Weapons of Mass Destruction (WMD)
06 March 2022 - Ukraine Special Weapons News
- Russian Military Has Destroyed 2,203 Targets of Ukrainian Military Infrastructure During Special Op Sputnik 06 Mar 2022 -- The Russian special military operation was launched on 24 February after the Donbass republics pled for help to counter Kiev's aggression. President Vladimir Putin said it was a "difficult" decision, but the plight of the Donbass people has been ignored for too long.
- Negotiators Scheduled To Hold Third Round Of Talks As Russian Forces Increase Shelling In Ukraine RFE/RL 06 Mar 2022 -- A third round of negotiations between Kyiv and Moscow was scheduled to take place on March 7 after an attempt to evacuate civilians from the besieged Ukrainian city of Mariupol failed on March 6.
- Number Of Ukrainian Refugees Nears 1.5 Million As Russian Invasion Enters 11th Day RFE/RL 06 Mar 2022 -- The number of refugees fleeing the war in Ukraine was expected to reach 1.5 million on March 6, as the Russian invasion entered its 11th day with "fierce" fighting taking place in many parts of the country.
- 1.5 million people have fled Ukraine in 10 days: UN refugee official Press TV 06 Mar 2022 -- The United Nations high commissioner for refugees claims that around 1.5 million people have fled since Russia started a military operation in Ukraine.
- Russia says disables Ukraine's Starokostiantyniv air base with long-range weapons Press TV 06 Mar 2022 -- Russia says it has struck and disabled Ukraine's Starokostiantyniv military air base with long-range high-precision weapons as their conflict continues for an 11th day.
- Ukraine, Russia to hold next round of talks on Monday: Ukrainian negotiator People's Daily 06 Mar 2022 -- Ukraine and Russia will hold the next round of peace talks on Monday, David Arakhamia, member of the Ukrainian delegation, said Saturday.
- Day 11: Ukraine says 3rd round of ceasefire talks on Monday, Russia not definitive Press TV 06 Mar 2022 -- Ukraine says a third round of talks on ceasefire with Russia, which has launched a military operation in the ex-Soviet republic, is slated to get underway on Monday, but Moscow does not sound as definitive.
- Telephone conversation with President of Turkey Recep Tayyip Erdogan President of Russia 06 Mar 2022 -- Vladimir Putin had a telephone conversation with President of the Republic of Turkey Recep Tayyip Erdogan.
- Putin Tells Erdogan Halt in Russia's Ukraine Op Possible If Kiev Stops Fighting, Implements Demands Sputnik 06 Mar 2022 -- Russia began a military operation in Ukraine on 24 aimed at demilitarising the country after weeks of escalating artillery, sniper and sabotage attacks against the Donetsk and Lugansk People's Republics by Kiev forces. Moscow recognised the Donbass republics as independent states on 21 February after the breakdown of the Minsk peace process.
- Telephone conversation with President of France Emmanuel Macron President of Russia 06 Mar 2022 -- Vladimir Putin had a telephone conversation with President of the French Republic Emmanuel Macron, at the initiative of the French side.
- The President of France spoke to the President of the Russian Federation, Mr Vladimir PUTIN. Ã‰lysÃ©e - President of France 06 Mar 2022 -- The President of France spoke to the President of the Russian Federation, Mr Vladimir PUTIN, on Sunday 6 March 2022.
- Ukrainian Radicals Sought to Frame Russia for Provocation at Nuclear Power Plant, Putin Tells Macron Sputnik 06 Mar 2022 -- The Zaporozhye nuclear power plant - the largest NPP in Europe, suffered a scare early Friday after clashes erupted in its immediate vicinity. Western media claimed Russian forces deliberately targeted the facility with artillery. The Russian MoD dismissed the claims and accused Ukrainian authorities of attempting a "monstrous provocation."
- Telephone conversation with Prime Minister of Israel Naftali Bennett President of Russia 06 Mar 2022
- Russia's Putin: Ukraine military operation going according to plan, will end when our demands met Press TV 06 Mar 2022 -- Russian President Vladimir Putin has reiterated that the military operation against Ukraine is going according to plan and schedule, stressing that Moscow will only halt its offensive if Kiev stops fighting and the Kremlin's demands are met.
- Putin May Use Chechen War Playbook In Ukraine, Says Russian Human Rights Activist RFE/RL 06 Mar 2022 -- With Moscow's invasion of Ukraine seemingly moving slower than expected, Russian President Vladimir Putin may turn to the indiscriminate tactics of the wars in Chechnya that turned Chechen cities to rubble in the 1990s and early 2000s, a noted Russian human rights activist says.
- Ukrainian Nationalists Mined Reactor at Experimental Nuclear Facility in Kharkov, Russian MoD Says Sputnik 06 Mar 2022 -- The Russian MoD stated that foreign journalists arrived in Kharkov on Sunday in advance to record the consequences of the Ukrainian radicals' provocation, in order to accuse Russia of creating an ecological catastrophe.
- Russia Has Info Some Ukrainian Fighter Jets Flying Into Romania and Other Countries, MoD Says Sputnik 06 Mar 2022 -- Russian President Vladimir Putin said on Saturday that the Russian army has nearly completed the demolition of military infrastructure in Ukraine. Russia will consider any country introducing no-fly zone over Ukraine as participant in military conflict, Putin said.
- Russia almost completes destruction of Ukrainian military infrastructure: Putin People's Daily 06 Mar 2022 -- Russia has "practically" completed the mission of destroying Ukraine's main military infrastructure, including weapon warehouses, ammunition depots, aviation and air defense systems, President Vladimir Putin said Saturday.
- Over 50 Western planes of weapons reached Ukraine before Russian op: Moscow Press TV 06 Mar 2022 -- More than 50 cargo planes carrying arms and other military gear from the US, Britain, Canada, Poland, and Lithuania landed in Ukraine ahead of the Russian military operation in the country, Russia's Foreign Ministry has revealed, warning about the potential fallout of the US-led effort.
- Update 13 - IAEA Director General Statement on Situation in Ukraine IAEA 06 Mar 2022 -- Ukraine informed the International Atomic Energy Agency (IAEA) today that although regular staff continued to operate the Zaporizhzhya Nuclear Power Plant (NPP), the plant management is now under orders from the commander of the Russian forces that took control of the site last week, Director General Rafael Mariano Grossi said.
- Russian military control of Ukraine nuclear plants cause for grave concern, nuclear energy agency warns UN News 06 Mar 2022 -- Reports that Ukraine's, and Europe's, largest nuclear power plant is under the control of Russian forces is a cause for grave concern, the Director-General of the International Atomic Energy Agency (IAEA), Rafael Mariano Grossi, said on Sunday.
- Ukraine: UN chief calls for safe passage from conflict zones, rights body records 1,123 civilian casualties, WHO outlines health concerns UN News 06 Mar 2022 -- UN chief AntÃ³nio Guterres called on Sunday for a pause in fighting to allow civilians to escape conflict zones in Ukraine, as the UN rights body (OHCHR) announced it had recorded 1,123 civilian casualties since the beginning of Russia's armed attack on the country.
- UN Nuclear Watchdog Alarmed By Developments At Ukrainian Nuclear Plant Seized By Russian Forces RFE/RL 06 Mar 2022 -- Ukraine has informed the International Atomic Energy Agency (IAEA) that management at the Zaporizhzhya nuclear plant is under orders from the commander of Russian forces controlling the site.
- Ukraine 'Not a NATO Conflict, Will Not Become One,' UK's Boris Johnson Says Sputnik 06 Mar 2022 -- Johnson's remarks come in the wake of a warning by UK Foreign Secretary Liz Truss late last month that the crisis in Ukraine "could end up" being a conflict between the "freedom and democracy"-loving nations of the Western alliance and Russia. Her comments prompted Moscow to place its strategic nuclear forces on heightened alert.
- Ukraine conflict: UK military chief warns Britons against fighting Russia on battlefield Press TV 06 Mar 2022 -- Britain's most senior military official has warned against sending UK troops to fight against Russia in Ukraine, as fierce fighting in the country entered the eleventh day.
- Sina Weibo punishes accounts for spreading content on Russia-Ukraine conflict to stir up hatred, warfare Global Times 06 Mar 2022 -- Targeting the crackdown on circulated vulgar content on the Russia-Ukraine situation, Chinese social media platform Sina Weibo traced the sources of the information and punished 1,000 accounts that took advantage of the situation to release extreme content to stir up hatred, warfare regularly.
- If US keeps intensifying Ukraine crisis with sanctions, military deployments, 'mediation would be useless' Global Times 06 Mar 2022 -- The US and the EU keep urging China to play a bigger role to "mediate" the Russia-Ukraine conflict, but in fact, Chinese analysts said that what the West wants is to push China to follow it to one-sidedly sanction Russia, without resolving the key security concerns of both sides, which was caused by US' long-standing strategy to poison Russia-Ukraine and Russia-EU ties.
- China's EU Mission calls for fair talks between US, NATO, EU and Russia in response to EU official's remarks of China being 'mediator' that 'Western powers cannot fulfill' Global Times 06 Mar 2022 -- China encourages direct talks between Russia and Ukraine, as well as equal dialogues between the US, NATO, the EU and Russia in dealing with their conflicts that have accumulated over the years, a spokesperson of the Chinese Mission to the EU said on Sunday in response to EU official's remarks of China's role as the mediator between two countries "as Western powers cannot fulfill."
- U.S., European Partners Mull Ban On Russian Oil Imports RFE/RL 06 Mar 2022 -- The United States and its European partners are considering banning Russian oil imports, U.S. Secretary of State Antony Blinken said on March 6.
- Netflix, TikTok, American Express Suspend Services In Russia Over Attack On Ukraine RFE/RL 06 Mar 2022 -- Netflix and TikTok suspended most of their services in Russia over Russia's crackdown on reporting about Russia's war in Ukraine.
- UN Agency Calls for End to Discrimination Against Third-Country Nationals Fleeing Ukraine VOA 06 Mar 2022 -- The International Organization for Migration or IOM is calling on governments to stop discriminating against third-country nationals trying to flee conflict in Ukraine to neighboring countries.
- Crisis in Ukraine Drives Food Prices Higher Around World VOA 06 Mar 2022 -- The impact of Russia's invasion of Ukraine â€” a country long known as the "breadbasket of Europe" because of the prodigious amounts of wheat, corn and other cereal grains that it produces â€” will extend far beyond Europe, wreaking havoc on global food supplies, experts from aid agencies say.
- 'Sent As Cannon Fodder': Locals Confront Russian Governor Over 'Deceived' Soldiers In Ukraine RFE/RL 06 Mar 2022 -- A Russian governor in Siberia was confronted by angry citizens who accused the government of "deceiving" young men before deploying them as "cannon fodder" in Russia's invasion of Ukraine.
- Thousands Detained At Anti-War Protests Across Russia RFE/RL 06 Mar 2022 -- Thousands of people have been detained at protests in dozens of cities across Russia against President Vladimir Putin's unprovoked war in Ukraine, the Russian Interior Ministry and an independent protest monitor said on March 6.
- Belarusian Defence Ministry Denies Resignation of Chief of General Staff Sputnik 06 Mar 2022 -- Ukrainian reports alleging that Belarusian Chief of General Staff Viktor Gulevich has stepped down because of unwillingness to fight in Ukraine are fake news, the Belarusian defence ministry said on Sunday.
- Pakistan Vows Neutrality in Ukraine Crisis, Insists Ties with US on Track VOA 06 Mar 2022 -- Pakistani Foreign Minister Shah Mehmood Qureshi dismissed suggestions his country's "neutral" stance in the Russia-Ukraine conflict is straining Islamabad's relationship with the United States or the West at large, in an interview Sunday with VOA.
- After Putin's invasion of Ukraine, eyes on Xi Jinping and Taiwan Radio Free Asia 06 Mar 2022 -- On Feb. 24, in a day that will be remembered forever, Russia's Vladimir Putin started a war with Ukraine. Though he avoided officially declaring "war" and opted instead to call it a "special military operation," at any rate, he launched a premeditated invasion.
Join the GlobalSecurity.org mailing list