Bans Russian Oil Imports; U.S. Intelligence Warns Putin May Escalate Attack On Ukraine RFE/RL 08 Mar 2022 -- U.S. President Joe Biden has announced a U.S. ban on Russian oil imports, calling it a "powerful blow" to Russian President Vladimir Putin's war in Ukraine.
- Biden: US bans Russian oil imports over Ukraine action Press TV 08 Mar 2022 -- US President Joe Biden has announced a ban on American imports of Russian oil, taking aim at the heart of the Russian economy over the military operation in Ukraine.
- Background Press Call by a Senior Administration Official on Announcement of U.S. Ban on Imports of Russian Oil, Liquefied Natural Gas, and Coal The White House 08 Mar 2022
- Remarks by President Biden Announcing U.S. Ban on Imports of Russian Oil, Liquefied Natural Gas, and Coal The White House 08 Mar 2022
- Message to the Congress on Prohibiting Certain Imports and New Investments With Respect to Continued Russian Federation Efforts to Undermine the Sovereignty and Territorial Integrity of Ukraine. The White House 08 Mar 2022
- Executive Order on Prohibiting Certain Imports and New Investments With Respect to Continued Russian Federation Efforts to Undermine the Sovereignty and Territorial Integrity of Ukraine The White House 08 Mar 2022
- Statement of the Minister of Foreign Affairs of the Republic of Poland in connection with the statement by the US Secretary of State on providing airplanes to Ukraine Republic of Poland 08 Mar 2022 -- The authorities of the Republic of Poland, after consultations between the President and the Government, are ready to deploy - immediately and free of charge - all their MIG-29 jets to the Ramstein Air Base and place them at the disposal of the Government of the United States of America.
- Statement by Pentagon Press Secretary John F. Kirby on Security Assistance to Ukraine DoD 08 Mar 2022 -- "We are now in contact with the Polish government following the statement issued today. As we have said, the decision about whether to transfer Polish-owned planes to Ukraine is ultimately one for the Polish government. We will continue consulting with our Allies and partners about our ongoing security assistance to Ukraine, because, in fact, Poland's proposal shows just some of the complexities this issue presents."
- Poland Ready To Hand Over All MiG-29 Warplanes To U.S. In Germany RFE/RL 08 Mar 2022 -- Poland has said it is ready to hand over all its MiG-29 jets to a U.S. air base in Germany and urged other NATO members with the same type of Russian-made warplanes to do the same, the Foreign Ministry has said, although a U.S. official later said the announcement was a "surprise."
- UK Vows to 'Support' Poland 'Whatever Choice It Makes' Regarding Transfer of Jets to Ukraine Sputnik 08 Mar 2022 -- Earlier, Poland officially stated it had no plans to transfer its warplanes to Ukraine, with Prime Minister Andrzej Duda emphasizing that such a move would drag NATO into the conflict. He added his country was supporting Ukraine with humanitarian aid.
- Secretary General in Latvia: NATO stands united NATO 08 Mar 2022 -- NATO Secretary General met with President Egils Levits in Riga on Tuesday (8 March 2022) at the start of a visit to Latvia. They discussed Russia's brutal invasion of Ukraine, its humanitarian impact and the implications for Euro-Atlantic security.
- UK to Stop Importing Russian Oil & Oil Products by End of 2022, Energy Minister Says Sputnik 08 Mar 2022 -- The announcement came at almost the same time that US President Joe Biden said that Washington would ban imports of Russian oil.
- Council of Europe leaders make joint statement on the aggression of the Russian Federation against Ukraine Council of Europe 08 Mar 2022 -- The Italian Minister for Foreign Affairs and International Cooperation and Chair of the Council of Europe's Committee of Ministers, Luigi Di Maio, the President of the Council of Europe's Parliamentary Assembly, Tiny Kox, and the Secretary General of the Council of Europe, Marija PejÄinoviÄ BuriÄ, have made the following statement:
- Ukraine: EU steps up solidarity with those fleeing war European Commission 08 Mar 2022
- Questions and Answers on the Cohesion Action for Refugees in Europe (CARE) proposal European Commission 08 Mar 2022
- Ukraine: Cohesion funding to support people fleeing Russia's invasion of Ukraine European Commission 08 Mar 2022
- Taiwan's inclusion on Russian 'unfriendly list' has little impact: Wu CNA 08 Mar 2022 -- Russia's decision to put Taiwan on a list of foreign countries deemed "unfriendly" to Moscow after its invasion of Ukraine will have little impact on bilateral relations for the time being, Foreign Minister Joseph Wu (å³éç®) said Tuesday.
- New Zealand Plans Historic Sanctions on Russia Over Ukraine Invasion VOA 08 Mar 2022 -- A groundbreaking law enabling New Zealand to freeze the assets of those associated with Russia is expected to pass this week.
- Australia Imposes New Sanctions on Russia Over Ukraine Invasion VOA 08 Mar 2022 -- Australia announced a set of new sanctions on Russia over its invasion of Ukraine, including against people identified as "Moscow's propagandists and purveyors of disinformation."
- Phone call between Prime Minister Shri Narendra Modi and H.E. Mr. Mark Rutte, Prime Minister of the Netherlands India PIB 08 Mar 2022 -- Prime Minister Narendra Modi spoke on phone today with H
- Can China Help Bring Russia To The Negotiating Table? RFE/RL 08 Mar 2022 -- A flurry of high-stakes diplomacy -- with growing calls by Western officials for China to use its influence to pressure Russia to end its war in Ukraine -- has shifted the focus on Beijing's role as a potential mediator in the crisis.
- Sign me up for Ukraine fight: Not so fast, say Southeast Asia governments Radio Free Asia 08 Mar 2022 -- Ukraine is setting up a foreign legion, and thousands have reportedly volunteered from countries across the world. But recruiting fighters in Southeast Asia may prove difficult for Kyiv.
- Statement on Russia's War on Ukraine & International Sport US Dept. of State 08 Mar 2022 -- The text of the following statement was agreed upon by the ministers of sport or their equivalent from the countries and individuals listed at the bottom of the statement.
- UK - VisegrÃ¡d Group (V4) Joint leaders' statement: 8 March 2022 Gov.UK 08 Mar 2022 -- "We, the leaders of the VisegrÃ¡d Group (V4) Countries and the UK, stand united in condemning Russia's aggression on Ukraine - a brutal, unprovoked and premeditated attack against a sovereign, peaceful democratic state. The actions of Russia, and those who enable them, represent an egregious violation of international law and the UN Charter that undermines European security and stability."
- Secretary Blinken's Call with the United Arab Emirates Foreign Minister Sheikh Abdullah bin Zayed US Dept. of State 08 Mar 2022
- Secretary Antony J. Blinken and Estonian Prime Minister Kaja Kallas at a Joint Press Availability US Dept. of State 08 Mar 2022
- Secretary Antony J. Blinken and Estonian Foreign Minister Eva-Maria Liimets After Their Meeting US Dept. of State 08 Mar 2022
- Secretary Antony J. Blinken and Estonian Prime Minister Kaja Kallas Before Their Meeting US Dept. of State 08 Mar 2022
- Secretary Blinken's Meeting with French President Macron US Dept. of State 08 Mar 2022
- Secretary Blinken's Call with German Foreign Minister Baerbock US Dept. of State 08 Mar 2022
- Russian Ministries, Agencies Hacked In Apparent Anti-War Protest RFE/RL 08 Mar 2022 -- Several Russian ministries and other state entities have been hacked in an apparent protest over Russia's unprovoked invasion of Ukraine.
- Navalny Urges Russians To Continue Anti-War Protests That 'Unnerve' Kremlin RFE/RL 08 Mar 2022 -- Jailed opposition politician Aleksei Navalny has again called for protests against Moscow's unprovoked invasion of Ukraine, saying the response of Russians to the war "will largely define Russia's place in the history of the 21st century."
- Ex-Ukrainian President Yanukovich Urges Zelensky to Stop Bloodshed at Any Price, Reach Peace Deal Sputnik 08 Mar 2022 -- Earlier, Russian President Vladimir Putin said that the Russian armed forces have nearly completed the demolition of the military infrastructure in Ukraine, and the special military operation to "demilitarise and de-Nazify" the country was going according to the plan.
- Ukraine says nuclear plants operating stably People's Daily 08 Mar 2022 -- Ukraine's existing nuclear power plants (NPPs) continue to operate stably, the country's state-run nuclear energy operator Energoatom said in a statement on Monday.
- West Uses Oil As Latest Tool Against Russia As More Ukrainians Look To Flee Fighting RFE/RL 08 Mar 2022 -- The United States has banned imports of Russian oil over Moscow's unprovoked invasion of Ukraine as thousands tried to flee cities around the country through humanitarian corridors with limited success as continued Russian shelling and artillery fire cut off some of the exit routes.
- Invasion of Ukraine Prompts Exodus of Western Companies From Russia VOA 08 Mar 2022 -- A growing number of Western businesses are either halting operations in Russia or exiting altogether over that country's military incursion of neighboring Ukraine.
- Energy Giant Shell Withdrawing From Russia, Will Stop Buying Moscow's Oil And Gas RFE/RL 08 Mar 2022 -- Energy giant Shell has announced it will halt all purchases of Russian oil and gas and close other operations in the country, joining dozens of other companies in severing ties with Moscow over its unprovoked invasion of Ukraine.
- 20,550 Ukrainians arrive in Turkey since Russia-Ukraine conflict People's Daily 08 Mar 2022 -- A total of 20,550 Ukrainian citizens have entered Turkey since Feb. 24 when Russia launched a "special military operation" in Ukraine, a senior Turkish official said Monday.
Join the GlobalSecurity.org mailing list