Weapons of Mass Destruction (WMD)
05 March 2022 - Ukraine Special Weapons News
- Kiev's Security Service Reportedly Kills Member of Ukrainian Team at Talks With Russia Sputnik 05 Mar 2022 -- The first round of talks between Russian and Ukrainian officials took place in Belarus on Monday against the backdrop of Moscow's ongoing special operation in Ukraine aimed at demilitarising and "de-Nazifying" the country.
- Four Ukrainian Su-27 Jets, Bayraktar Drone Downed West of Kiev, Russian MoD Says Sputnik 05 Mar 2022 -- Russia launched a special military operation in Ukraine on 24 February, citing Kiev's failure to implement the Minsk agreements and threats to withdraw from the Budapest Memorandum. The Russian Armed Forces destroyed a significant portion of Ukraine's military airfields, as well as military aircraft, during the first day of the operation.
- Lavrov: Ukrainian Forces Didn't Allow Russia to Evacuate Foreign Students From Kharkov Sputnik 05 Mar 2022 -- Russia and Ukraine negotiated the creation of humanitarian corridors during the last round of talks in Belarus. The corridors in two Ukrainian cities were opened by Russian forces at 7:00 GMT on 5 March.
- DPR: Ukrainian Militants Preventing Evacuation of Civilians From Volnovakha Sputnik 05 Mar 2022 -- Ukrainian militants are creating obstacles for the evacuation of civilians from Volnovakha, hindering their access to humanitarian corridors, the territorial defence department of the Donetsk People's Republic reported on Saturday.
- MoD: Russian Forces Destroy Ammo Depot in Zhitomir Hosting Javelins & NLAWs in High-Precision Strike Sputnik 05 Mar 2022 -- The Defence Ministry's briefing comes as Russia has declared a ceasefire in Ukraine starting from 07:00 GMT in order to open humanitarian corridors for civilians from Mariupol and Volnovakha.
- Russia resumes 'offensive' after Mariupol ceasefire as Putin warns against no-fly zone Press TV 05 Mar 2022 -- Russia's defense ministry says it has resumed "offensive actions" in Ukraine after announcing a ceasefire earlier on Saturday to allow residents of two besieged cities of Mariupol and Volnovakha to evacuate.
- Day 10: Russia to continue broad offensive in Ukraine despite limited ceasefire Press TV 05 Mar 2022 -- Russia says its forces vow to continue a broad offensive in the former Soviet state despite a limited ceasefire in two Ukrainian cities on the 10th day of a large-scale military operation.
- Russia declares ceasefire in Ukraine for civilians evacuation -- defense ministry People's Daily 05 Mar 2022 -- Russian forces will observe a truce in Ukraine starting 10:00 a.m. Moscow time (0700 GMT) on Saturday to facilitate the evacuation of civilians via humanitarian corridors, the Russian Ministry of Defense said.
- Russia, Ukraine to hold third-round peace talks soon as fighting going on People's Daily 05 Mar 2022 -- Moscow wishes to continue dialogue with Ukraine and wants peace, provided that all Russia's security demands are met, Russian President Vladimir Putin said Friday.
- 1.3m Ukrainians flee; refugee crisis only just beginning, UN warns Press TV 05 Mar 2022 -- As more than 1.3 million Ukrainian refugees have fled their country since the start of the Russian military campaign 10 days ago, the UN's refugee agency (UNHCR) has warned that the humanitarian crisis engulfing Ukrainians is only beginning.
- Over 1 mln Ukrainians evacuated via state railway since fighting started People's Daily 05 Mar 2022 -- Ukrainian State Railways have evacuated more than 1 million Ukrainians since the start of the conflict with Russia on Feb. 24, the Ukrainian UNN news agency reported on Friday.
- Russia not to involve conscripts, reservists in operation in Ukraine â€” Putin TASS 05 Mar 2022 -- Only professional military - officers and volunteers - take part in the Russian operation in Ukraine, no conscripts are being involved in it, Russian President Vladimir Putin said Saturday.
- Putin Warns Against No-Fly Zone Over Ukraine, Likens Western Sanctions To Declaration Of War RFE/RL 05 Mar 2022 -- Russian President Vladimir Putin has said that punitive sanctions imposed by Western countries following Russia's invasion of Ukraine are "akin to a declaration of war" and warned that any country that attempts to impose a no-fly zone over Ukraine would be considered a party to the conflict.
- Putin Signs 'Harsh' Law Allowing Long Prison Terms For 'False News' About Army RFE/RL 05 Mar 2022 -- Russian President Vladimir Putin has signed a new law into effect that calls for sentences of up to 15 years in prison for people who distribute "false news" about the Russian military.
- Lavrov: Zelensky is Trying to Provoke Conflict Between NATO and Russia Sputnik 05 Mar 2022 -- Ukrainian President Volodymyr Zelensky earlier expressed his disappointment with NATO failing to engage more in the ongoing conflict in Ukraine, particularly for the alliance's reluctance to declare a no-fly zone over the country.
- Up to 50 Western Planes With Military Hardware Landed in Ukraine Ahead of Russian Op - Moscow Sputnik 05 Mar 2022 -- Earlier, The Washington Post reported that the US had been sending hundreds of millions of dollars' worth of military hardware to Ukraine since December 2021 - months ahead of Russia's decision to launch its special military operation.
- Putin says open to dialogue with Ukraine People's Daily 05 Mar 2022 -- Russia is open to dialogue with Ukraine, Russian President Vladimir Putin said in a telephone conversation with German Chancellor Olaf Scholz Friday.
- Meeting with female aircrew members of Russian airlines President of Russia 05 Mar 2022 -- Vladimir Putin visited the Aeroflot aviation training centre and met with female aircrew members of Russian airlines.
- Meeting with Prime Minister of Israel Naftali Bennett President of Russia 05 Mar 2022 -- As was mutually agreed, Prime Minister of the State of Israel Naftali Bennett made a brief working visit to Moscow.
- Executive Order on entering into, residing in, and exiting Russia by foreign nationals from territories of LPR, DPR and Ukraine President of Russia 05 Mar 2022 -- The President signed the Executive Order On Entering the Russian Federation, Residing in the Russian Federation and Exiting from the Russian Federation by Foreign Nationals and Stateless Persons Coming from or Leaving the Territories of the Lugansk People's Republic, the Donetsk People's Republic and Ukraine.
- Kyrgyz TV Head To Remain In Pretrial Detention Over Report On Ukraine War RFE/RL 05 Mar 2022 -- The Kyrgyz authorities have ordered pretrial detention for thedirector of the NEXT television channel over the airing of a controversial report in which an interviewee alleged the existence of an agreement between Bishkek and Moscow to send troops to Ukraine.
- 'Does Putin Want To Kill Us All?' Kharkiv Civilians Under Siege As Russia Changes Tactics RFE/RL 05 Mar 2022 -- With Russian and Ukrainian forces engaged in tough fighting for control of major cities across Ukraine, Moscow has shifted its tactics to increasingly rely on rockets, artillery, and air attacks to hit civilian infrastructure.
- Executive Order on temporary procedure for meeting loan obligations to certain foreign creditors President of Russia 05 Mar 2022 -- Vladimir Putin signed the Executive Order On a Temporary Procedure for Meeting Obligations to Certain Foreign Creditors.
- Russia's War In Ukraine: The Beginning Of The End Of An Energy Superpower? RFE/RL 05 Mar 2022 -- President Vladimir Putin's decision to invade Ukraine is backfiring on Russia's energy industry -- the core of the country's economy -- as Europe doubles down on efforts to diversify away from Russian oil and natural gas and Western firms flee the country.
- Why China Won't Rescue Russia's Flailing Economy RFE/RL 05 Mar 2022 -- With Russia's economy in freefall as it feels the weight of a wave of unprecedented sanctions from the West, could China provide economic support to Moscow?
- Russian Agency Urges Suspension Of Flights Abroad, Aeroflot Quickly Complies RFE/RL 05 Mar 2022 -- Russia's federal air-transport agency, Rosaviatsia, has recommended that domestic airlines with foreign-leased aircraft suspend all flights abroad, except to neighboring Belarus, from March 8.
- Visa, Mastercard Suspend All Operations in Russia Effective Immediately Over Ukraine Crisis Sputnik 05 Mar 2022 -- Less than a week ago, the two financial companies stated that they banned various Russian financial institutions from their network to comply with US sanctions implemented in response to the Russian special military operation against Ukraine.
Join the GlobalSecurity.org mailing list