Weapons of Mass Destruction (WMD)
07 March 2022 - Ukraine Special Weapons News
- Defense Department Reports Airspace Above Ukraine Remains Contested DoD News 07 Mar 2022 -- Ten days into Russia's illegal invasion of neighboring Ukraine, the airspace above Ukraine remains contested, as Ukrainian pilots continue to defend their country, a senior Defense Department official said yesterday.
- No Major Breakthrough in Latest Round of Talks Between Ukraine, Russia VOA 07 Mar 2022 -- An adviser to Ukrainian President Volodymr Zelenskyy said a small amount of progress had been made during a third round of talks Monday between Ukrainian and Russian negotiators.
- US, Ukrainian Officials Urge End to Russian Attacks as Cities Bombarded VOA 07 Mar 2022 -- U.S. and Ukrainian officials urged Russia to end attacks on civilians as a third round of talks between Ukrainian negotiators and Russians resumed on Monday.
- Kremlin Accused of Using Cease-fires, Humanitarian Corridors as War Tactic VOA 07 Mar 2022 -- The message from Mariupol, Ukraine's besieged port city on the Sea of Azov, was stark. "We're still holding on," a resident, Ihor, concluded his brief 34-word message.
- Russia announces opening of several humanitarian corridors in Ukraine Press TV 07 Mar 2022 -- The Russian military is set to hold fire and open humanitarian corridors in several Ukrainian cities, including the capital Kiev and Mariupol, on Monday.
- Third Round Of Talks Between Ukraine, Russia Begin With Humanitarian Corridor As Main Topic RFE/RL 07 Mar 2022 -- A third round of talks between Russian and Ukrainian negotiators have begun as the two sides seek a path to end Moscow's unprovoked invasion of its neighbor.
- Ukraine Reports Tentative Progress At Talks; Russia Says Its Expectations Were Not Met RFE/RL 07 Mar 2022 -- A third round of talks between Moscow and Kyiv has ended with Ukrainian negotiators noting small positive developments in the area of humanitarian corridors to allow civilians to flee Russia's unprovoked invasion of its neighbor.
- Third Round of Talks: Ukraine Assures Humanitarian Corridors Will Start Working - Russian Negotiator Sputnik 07 Mar 2022 -- Russian and Ukrainian negotiators held a third round of peace talks on Monday in the region of Brest, Belarus near the Polish border. The talks ran for almost three hours.
- Russia Claims Cease-Fire Ordered In Some Areas, But Shelling Continues RFE/RL 07 Mar 2022 -- The Russian military says it has ordered a cease-fire to allow civilian evacuations from the Ukrainian capital, Kyiv, as well as the cities of Mariupol, Kharkiv, and Sumy from 10 a.m. on March 7, after attempts to evacuate civilians from Mariupol failed the previous day.
- Ukraine starts evacuating civilians from Mariupol People's Daily 07 Mar 2022 -- Ukraine on Sunday started evacuating civilians from Mariupol, a port city in Donetsk, an official said.
- Conscripts, reservists don't and won't take part in operation in Ukraine ā€” Putin TASS 07 Mar 2022 -- Russian President Vladimir Putin said conscripts and reservists aren't taking part in Russia's military operation in Ukraine and won't do so.
- Defense Official Says Russians Reportedly Recruiting Syrian Mercenaries DoD News 07 Mar 2022 -- The Russians are reportedly trying to recruit Syrians to sign up and fight in Ukraine, a senior defense official said today.
- Putin Says Tasks in Ukraine Solved Only by Professional Military Sputnik 07 Mar 2022 -- Moscow announced a special military operation in Ukraine on February 24, after people of Donbas requested to defend them from intensified aggression by Kiev government. The Russian Ministry of Defense noted that the operation does not target civilians and that Russia does not intend to occupy Ukraine.
- Ukraine conflict: Russia says military operation will stop 'in a moment' if Ukraine meets its conditions Press TV 07 Mar 2022 -- Russia says it will halt the military operation in Ukraine instantly if Kiev meets Moscow's list of conditions, as the deadly conflict is still underway for the twelfth day.
- Putin Urges EU's Michel to Convince Kiev to Respect Humanitarian Law Sputnik 07 Mar 2022 -- Earlier in the day, the Russian armed forces announced a ceasefire so that the residents of Ukraine's Kiev, Mariupol, Kharkov, Sumy can leave the cities. The Russian armed forces opened six humanitarian corridors during the special operation in Ukraine, including to Zaporozhye and Poltava, the Russian defece ministry said.
- Israeli Prime Minister Meets with Russian President Putin in Moscow VOA 07 Mar 2022 -- Israel is becoming involved in efforts to mediate between Ukraine and Russia amid Moscow's war on Ukraine, now in its second week.
- Telephone conversation with European Council President Charles Michel President of Russia 07 Mar 2022 -- Vladimir Putin had a telephone conversation with President of the European Council Charles Michel.
- Telephone conversation with Prime Minister of India Narendra Modi President of Russia 07 Mar 2022 -- Vladimir Putin had a telephone conversation with Prime Minister of the Republic of India Narendra Modi.
- PM speaks with His Excellency Vladimir Putin, President of the Russian Federation India PIB 07 Mar 2022 -- Prime Minister Shri Narendra Modi spoke on phone today with His Excellency Vladimir Putin, President of the Russian Federation
- Russian Oligarchs Express Concerns Over War In Ukraine, Call For It To End RFE/RL 07 Mar 2022 -- Russian oligarchs have expressed concerns over Moscow's ongoing invasion of Ukraine as Western countries continue to slap billionaires close to the Kremlin with more sanctions over the war.
- MoD Records Cases of Ukrainian Nationalists Shooting Civilians Accused of Collaborating With Russia Sputnik 07 Mar 2022 -- The Russian military previously accused Ukrainian ultranationalist battalion units of using civilians as human shields, and of deliberately holding residents "hostage" in cities and settlements surrounded by Russian forces.
- Peskov: Ukraine Must Stick to Non-Bloc Status, Recognise Crimea, DPR & LPR Sputnik 07 Mar 2022 -- On 24 February, Russia launched a special military operation in Ukraine after the Donetsk and Lugansk People's Republics (DPR and LPR) appealed for help in defending themselves against the Ukrainian forces.
- Russian MoD: Ukrainian Nationalists Used 150 Civilians in Mariupol as Human Shields Sputnik 07 Mar 2022 -- Earlier in the day, the Russian armed forces announced a ceasefire from 10:00 a.m. (07:00 GMT) for the residents of the Ukrainian cities of Kiev, Mariupol, Kharkov and Sumy to evacuate.
- Russian Diplomat Warns German Weapons Meant for Ukraine May Fall Into Hands of Terrorists Sputnik 07 Mar 2022 -- Moscow is disappointed with Berlin's decision to supply weapons to Ukraine and concerned that these weapons may fall into the hands of terrorists, Oleg Tyapkin, the head of the Russian foreign ministry's Third European Department, said in an interview with Sputnik.
- Putin, Macron discuss Ukraine issue over phone People's Daily 07 Mar 2022 -- Russian President Vladimir Putin on Sunday held a phone conversation with his French counterpart, Emmanuel Macron, during which they discussed the situation in Ukraine.
- Russia warns Ukraine neighbors against hosting Kiev's military planes Press TV 07 Mar 2022 -- Russia warns Ukraine's neighbors against hosting Kiev's military aircraft, saying this could amount to their involvement in the conflict between Russia and the ex-Soviet republic.
- Russia a No-show at Court Hearing on Ukraine Conflict VOA 07 Mar 2022 -- Russia did not show up to a key international court hearing aimed at putting a legal stop to fighting in Ukraine that is creating Europe's biggest refugee crisis in years. At issue is Russian President Vladimir Putin's claim of "genocide" to justify his invasion of Ukraine.
- Russia reduced Genocide Convention 'to confetti', Ukraine tells world court UN News 07 Mar 2022 -- Ukraine addressed the UN's highest court on Monday to reject as a "grotesque lie" Russia's claims that genocide has been committed in eastern Ukrainian oblasts, or regions, before calling for emergency measures to halt Russian aggression.
- Hearing At UN's Top Court Over Russia's Ukraine Genocide Claim Ends As Moscow Boycotts RFE/RL 07 Mar 2022 -- The International Court of Justice says it will rule "as soon as possible" after ending a hearing into a legal move by Kyiv to stop an unprovoked invasion of Ukraine by Russian troops despite Moscow's rejection of the proceedings.
- Unaccompanied and separated children fleeing escalating conflict in Ukraine must be protected UNHCR 07 Mar 2022 -- In the past week, more than one million refugees have been forced to flee Ukraine seeking safety and protection. Hundreds of thousands of them are children. Amongst those fleeing, many are unaccompanied or have been separated from their parents or family members.
- Protect unaccompanied children fleeing Ukraine: UN agency chiefs UN News 07 Mar 2022 -- Unaccompanied and separated children fleeing the conflict in Ukraine must be protected, two senior UN officials said in a joint statement on Monday.
- UN relief chief outlines immediate humanitarian priorities for Ukraine UN News 07 Mar 2022 -- Allowing civilians to safely leave areas under fire in Ukraine, and delivering desperately needed aid to these locations, are among immediate priorities for humanitarians, the UN Emergency Relief Coordinator, Martin Griffiths, told the Security Council on Monday.
- UN: Safe Corridors Needed for Civilians, Humanitarians in Ukraine VOA 07 Mar 2022 -- The United Nations humanitarian chief appealed Monday for safe passage for civilians fleeing Ukraine and for humanitarians delivering urgent assistance to the country.
- Update 14 - IAEA Director General Statement on Situation in Ukraine IAEA 07 Mar 2022 -- Ukraine told the International Atomic Energy Agency (IAEA) today that a new nuclear research facility producing radioisotopes for medical and industrial applications had been damaged by shelling in the city of Kharkiv, Director General Rafael Mariano Grossi said. The national nuclear regulator said the incident did not cause any increase in radiation levels at the site.
- READOUT: Secretary of the Treasury Janet L. Yellen's Call with French Finance Minister Bruno Le Maire US Treasury 07 Mar 2022
- Putin is directing a campaign of violence and cruelty against civilians UK FCDO 07 Mar 2022 -- Statement by Ambassador Barbara Woodward at the UN Security Council Meeting on the Humanitarian situation in Ukraine
- Special OSCE meeting on Russia's ongoing aggression against Ukraine: UK statement, 7 March 2022 UK FCDO 07 Mar 2022 -- UK Ambassador Neil Bush calls out the Russian government for lying about their plan to invade Ukraine and expresses UK solidarity with the Ukrainian people.
- UK injects $100m into Ukraine's economy as Canadian and Dutch Prime Ministers are welcomed to Downing Street Gov.UK 07 Mar 2022 -- Today the Prime Minister commences a week of focussed engagement with world leaders to mobilise the global outcry at the atrocities of Russian aggression into practical and sustained support for Ukraine.
- UK largest bilateral humanitarian donor to Ukraine as UK, Canada and The Netherlands launch new Ukraine solidarity alliance Gov.UK 07 Mar 2022 -- A landmark solidarity pact launched by the leaders of the United Kingdom, Canada and the Netherlands will mobilise practical and sustained support for Ukraine.
- EU Justice and Home Affairs Agencies' joint statement on Ukraine EUROPOL 07 Mar 2022 -- EU Justice and Home Affairs Agencies support the work of EU institutions and Member States as they help Ukraine and its people now that war once again touches Europe.
- War in Ukraine: protecting women and girls Council of Europe 07 Mar 2022 -- "As we continue to witness the horrors of war in Ukraine, I urge an agreement on viable humanitarian corridors which are essential to allow the safe passage of thousands of displaced persons fleeing death and destruction - most of them women and children.
- Authorities should stop the unprecedented crackdown on freedoms of expression, assembly and association in Russia Council of Europe 07 Mar 2022 -- "Russia's military attack against Ukraine has lasted for almost 12 days now, causing death and destruction. It is also leading to a large-scale repression of freedoms in the Russian Federation", said the Council of Europe Commissioner for Human Rights, Dunja MijatoviÄ‡.
- Statement by President von der Leyen at the joint press conference with Italian Prime Minister Draghi European Commission 07 Mar 2022
- Poland Embraces Fleeing Ukrainians, as Europe Faces Biggest Refugee Crisis Since 1945 VOA 07 Mar 2022 -- A surreal soundtrack greets the sea of humanity fleeing Ukraine: a highly accomplished pianist has arrived at the Medyka border crossing into Poland. His music drifts across the organized chaos of this small village, now the frontline of Europe's rapidly growing refugee crisis.
- Secretary of State Antony J. Blinken and Latvian Foreign Minister Edgars RinkÄ“viÄ¨s at a Joint Press Availability US Dept. of State 07 Mar 2022
- Deputy Secretary Sherman's Meeting with Spanish State Secretary for Foreign and Global Affairs Moreno Bau US Dept. of State 07 Mar 2022
- Secretary Antony J. Blinken and Lithuanian Foreign Minister Gabrielius Landsbergis at a Joint Press Availability US Dept. of State 07 Mar 2022
- Secretary Antony J. Blinken with Lithuanian Prime Minister Ingrida Å imonytÄ— and Foreign Minister Gabrielius Landsbergis Before Their Meeting US Dept. of State 07 Mar 2022
- Secretary Antony J. Blinken and Lithuanian President Gitanas Nauseda Before Their Meeting US Dept. of State 07 Mar 2022
- Secretary Blinken's Meeting with Israeli Foreign Minister and Alternate Prime Minister Lapid US Dept. of State 07 Mar 2022
- Secretary Antony J. Blinken and Israeli Foreign Minister Yair Lapid Before Their Meeting US Dept. of State 07 Mar 2022
- Israel will continue mediate between Moscow, Kiev even if chances low: Bennett People's Daily 07 Mar 2022 -- Israeli Prime Minister Naftali Bennett said Sunday that his country will continue to mediate between Moscow and Kiev even if the prospects for success are slim.
- U.S., European Allies Vow Further Sanctions On Russia But Shy Away From Banning Oil Imports RFE/RL 07 Mar 2022 -- The leaders of the United States, France, Germany, and Britain have vowed to further punish Russia over its invasion of Ukraine, the White House said on March 7.
- Momentum Grows in US for Russian Oil Ban VOA 07 Mar 2022 -- U.S. lawmakers stepped up calls Monday to ban the import of Russian oil, cutting off Russian President Vladimir Putin from a key source of revenue in retaliation for the unprovoked invasion of Ukraine.
- US, European allies 'discuss banning Russia oil imports' Press TV 07 Mar 2022 -- The US says the country and its European allies are discussing banning Russian oil imports as a means of stepping up their punitive measures against Moscow over its ongoing military operation in Ukraine.
- Joint Statement on the Republic of Korea's Partnership on Export Controls for Russia US Dept. of Commerce 07 Mar 2022 -- The Republic of Korea's Minister of Trade, Industry and Energy Moon, Sung Wook and Secretary of Commerce Gina M. Raimondo are pleased to announce the formal addition of the Republic of Korea to the growing global coalition of nations that are standing against Russian aggression by implementing stringent export control policies.
- China to provide humanitarian aid to Ukraine, lays out six initiatives on Ukraine crisis Global Times 07 Mar 2022 -- The Red Cross Society of China will provide a batch of emergency humanitarian supplies to Ukraine as soon as possible, Chinese State Councilor and Foreign Minister Wang Yi said at a virtual press conference on Monday on the sidelines of the fifth session of the 13th National People's Congress in Beijing.
- China Dictates Messaging About What's Happening in Ukraine VOA 07 Mar 2022 -- A one-minute video of Chinese Foreign Ministry spokesperson Hua Chunying urging peace in Ukraine has racked up some 19,100 likes on her country's popular WeChat social media service. In the clip, she makes a single comment: "If you see two people arguing and about to fight, do you give them weapons or first help them to work it out and find out what happened before? I think the concept is very simple."
- Second batch of Chinese evacuee flights from Ukraine returns home People's Daily 07 Mar 2022 -- The second batch of two temporary flights carrying Chinese citizens evacuated from Ukraine arrived safely in China on Sunday.
- South Africa's Neutral Stance on Russia Risks International Ties: Analysts VOA 07 Mar 2022 -- South African President Cyril Ramaphosa on Monday defended his neutral stance on Russia's invasion of Ukraine, calling for talks ā€” not condemnation.
- Gazprom Vows to Continue Gas Deliveries Under Contracts Amid Soaring Prices Sputnik 07 Mar 2022 -- Gazprom pointed out that while the price of natural gas price on the TTF has already reached $3,892 per 1,000 cubic metres, this is not the company's fault.
- Russia Allows Nationals, Companies to Repay Debts to Foreigners in Rubles Sputnik 07 Mar 2022 -- The Russian government has temporarily allowed nationals and Russian entities to pay back their debts to foreign creditors from the list of hostile countries in rubles.
- Russian TV Channels Hacked To Show Independent Coverage Of War In Ukraine RFE/RL 07 Mar 2022 -- Several Russian television channels have been hacked and had their programming substituted with coverage of the war in Ukraine by independent broadcasters Current Time and Dozhd TV, outlets blocked in Russia by the authorities.
- Tide of Ukrainian refugees grows as more than 1.7 million flee to Central Europe: UN Press TV 07 Mar 2022 -- The United Nations says more than 1.7 million people have so far crossed Ukraine into Central Europe as Moscow's ongoing military operation.
- Half a Million Ukrainian Children Flee Russian Invasion VOA 07 Mar 2022 -- Vulnerable children constitute a large proportion of the more than 1 million Ukrainians who have fled Russia's invasion of their country and heavy bombardment of residential areas, according to the United Nations Children's Fund.
- Russia's Vaunted Influence Operations Bogged Down with Ukraine VOA 07 Mar 2022 -- Russia's efforts to sway the opinions of people across the world about the righteousness of its invasion of Ukraine appears to be mirroring the effort of some of its forces on the ground - despite bringing lots of firepower, the Kremlin's influence operations seem to be stalling, unable to penetrate key audiences.
- Kyrgyz NEXT TV Reporters Questioned Over Report On War In Ukraine RFE/RL 07 Mar 2022 -- Two journalists from NEXT television in Kyrgyzstan have been questioned by the State Committee for National Security over a recent report from the media outlet on Russia's invasion of Ukraine that officials alleged may have incited interethnic hatred.
- 'Very Neutral': Uzbek Journalists Pressured Over Their Coverage Of Russian War In Ukraine RFE/RL 07 Mar 2022 -- Uzbekistan's state media has been extremely careful covering the war in Ukraine, describing the conflict as a Russian "military operation" and refraining from calling it an "invasion" or "aggression."
- Russian Outlets Seize on Accounts of Racism VOA 07 Mar 2022 -- Russian efforts to flood the information environment and rally support for its invasion of Ukraine appear to be hitting a wall as many of Moscow's media outlets have been blocked in Europe and elsewhere.
- Ghanaian Students Say Flight from Ukraine Hampered by Discrimination VOA 07 Mar 2022 -- It took two days for Janet and some other Ghanaian students to reach Lviv from the Ukrainian capital, Kyiv. Then they spent another 13 hours waiting to cross the border, the third-year engineering student explains.
Join the GlobalSecurity.org mailing list