Weapons of Mass Destruction (WMD)
28 February 2022 - Ukraine Special Weapons News
- Nearly half a million have fled Ukraine, UN refugee agency reports UN News 28 Feb 2022 -- Fighting in Ukraine has so far pushed roughly a half million people across the country's borders, the UN refugee agency, UNHCR, reported on Monday.
- Ukrainians Pour Across Western Border As UN Warns Refugee Numbers Could Hit Millions RFE/RL 28 Feb 2022 -- Tens of thousands of Ukrainians, mainly women and children, continue to pour across the country's western borders to flee fighting between invading Russian troops and Ukrainian forces amid warnings from the European Union that Moscow's unprovoked war risks displacing "over 7 million people."
- Ukrainian and Russian delegations held the first round of negotiations in order to find common ground for the fastest ceasefire President of Ukraine 28 Feb 2022
- Ukrainian delegation arrived in the area of the Ukrainian-Belarusian border to participate in talks with representatives of the Russian Federation President of Ukraine 28 Feb 2022
- Ukraine, Russia Prep for 2nd Round of Talks as Kyiv Demands Cease-Fire VOA 28 Feb 2022 -- Moscow and Kyiv will hold a second round of peace talks, according to both governments, after Ukrainian delegates demanded an immediate cease-fire and withdrawal of Russian forces during initial talks Monday on the border with Belarus.
- Kyiv, Moscow Hold Talks As Russian Invasion Shows Signs Of Escalating RFE/RL 28 Feb 2022 -- Talks between Kyiv and Moscow have ended without a breakthrough as Russian troops closed in on the Ukrainian capital and other major cities in the face of deepening international isolation over the Kremlin's unprovoked invasion of Ukraine last week.
- First round of peace talks between Russia, Ukraine end, second round expected Press TV 28 Feb 2022 -- The first round of peace talks between delegations from Russia and Ukraine have ended in a Belarusian border area and they will go back to their respective capitals "for consultations" before holding an expected second round, a Ukrainian official says.
- Ukraine-Russia talks continue in Belarus amid 'reduced pace of offensive' Press TV 28 Feb 2022 -- Talks between Ukrainian and Russian delegations in Belarus are underway after they began earlier on Monday, with Ukraine's delegation including several high-ranking officials, but not Ukraine's President Volodymyr Zelensky himself.
- Points of Contact for Common Positions Found at Russia-Ukraine Talks, Russian Delegation Head Says Sputnik 28 Feb 2022 -- Russian and Ukrainian officials agreed to meet in Gomel region, Belarus on Monday for talks aimed at halting the fighting in Ukraine and resolving the crisis between Moscow and Kiev.
- Russian Air Forces Dominate Airspace Over Ukraine, MoD Says Sputnik 28 Feb 2022 -- The Russian warplanes dominate the airspace over the entire territory of Ukraine, Russian defence ministry spokesman Maj. Gen. Igor Konashenkov said on Monday.
- Ukrainians Continue Resistance as Russia Funnels More Troops Into the Country DoD News 28 Feb 2022 -- DOD officials estimate that almost 75 percent of the forces that Russian President Vladimir Putin amassed for invasion are now in Ukraine.
- Russian forces hit 1,114 Ukrainian military infrastructure objects -- spokesman People's Daily 28 Feb 2022 -- The Russian Armed Forces have hit 1,114 Ukrainian military infrastructure objects, Russian Defense Ministry spokesman Igor Konashenkov said on Monday.
- Ukraine says Kiev still under control People's Daily 28 Feb 2022 -- The Ukrainian army said on Monday that the situation in Kiev was still under its control.
- Ukraine mobilizes 100,000 troops amid conflict with Russia People's Daily 28 Feb 2022 -- Ukraine has mobilized about 100,000 troops amid the conflict with Russia, Valery Zaluzhny, chief commander of the armed forces of Ukraine, said Sunday on Facebook.
- Russia says armed forces hit 975 Ukrainian military infrastructure objects People's Daily 28 Feb 2022 -- The Russian Armed Forces have destroyed 975 Ukrainian military infrastructure objects since the start of operations, Russian Defense Ministry spokesman Igor Konashenkov said Sunday.
- Russian forces destroy world's biggest cargo plane Mriya in Ukraine People's Daily 28 Feb 2022 -- Russian forces have destroyed Ukraine's flagman aircraft An-225 Mriya, the world's biggest cargo plane, Ukraine's state defense conglomerate Ukroboronprom said Sunday on Telegram.
- Russia, Ukraine to meet at Ukrainian-Belarusian border as fighting continues People's Daily 28 Feb 2022 -- Amid the ongoing Russia-Ukraine conflict came a ray of hope as Russia and Ukraine agreed to meet at the Belarusian-Ukrainian border.
- Foreign Ministry statement on the EU's role in the developments in Ukraine Russia Ministry of Foreign Affairs 28 Feb 2022
- Meeting on economic issues President of Russia 28 Feb 2022 -- The President chaired a meeting on economic issues.
- Telephone conversation with President of France Emmanuel Macron President of Russia 28 Feb 2022 -- During a lengthy telephone conversation initiated by the President of the French Republic, Vladimir Putin and Emmanuel Macron had a serious, substantive exchange of views on all aspects of the situation around Ukraine.
- Executive Order On Imposing Special Economic Measures in Connection with the Hostile Actions of the United States in League with Other Foreign States and International Organisations President of Russia 28 Feb 2022 -- The President signed Executive Order On Imposing Special Economic Measures in Connection with the Hostile Actions of the United States in League with Other Foreign States and International Organisations.
- Russia Didn't Start Hostilities, Is Ending Them After 8 Years of War Against Donbass Civilians: MoD Sputnik 28 Feb 2022 -- The Russian military and its Donetsk and Lugansk People's Republic allies began an operation in Ukraine on Thursday amid unceasing attacks by the Ukrainian military and nationalist units of the Ukrainian National Guard targeting the Donbass with artillery, mortar and sniper fire. The conflict is the culmination of a crisis which began in 2014.
- Moscow Has No Plans to Occupy Ukraine, Russia's UN Envoy Says Sputnik 28 Feb 2022 -- The Russian army and Donbass militia forces began a military operation in Ukraine on Thursday after months of escalation and weeks of artillery, mortar and sniper attacks by Ukrainian forces in the Donbass conflict zone. The US and its allies responded by slapping Russia with new sanctions and promising over $850 million more in arms for Kiev.
- Ukraine Solution Possible Only if Russia's Security Interests Are Considered, Putin Tells Macron Sputnik 28 Feb 2022 -- Russian President Vladimir Putin noted that Russian troops are not a threat to civilians nor are they conducting strikes against civilian targets in Ukraine.
- Putin: Ukraine's neutrality, recognition of Crimea key to settlement of conflict Press TV 28 Feb 2022 -- Russian President Vladimir Putin says the settlement of the Ukrainian crisis will only be possible if Kiev remains neutral and Moscow's control over the Crimean Peninsula is formally recognized.
- Russia defends logic for actions in Ukraine, says was right to seek demilitarization of its neighbor. Press TV 28 Feb 2022 -- Russia has reiterated its logic behind sending forces to Ukraine, saying Western arms supplies to Kiev had shown that Moscow was right to seek demilitarization of its neighbor.
- Russia Envoy to UN Addresses Fake Information in Social Media About Russia's Spec Op in Ukraine Sputnik 28 Feb 2022 -- The Russian military says that Kiev has been using its own people as human shields and spreading fake videos with the clear aim of later accusing Russia of targeting civilians. The envoy called on his colleagues to not fall victim to this information war, acknowledging, however, that sadly his calls "will not be heard."
- Putin puts Russian deterrence forces on combat duty People's Daily 28 Feb 2022 -- Russian President Vladimir Putin ordered the country's deterrence forces to be placed on "a special mode of combat duty" in a Sunday meeting with top defense officials.
- Moscow Warns Russian Media Over War Coverage VOA 28 Feb 2022 -- Russia's media regulator is warning independent news outlets to not report negatively on the war in Ukraine, including on troop causalities.
- Background Press Call by Senior Administration Officials on New Economic Restrictive Measures on Russia The White House 28 Feb 2022
- US Moves to Sever Russian Access to Dollars VOA 28 Feb 2022 -- The U.S. Treasury made its strongest moves yet to sever Russia's access to its assets, the White House said Monday, with measures aimed at both the Russian Central Bank and the Russian Direct Investment Fund.
- Additional Measures Against the Russian Financial System US Dept. of State 28 Feb 2022 -- In coordination with our allies and partners, the United States is taking further measures today against the Russian financial system in response to Russia's continuing premeditated war against Ukraine. Unwavering in our support for Ukraine's sovereignty and territorial integrity, we will continue to act with our allies and partners in imposing costs on Russia if it continues its war of choice.
- Treasury Prohibits Transactions with Central Bank of Russia and Imposes Sanctions on Key Sources of Russia's Wealth US Treasury 28 Feb 2022 -- Today, the U.S. Department of the Treasury's Office of Foreign Assets Control (OFAC) prohibited United States persons from engaging in transactions with the Central Bank of the Russian Federation, the National Wealth Fund of the Russian Federation, and the Ministry of Finance of the Russian Federation. This action effectively immobilizes any assets of the Central Bank of the Russian Federation held in the United States or by U.S. persons, wherever located.
- U.S. Announces New Sanctions Against Moscow Over Ukraine Invasion, Russian Markets Reel RFE/RL 28 Feb 2022 -- The United States has announced new sanctions that block Americans from executing any transactions with Russia's central bank to punish Moscow for its unprovoked invasion of Ukraine, adding to a wave of measures that sent the ruble into a free fall and prompted Bank Rossia to more than double its key interest rate to 20 percent.
- US freezes Russian central bank assets in significant escalation of sanctions Press TV 28 Feb 2022 -- The United States has moved to cut off Russia from the global economy by blocking transactions with the country's central bank, a significant escalation of sanctions against Moscow just days after Russia launched military action in Ukraine.
- US Treasury Prohibits Transactions With Russia's Central Bank, Wealth Fund & Finance Ministry Sputnik 28 Feb 2022 -- Despite Moscow repeatedly offering assurances that it has no plans of occupying Ukrainian territory in the course of its ongoing special operation to demilitarise and "denazify" Ukraine, many foreign countries have rushed to accuse it of invading the neighbouring country and violating its territorial integrity, slapping the Kremlin with sanctions.
- Ukraine: EU coordinating emergency assistance and steps up humanitarian aid European Commission 28 Feb 2022 -- As the humanitarian situation in Ukraine worsens and neighbouring countries receive Ukrainians fleeing their country, the European Commission is working on all fronts to provide emergency assistance.
- Open letter by Presidents in support of Ukraine's swift candidacy to the European Union President of the Republic of Lithuania 28 Feb 2022 -- "We, the Presidents of the EU member states: the Republic of Bulgaria, the Czech Republic, the Republic of Estonia, the Republic of Latvia, the Republic of Lithuania, the Republic of Poland, the Slovak Republic, and the Republic of Slovenia strongly believe that Ukraine deserves receiving an immediate EU accession perspective."
- European Union Determined to Further Increase Military Aid to Ukraine, Borrell Says Sputnik 28 Feb 2022 -- The US and its NATO allies have already pumped nearly $3 billion in military assistance into Kiev since the 2014 Maidan coup d'etat, with US President Joe Biden instructing the State Department to release $350 million more in weapons to the country on Friday.
- Secretary Blinken's Call with Dutch Foreign Minister Hoekstra US Dept. of State 28 Feb 2022
- EU to ban Russian flights over Europe over Ukraine crisis People's Daily 28 Feb 2022 -- European Commission President Ursula von der Leyen announced on Sunday that the EU would shut its airspace to Russian airlines in response to its "special military operation" in Ukraine since early Thursday.
- The French President spoke with the Ukrainian President, Volodymyr Zelenskyy, several times over the past few hours. Ã‰lysÃ©e - President of France 28 Feb 2022 -- The President of the French Republic spoke with the President of the Russian Federation, Vladimir Putin, today, Monday, 28 February 2022.
- The French President spoke with the Ukrainian President, Volodymyr Zelenskyy, several times over the past few hours. Ã‰lysÃ©e - President of France 28 Feb 2022 -- The French President spoke with the Ukrainian President, Volodymyr Zelenskyy, several times over the past few hours.
- France asks its nationals to leave Russia, Belarus immediately People's Daily 28 Feb 2022 -- Due to the closure of European Union airspace to Russia, French Foreign Affairs Ministry asked on Sunday its nationals to leave immediately Russia.
- UK support for Ukraine following Russia's invasion: Foreign Secretary's statement 28 February 2022 UK FCDO 28 Feb 2022 -- Liz Truss gave a statement to the House of Commons on what the UK government is doing to support Ukraine in the face of Russia's barbaric invasion.
- If we do not stand up now, then every nation is at risk: UK statement to the General Assembly on Ukraine UK FCDO 28 Feb 2022 -- Statement by UK Ambassador Barbara Woodward at the General Assembly emergency special session on Ukraine
- Reinforcing our support to the Ukrainian people as they face an urgent humanitarian crisis UK FCDO 28 Feb 2022 -- Statement by Ambassador Barbara Woodward at the UN Security Council Meeting on Ukraine
- UK Treasury Imposes Sanctions Against Central Bank of Russia Sputnik 28 Feb 2022 -- Earlier, the UK announced sanctions measures aimed at "imposing severe consequences on Russian President Vladimir Putin and the Russian economy" over Moscow's special operation in Donbass to defend the Donetsk and Lugansk People's republics (DPR and LPR).
- UK targets Russian central bank with new sanctions Press TV 28 Feb 2022 -- The United Kingdom has taken further measures against Russia, cutting off Moscow's major financial institutions from Western financial markets in response to Russia's military actions in Ukraine.
- Switzerland Joins EU Sanctions Against Russia In Change Of Course For Neutral Nation RFE/RL 28 Feb 2022 -- Switzerland will adopt all the same sanctions already imposed by the European Union against Russia and its leaders and oligarchs over Russia's invasion of Ukraine, Swiss President Ignazio Cassis said on February 28.
- Chinese FM refutes US' allegation on China's inaction over Russia's move in Ukraine, calls it slander Global Times 28 Feb 2022 -- Chinese Foreign Ministry on Monday refuted allegations from the US that the US had repeatedly informed China of Russia's preparation for military operation in Ukraine and urged China to step in but was rebuffed and said it firmly opposes the US' fabrication of information to slander China.
- Actions taken by UN should help cool situation in Ukraine: Chinese envoy People's Daily 28 Feb 2022 -- Actions taken by the United Nations (UN) should help cool the situation in Ukraine and facilitate diplomatic solutions, and restrain from aggravating tensions, China's permanent representative to the UN said here on Sunday.
- China reiterates opposition to unilateral sanctions against Russia Press TV 28 Feb 2022 -- China has reiterated its opposition to the use of illegal and unilateral sanctions against Russia in the wake of a Western move to block a certain number of Russian banks from the SWIFT interbank system amid the conflict in Ukraine.
- Taiwan Cabinet holds special meeting to discuss Russia-Ukraine crisis CNA 28 Feb 2022 -- The Cabinet on Monday held an extraordinary meeting to discuss the possible economic impact of the Russia-Ukraine crisis on Taiwan, which has joined Western countries in imposing sanctions on Moscow.
- As Russia's Ukraine Campaign Escalates, US Reaches out to Taiwan and China VOA 28 Feb 2022 -- As Russia escalates its invasion of Ukraine, the United States is sending a delegation of former defense officials to Taiwan while keeping communication channels open with Russia's ally, China.
- Counting Both US and Russia as Partners, India Faces Diplomatic Test in Ukraine Crisis VOA 28 Feb 2022 -- The Ukraine crisis has presented India with its toughest diplomatic challenge in recent decades as New Delhi juggles ties with its old partner Russia and its growing relationship with the United States.
- Prime Minister chairs high level meeting to review Operation Ganga India PIB 28 Feb 2022 -- Prime Minister, Shri Narendra Modi chaired a high level meeting, his second today, to review the ongoing efforts under Operation Ganga to bring back Indians stranded in Ukraine
- READOUT: Secretary of the Treasury Janet Yellen's Call with Japanese Finance Minister Shunichi Suzuki US Treasury 28 Feb 2022
- Statement by NSC Spokesperson Emily Horne on National Security Advisor Jake Sullivan's Call with Ibrahim Kalin, Spokesperson and Chief Advisor to the President of Turkey The White House 28 Feb 2022
- Erdogan Says Russia's Invasion Of Ukraine Is 'Unacceptable,' But Is Keeping Ties With Both Nations RFE/RL 28 Feb 2022 -- Turkish President Recep Tayyip Erdogan says Russia's attack on Ukraine is "unacceptable," but his country will not turn its back on either state, with Ankara having strong relations with both Moscow and Kyiv.
- Secretary Blinken's Call with Turkish Foreign Minister Cavusoglu US Dept. of State 28 Feb 2022
- Iran's FM elaborates on evacuation of citizens from Ukraine IRNA 28 Feb 2022 -- Iran's Ministry of Foreign Affairs issued a statement on Monday, elaborating on the details of evacuation of citizens from Ukraine.
- Iran sends flight to Poland to bring back students stuck in Ukraine Press TV 28 Feb 2022 -- Iran has sent an aircraft to Poland to bring back its citizens who have traveled from Ukraine where the country's airspace has been closed to civilian flights amid a war with Russia.
- Assad's adviser: West left Russia with no choice, Russia entitled to launch deterrent military operation in Ukraine Press TV 28 Feb 2022 -- An adviser to Syrian President Bashar al-Assad has stressed that Western countries left Russia with no choice other than to launch a military operation in Ukraine as they failed to honor their commitments and the US-led NATO kept expanding eastward.
- Syria censures US-led smear campaign against Russia to maintain global hegemony Press TV 28 Feb 2022 -- Syria has strongly condemned the smear campaign of Western countries, in particular the United States, against Russia, saying they are distorting facts, exacerbating the situation, and aggravating the crisis in order to maintain their hegemony over the world.
- Arab League Supports Efforts to Resolve the Ukrainian Crisis Diplomatically SPA 28 Feb 2022 -- The Arab League Council's meeting at the level of permanent delegates expressed concern about the developments of the current events in Ukraine and supported all efforts aimed at resolving the crisis through dialogue and diplomacy in a manner that preserves the security and safety of people in this important region of the world.
- Myanmar Supports Russian Actions in Ukraine Sputnik 28 Feb 2022 -- Myanmar supports Russian actions with respect to Ukraine, including Moscow's special military operation, and maintains that Russia has the right to defend its national interests, a spokesman for the Myanmar military Maj. Gen. Zaw Min Tun, told Sputnik.
- Vatican Offers to Mediate End to Ukraine War VOA 28 Feb 2022 -- Pope Francis is suffering from acute knee pain and won't preside over this week's Ash Wednesday celebrations after his doctor ordered him to rest. Despite his health issues, the pope has launched efforts to mediate an end to the war in Ukraine.
- Singapore sanctions Russia over Ukraine invasion, but ASEAN statement omits 'I' word Radio Free Asia 28 Feb 2022 -- Singapore broke from ASEAN's line Monday by saying it would impose sanctions on Russia for invading Ukraine, after the Southeast Asian bloc, in a statement, neither condemned Moscow nor called the strike on its neighbor an invasion.
- Answer of Spokesperson for Ministry of Foreign Affairs of DPRK KCNA 28 Feb 2022 -- The spokesperson for the Ministry of Foreign Affairs of the Democratic People's Republic of Korea (DPRK) gave the following answer to the question put by KCNA on February 28, as the U.S. piles up sanctions and pressure against Russia with the Ukrainian crisis as a momentum.
- Secretary Blinken's Call with Central Asian Foreign Ministers US Dept. of State 28 Feb 2022
Join the GlobalSecurity.org mailing list