Weapons of Mass Destruction (WMD)
27 February 2022 - Ukraine Special Weapons News
- Kyiv Mayor Says 31 Dead In Capital From Russian Attacks, As Two Sides Agree To Hold Talks RFE/RL 27 Feb 2022 -- Street fighting broke out in Ukraine's second-largest city and Russian troops are squeezing strategic ports in the country's south following a wave of attacks on airfields and fuel facilities elsewhere in the country.
- Fears of Indiscriminate Russian Shelling Mount as Ukraine Battles On VOA 27 Feb 2022 -- Fears are mounting that Russian forces will turn more to targeting critical civilian infrastructure and mount indiscriminate shelling as the defenders of Kyiv maintain their resistance and hold ground despite redoubled Kremlin efforts to subjugate Ukraine's capital.
- Europe Begins Welcoming Ukrainian Refugees VOA 27 Feb 2022 -- Tens of thousands of Ukrainians are arriving in Eastern Europe, fleeing the Russian invasion of their homeland. Experts predict between 1 million and 5 million could enter the European Union in coming weeks. This time, countries such as Poland are opening doors that were previously closed to others seeking asylum.
- Three Bayraktar Drones Shot Down, Ukrainian S-300 Complex Destroyed During Sunday Ops: Russian MoD Sputnik 27 Feb 2022 -- Russia began a military operation to "demilitarise and denazify" Ukraine on Thursday after a formal request for assistance from the Donetsk and Lugansk People's Republics coping with unceasing Ukrainian attacks. On Friday, President Putin called on Ukraine's armed forces to rise up and seize power from the country's current authorities.
- Lugansk Leader Accuses Ukrainian Forces of Using Scorched Earth Tactics During Retreat Sputnik 27 Feb 2022 -- Lugansk and Donetsk forces, and the Russian ministry of defence, have repeatedly accused Ukrainian volunteer ultra-nationalist forces of using heavy artillery against urban areas they've retreated from.
- Lugansk Leader Accuses Ukrainian Forces of Using Scorched Earth Tactics During Retreat Sputnik 27 Feb 2022 -- According to the ministry's spokesman, the use of these munitions is prohibited under the UN Convention's Protocol on Prohibitions or Restrictions on the Use of Incendiary Weapons.
- Russia launches operation 'from all directions', troops enter Ukraine's 2nd city Press TV 27 Feb 2022 -- Russian troops have reportedly entered Ukraine's second city Kharkiv and fighting is under way after Russia said its army has been ordered to launch an offensive "from all directions".
- Russian forces hit 821 Ukrainian military infrastructure objects -- spokesman People's Daily 27 Feb 2022 -- The Russian Armed Forces have destroyed 821 Ukrainian military infrastructure objects, Russian Defense Ministry spokesman Igor Konashenkov said on Saturday.
- Russia strikes Ukrainian military facilities with cruise missiles -- spokesman People's Daily 27 Feb 2022 -- The Russian Armed Forces have struck Ukrainian military objects with air- and sea-based cruise missiles, Russian Defense Ministry spokesman Igor Konashenkov said on Saturday.
- Ukrainian president says battles going on across country People's Daily 27 Feb 2022 -- Ukrainian President Volodymyr Zelensky said Saturday that Ukraine has successfully beat off "enemy attacks," but battles are ongoing across the country.
- Siege of Kiev main aim of Russia's offensive: Ukrainian Armed Forces People's Daily 27 Feb 2022 -- The siege of Kiev is the primary purpose of Russia's offensive against Ukraine, the General Staff of the Ukrainian Armed Forces said Saturday on Facebook.
- Russia hits more Ukraine targets, more countries urge evacuation of nationals People's Daily 27 Feb 2022 -- The Russian Armed Forces have struck Ukrainian military objects with air- and sea-based cruise missiles, Russian Defense Ministry spokesman Igor Konashenkov said Saturday.
- Meeting with Sergei Shoigu and Valery Gerasimov President of Russia 27 Feb 2022 -- Vladimir Putin had a meeting with Defence Minister Sergei Shoigu and Chief of the General Staff of Russia's Armed Forces - First Deputy Defence Minister Valery Gerasimov.
- Russian Strategic Forces Reportedly on High Alert as Fighting in Ukraine Intensifies DoD News 27 Feb 2022 -- U.S. officials don't doubt reports that Russian President Vladimir Putin has placed Russia's nuclear deterrence forces on high alert, a senior defense official said at a press briefing today.
- Putin Orders Nuclear Deterrent Forces on High Alert VOA 27 Feb 2022 -- Russian nuclear deterrent forces are on high alert ahead of an emergency special session of the United Nations General Assembly on Monday called to increase diplomatic pressure on Moscow over its invasion of Ukraine.
- Putin Puts Russia's Nuclear Deterrent Forces On High Alert, Raising Tensions Further RFE/RL 27 Feb 2022 -- President Vladimir Putin has put Russia's nuclear deterrent forces on high alert amid escalating tensions with the West over his unprovoked invasion of Ukraine.
- Putin puts Russia's nuclear forces on high alert after aggressive statements by NATO Press TV 27 Feb 2022 -- Russian President Vladimir Putin puts the country's nuclear deterrence forces on "high alert," reacting to aggressive statements by NATO's leading members.
- Putin Puts Russian Nuclear Deterrence Forces on High Alert Over Aggressive Statements by NATO Sputnik 27 Feb 2022 -- The Western alliance promised to "hold Russia" and Belarus "accountable" for the "brutal and wholly unprovoked and unjustified" "invasion" of Ukraine on Friday, warning that Moscow would be made to pay "a severe price" for its actions.
- State Duma Speaker: Spec Op in Ukraine Only Way to Stop Genocide of Russian People, Prevent Massacre Sputnik 27 Feb 2022 -- On February 24, Russia announced a special operation in Ukraine after the Donetsk and Lugansk people's republics requested help in countering the aggression of Ukrainian forces. Russian President Vladimir Putin earlier called the events in Donbas of the last 8 years a "genocide" of the Russian-speaking people.
- Telephone conversation with Prime Minister of Israel Naftali Bennett President of Russia 27 Feb 2022 -- Vladimir Putin had a telephone conversation with Prime Minister of the State of Israel Naftali Bennett at the initiative of the Israeli side.
- Putin Assures Israel's Bennett Russia Ready to Talk to Ukraine, Says Kiev Showing 'Inconsistency' Sputnik 27 Feb 2022 -- Russia summoned Israel's ambassador to Moscow on Friday to ask why Tel Aviv "supports neo-Nazis" in Kiev after Israeli Foreign Minister Yair Lapid blasted the Russian military operation in Ukraine as a 'grave violation of the international order'.
- Putin Thanks Russian Special Op Forces for Heroically Performing Their Military Duty in Ukraine Sputnik 27 Feb 2022 -- Earlier, Russia formally recognised the Donetsk and Lugansk People's Republics (DPR and LPR) amid intensified shelling of their territory by Kiev's forces. Moscow launched a military operation in Ukraine in response to a request for assistance from DPR and LPR, with the goal of neutralising Ukraine's military capacity with precision strikes.
- Russian MoD: Azov Battalion Used Grad Systems to Hit Residential Areas on Mariupol Outskirts Sputnik 27 Feb 2022 -- On 24 February, Russia launched a military operation in Ukraine after the breakaway republics of Donetsk and Lugansk requested assistance to defend themselves from attacks by Ukrainian forces.
- Kremlin says Kiev refuses to talk as Ukraine describes conditions as "unacceptable" People's Daily 27 Feb 2022 -- The Kremlin said Saturday that Kiev has refused to hold talks with Moscow, causing Russian forces to resume operations in Ukraine.
- Moscow ready to cooperate with "all constructive forces" on settlement in Ukraine: Lavrov People's Daily 27 Feb 2022 -- Moscow is preparing for negotiations with "all constructive forces" on a settlement in Ukraine, Russian Foreign Minister Sergei Lavrov said Saturday in a phone call with his Turkish counterpart, Mevlut Cavusoglu.
- US drones overhead as Ukraine attacked Russian ships: Moscow Press TV 27 Feb 2022 -- Russia's Defense Ministry has pointed to the likely presence of US drones in the air directing an attempted attack on the Russian Black Sea Fleet by Ukrainian gunboats.
- NATO Allies boost support to Ukraine NATO 27 Feb 2022 -- "NATO Allies are boosting their political and practical support to Ukraine as it continues to defend itself against Russia's full-scale invasion. Thousands of anti-tank weapons, hundreds of air-defence missiles and thousands of small arms and ammunition stocks are being sent to Ukraine. Allies are also providing millions of euros worth of financial assistance and humanitarian aid, including medical supplies to help Ukrainian forces."
- France to deploy 500 soldiers in Romania amid Ukraine crisis People's Daily 27 Feb 2022 -- France will deploy 500 soldiers in Romania within the North Atlantic Treaty Organization (NATO) framework, French daily Le Figaro reported Saturday, citing General Thierry Burkhard, chief of staff of the French Armed Forces.
- German Chancellor Vows to Boost Defense Spending Amid Russia's Military Operation in Ukraine Sputnik 27 Feb 2022 -- The Russian "military operation" in Ukraine was initiated after the Donetsk and Lugansk People's Republics asked Moscow for assistance in defending themselves against attacks by Ukrainian troops.
- EU To Finance Weapons Purchases For Ukraine, Ban Russian Media RFE/RL 27 Feb 2022 -- The European Union plans to take the unprecedented step of funding weapons purchases for Ukraine, EU officials said on February 27 as the bloc announced a raft of new sanctions in response to Russia's invasion of Ukraine.
- Statement by Foreign Minister Annalena Baerbock at the special parliamentary session on the Russian war Germany Federal Foreign Office 27 Feb 2022
- G7 Foreign Ministers' Meeting, Press Release (27 February 2022) Germany Federal Foreign Office 27 Feb 2022 -- Today, Foreign Minister Annalena Baerbock chaired a video conference of the G7 Foreign Ministers of Canada, France, Germany, Italy, Japan, the United Kingdom, and the United States of America, and the High Representative of the European Union. G7 Ministers were joined by the Ukrainian Foreign Minister Dmytro Kuleba.
- PM announces further humanitarian aid to Ukraine Gov.UK 27 Feb 2022 -- Prime Minister Boris Johnson announces Â£40 million of further humanitarian aid to Ukraine.
- Policy statement by Olaf Scholz, Chancellor of the Federal Republic of Germany and Member of the German Bundestag, 27 February 2022 in Berlin Germany - Federal Government 27 Feb 2022 -- "We will now - year after year - invest more than two percent of our gross domestic product in our defence."
- The Secretary's Call with Greek Foreign Minister Dendias US Dept. of State 27 Feb 2022
- Special OSCE meeting on Russia's ongoing aggression against Ukraine: UK statement, 27 February 2022 UK FCDO 27 Feb 2022 -- UK Ambassador Neil Bush says at a special OSCE meeting that Russia's leaders have - without need or provocation - launched the largest European war since 1945.
- U.S., Europe to remove some Russian banks from SWIFT, escalating economic sanctions People's Daily 27 Feb 2022 -- The White House announced Saturday that the United States, joined by European nations and Canada, will remove some Russian banks from SWIFT, the payment system used for most international financial transactions.
- Russia Placed Its Reserves in Countries Where EU Can't Block Them, Borrell Says Sputnik 27 Feb 2022 -- On Saturday, Western leaders agreed on an extensive new package of sanctions in connection with Russia's special military operation in Ukraine, including disconnecting Russian banks already under sanctions from the SWIFT payment system, with the possibility of extending the measures to other Russian financial institutions.
- EU Closes Its Airspace To Russian Planes RFE/RL 27 Feb 2022 -- EU Commission President Ursula von der Leyen says the European Union will close its airspace to Russian airlines and private jets due to Russia's invasion of Ukraine.
- US, European allies move to exclude Russia from SWIFT Global Times 27 Feb 2022 -- As the military conflict between Russia and Ukraine continues, the US and its European allies have put forward another way of piling pressure on the Russian government by moving to exclude Russia from the SWIFT interbank communication system, a move which experts described as "unprecedentedly severe," but is unlikely to deal a fatal blow against Russia not only because of the latter's long preparation, but also its hard-to-replace economic value to the West, particularly Europe, experts said.
- Has China Turned its Back on 'Best Friend' Russia? VOA 27 Feb 2022 -- China refused to join its close friend, Russia, in vetoing a U.S.-backed resolution in the U.N. Security Council deploring Russia's attack on Ukraine.
- China clarifies neutral stance as Russia, Ukraine poised for talks Global Times 27 Feb 2022 -- Although the US and some other Western countries are trying to handle the current situation in Ukraine with waves of sanctions against Russia and questioning Beijing's neutral stance, China has once again clarified its neutrality and the reason to the EU, France, Germany and the UK as to why it opposes sanctions ahead of the UN Emergency Special Session on Sunday.
- Chinese FM elaborates on China's basic position on Ukraine issue People's Daily 27 Feb 2022 -- Chinese State Councilor and Foreign Minister Wang Yi on Friday elaborated on China's basic position on the Ukraine issue.
- Exclusive: Chinese embassy in Ukraine mulls alternative plans apart from charter flights to evacuate Chinese nationals amid rising tensions Global Times 27 Feb 2022 -- The Chinese Embassy in Ukraine is mulling alternative plans to evacuate local Chinese apart from charter flights amid the deteriorating situation in the country, and as long as safety premises are met, they will immediately take action and launch the evacuation plan, the embassy told Global Times in an exclusive interview on Sunday.
- READOUT: Deputy Secretary of the Treasury Wally Adeyemo's Call with Japan Finance Vice Minister Masato Kanda US Treasury 27 Feb 2022
- Statement by Press Secretary Jen Psaki on Japan's Announcement to Hold Russia Accountable The White House 27 Feb 2022
- Japan's Financial Sanctions Against Russia US Dept. of State 27 Feb 2022
- President Raisi: Iran ready to play role in restoring peace to Ukraine IRNA 27 Feb 2022 -- Iranian President Ebrahim Raisi on Sunday underlined Iran's resolve to make diplomatic efforts to help resolve the crisis in Ukraine, adding that Tehran is ready to play its role to restore peace in the country.
- Iran urges Warsaw to facilitate transfer of Iranian expatriates in Ukraine ISNA 27 Feb 2022 -- Iran's foreign minister's assistant and director general of the Mediterranean and Eastern Europe department of the foreign ministry has called on Poland's ambassador to facilitate the transfer of Iranians living in Ukraine.
- Iran supports diplomatic efforts aimed at peaceful settlement of Ukraine conflict: President Raeisi Press TV 27 Feb 2022 -- Iranian President Ebrahim Raeisi says the Islamic Republic welcomes any diplomatic effort aimed at peaceful settlement of the ongoing conflict between Russia and Ukraine.
- West sanctions on Russia opportunity for Iran IRNA 27 Feb 2022 -- The West's insistence on eastward expansion of the North Atlantic Treaty Organization (NATO) has led to Russia-Ukraine military conflict and the Western powers try to impose sanctions on Moscow; so, such a situation can pave the way for Iran to expand ties with Russia and speed up cooperation with regional organizations.
- Lukashenko Says 'Harassment of Belarusians' in Ukraine Could Push Minsk Toward a Special Op Sputnik 27 Feb 2022 -- Earlier, a Russian delegation had arrived in Belarus for negotiations with the Ukrainians, Kremlin spokesman Dmitry Peskov said, after the Belarusian Foreign Ministry said that Minsk has prepared everything necessary for talks between the sides in Gomel.
- Belarusians Protest Russian Invasion Of Ukraine During Vote On Constitutional Changes RFE/RL 27 Feb 2022 -- Protests against the Russia's invasion of Ukraine were held on February 27 in Minsk and other cities as Belarusians cast ballots in a referendum on constitutional changes to tighten Alyaksandr Lukashenka's grip on power.
- Taiwanese Semiconductor Producer Reportedly Suspends Supplies to Russia Due to Sanctions Sputnik 27 Feb 2022 -- Taiwan Semiconductor Manufacturing Company (TSMC) has ceased supplies to Russia due to sanctions over its military operation in Ukraine, Taiwanese media reported on Sunday, citing its sources.
- Ukraine Anti-Invasion Protests Continue in Bangkok VOA 27 Feb 2022 -- Protests against the Russian invasion of Ukraine continued for a second day in the Thai capital Sunday with several hundred demonstrators marching from Bangkok's Lumpini Park to Benchakitti Park.
- US asks Americans to consider leaving Russia immediately Press TV 27 Feb 2022 -- The US State Department has advised American citizens to consider leaving Russia immediately after Russian President Vladimir Putin put the country's nuclear deterrence forces on "high alert."
- At Least 1,400 Detained At Anti-War Protests Across Russia As 100,000 Rally For Peace In Berlin RFE/RL 27 Feb 2022 -- Russians in several cities, including Moscow, St. Petersburg, and Samara, have taken to the streets again to protest Russia's invasion of Ukraine.
- 'Mama, I Didn't Want To Come': Ukraine Asks Russians To ID Their Killed, Captured Relatives RFE/RL 27 Feb 2022 -- As the Russian government remains silent about the number of losses it has incurred in its invasion of Ukraine, Kyiv is appealing directly to families of Russian soldiers to identify their relatives captured or killed in the four-day-old war.
- Russia, Ukraine express willingness to negotiate amid int'l appeal for peace People's Daily 27 Feb 2022 -- As military conflicts between Russia and Ukraine continue to intensify, both sides have expressed willingness to talk with each other to solve the crisis through dialogue.
Join the GlobalSecurity.org mailing list