Weapons of Mass Destruction (WMD)
22 February 2022 - Ukraine Special Weapons News
- Statement from Council of Europe Secretary General Marija PejÄinoviÄ BuriÄ on the military attack by the Russian Federation on Ukraine Council of Europe 22 Feb 2022 -- The Italian Minister for Foreign Affairs and International Cooperation and Chair of the Council of Europe's Committee of Ministers, Luigi Di Maio, has made the following statement:
- Council of Europe Congress President condemns the recognition of the so-called 'people's republics' of Donetsk and Luhansk by the Russian Federation Council of Europe 22 Feb 2022 -- The President of the Congress of Local and Regional Authorities of the Council of Europe, Leendert Verbeek, has made the following statement:
- PM call with President Macron: 22 February 2022 Gov.UK 22 Feb 2022 -- The Prime Minister spoke to French President Emmanuel Macron this afternoon about the chilling developments in Ukraine last night.
- Volodymyr Zelenskyy: By recognizing "independence" of certain districts of the Donetsk and Luhansk regions, Russia is creating a legal basis for further armed aggression against Ukraine President of Ukraine 22 Feb 2022 -- The decision of the Russian Federation to recognize the terrorist groups operating in the temporarily occupied territories of the Donetsk and Luhansk regions is another manifestation of aggression against Ukraine and requires an immediate response from our partners, including the imposition of tough sanctions. This was emphasized by President Volodymyr Zelenskyy during a conversation with media representatives following talks with President of the Republic of Estonia Alar Karis in Kyiv.
- Ukraine to consider severance of diplomatic relations with Russia and other effective steps to respond to recent events - Volodymyr Zelenskyy President of Ukraine 22 Feb 2022 -- President Volodymyr Zelenskyy announced that he had received a request from the Ministry of Foreign Affairs of Ukraine regarding the severance of diplomatic relations between Ukraine and the Russian Federation. The Head of State said this during a conversation with the media following the talks with President of the Republic of Estonia Alar Karis in Kyiv.
- Ukraine qualifies Russia's latest actions as a violation of the sovereignty and territorial integrity of our state - Volodymyr Zelenskyy President of Ukraine 22 Feb 2022 -- By its decisions to recognize the "independence" of the occupied districts of the Donetsk and Luhansk regions, Russia is violating the sovereignty and territorial integrity of Ukraine and legalizing its troops in Donbas, which have been there since 2014. This was stated by President Volodymyr Zelenskyy in an address following a meeting of the National Security and Defense Council.
- Foreign Ministry Statement Russia Ministry of Foreign Affairs 22 Feb 2022 -- "Eight years ago, the legitimately elected President of Ukraine was removed from office by an armed coup in Kiev. Radical forces came to power which immediately announced their intentions to wage an uncompromising war on the Russian language, to inculcate their ideology of aggressive nationalism and to repress all who disagree. The Maidan insurgents rejected every attempt to achieve a political solution to the internal crisis in Ukraine."
- Update on the situation in the Joint Forces Operation area as of 17.00 February 22, 2022 Ukraine MOD 22 Feb 2022
- Biden Shifts U.S. Troops in Europe to Defend Frontline NATO States DoD News 22 Feb 2022 -- President Joe Biden ordered U.S. troops already based in Europe to shore up the defenses of nations bordering Ukraine.
- NATO Secretary General: this is the most dangerous moment in European security for a generation NATO 22 Feb 2022 -- The NATO-Ukraine Commission met in Brussels on Tuesday (22 February 2022) for an extraordinary meeting to address the security situation in and around Ukraine.
- Ukraine: Senior UN officials decry growing risks of dangerous breaches UN News 22 Feb 2022 -- Following Russia's decision to recognize the independence of certain areas of Ukraine's Donetsk and Luhansk regions, the High Commissioner for Human Rights on Tuesday added her voice to the UN's growing chorus of alarm.
- Ukraine crisis testing 'entire international system' - UN chief UN News 22 Feb 2022 -- The latest developments in Ukraine are testing "the entire international system", Secretary-General AntÃ³nio Guterres said at a media stakeout on Tuesday, adding "we must pass this test."
- Press Briefing by Press Secretary Jen Psaki and Deputy National Security Advisor for International Economics and Deputy NEC Director Daleep Singh, February 22, 2022 The White House 22 Feb 2022
- Biden Cuts Off Russia from International Financing Over Ukraine Action VOA 22 Feb 2022 -- U.S. President Joe Biden cut off the Russian government from international financing on Tuesday and imposed sanctions on two large banks, declaring that its actions in Ukraine were "a flagrant violation of international law."
- World Reacts to Russia's Actions Toward Ukraine VOA 22 Feb 2022 -- Governments around the world have responded to Russia's recognition of breakaway areas in eastern Ukraine as independent states, with many condemning the move and urging a diplomatic resolution to the crisis.
- Readout of Secretary of Defense Lloyd Austin's Meeting With Ukraine's Minister of Foreign Affairs Dmytro Kuleba DoD 22 Feb 2022
- Secretary of Defense Lloyd J. Austin III Remarks at a Meeting in Honor of Dmytro Kuleba, Minister of Foreign Affairs of Ukraine DoD 22 Feb 2022
- America 'Unwavering' in Support for Ukraine, Austin Says DoD News 22 Feb 2022 -- During a meeting in the Pentagon, Secretary of Defense Lloyd J. Austin III told Ukrainian Foreign Minister Dmytro Kuleba that American support for Ukraine's self-defense, sovereignty and territorial integrity is "unwavering."
- Remarks by President Biden Announcing Response to Russian Actions in Ukraine The White House 22 Feb 2022
- Readout of President Biden's Meeting with Foreign Minister Kuleba of Ukraine The White House 22 Feb 2022
- Secretary Antony J. Blinken And Ukrainian Foreign Minister Dmytro Kuleba At a Joint Press Availability US Dept. of State 22 Feb 2022
- U.S. Treasury Imposes Immediate Economic Costs in Response to Actions in the Donetsk and Luhansk Regions US Treasury 22 Feb 2022 -- "Today, the United States is taking action to respond to President Vladimir Putin's decision to recognize the so-called Donetsk and Luhansk People's Republics (DNR and LNR) as "independent" states and to deploy troops to these regions by sanctioning two major Russian state-owned financial institutions, imposing additional restrictions on Russian sovereign debt, and sanctioning five Kremlin-connected elites."
- Biden to issue executive order after Russia recognizes independence of Ukraine's breakaway territories People's Daily 22 Feb 2022 -- White House press secretary Jen Psaki said Monday that U.S. President Joe Biden will soon sign an executive order banning Americans from doing business in the two Ukrainian regions that Russia has recognized as independent states.
- Biden says 'this is the beginning of a Russian invasion' as he announces sanctions Press TV 22 Feb 2022 -- US President Joe Biden has said that the United States would impose financial penalties on Russia because of its deployment of troops into two breakaway regions of eastern Ukraine, which Moscow has already recognized as independent republics.
- Reinforced OSCE meeting on the situation in and around Ukraine: UK statement, 22 February 2022 UK FCDO 22 Feb 2022 -- UK Minister James Cleverly condemns President Putin's decision to recognise so-called Donetsk and Luhansk People's Republics, and calls out Russia for undermining the Minsk process.
- Foreign, Commonwealth & Development Office summons Russian Ambassador Andrey Kelin UK FCDO 22 Feb 2022 -- The UK has summoned the Russian Ambassador following its recognition of 2 so-called 'people's republics', and the movement of military forces into Ukraine.
- G7 Chair's Statement on today's G7 call on Russia and Ukraine Germany Federal Foreign Office 22 Feb 2022
- PM statement on the situation in Ukraine: 22 February 2022 Gov.UK 22 Feb 2022 -- Prime Minister Boris Johnson made a statement in the House of Commons on the situation in Ukraine.
- Joint statement by Defence Ministers of the Joint Expeditionary Force UK MOD 22 Feb 2022 -- Meeting in the UK, Defence Ministers from the ten Joint Expeditionary Force nations have issued a joint statement on the situation in Ukraine.
- US, EU to impose new sanctions on Russia over Ukraine Press TV 22 Feb 2022 -- The United States and its Western allies have announced plans to impose new sanctions against Russia after Moscow recognized two breakaway regions in eastern Ukraine as independent republics and sent "peacekeeping" forces there.
- Trump Says Developments in Ukraine Would Never Have Happen During His Administration Sputnik 22 Feb 2022 -- Former US President Donald Trump said on Tuesday that the current developments in Ukraine would never have happened during his administration.
- US Lawmakers Condemn Russian Incursion into Eastern Ukraine VOA 22 Feb 2022 -- U.S. lawmakers stepped up calls Tuesday for sanctions against Russia, urging the Biden administration to act swiftly to penalize Russian President Vladimir Putin for recognizing the occupied regions of Donetsk and Luhansk in eastern Ukraine as independent states.
- Western Allies Impose Sanctions Against Russia After Putin Sends Troops into Eastern Ukraine VOA 22 Feb 2022 -- Western allies quickly moved Tuesday to punish Russia with economic sanctions after President Vladimir Putin recognized the Russian-occupied regions of Donetsk and Luhansk in eastern Ukraine as independent states and sent what he described as "peacekeeping forces" over the Ukrainian border.
- China handles complex Ukraine crisis with caution, principle Global Times 22 Feb 2022 -- The Ukraine crisis sees new change as Russia has decided to recognize two regions in eastern Ukraine as "independent and sovereign states," and the UN Security Council has met on the issue, with China calling on all parties to continue dialogue and consultations and seek reasonable solutions.
- Chinese Foreign Minister calls on all parties on Ukraine issue to remain restrained, resolving disputes through peaceful means Global Times 22 Feb 2022 -- China is concerned about the evolution of the situation in Ukraine and China's position on the Ukraine issue is consistent, Chinese State Councilor and Foreign Minister Wang Yi told US Secretary of State Antony Blinken in a phone call upon request on Tuesday. The legitimate security concerns of any country should be respected, and the purposes and principles of the UN Charter should be upheld, Wang said.
- Chinese FM calls on all parties to remain calm, resolve Ukraine issue through dialogue Global Times 22 Feb 2022 -- Chinese Foreign Ministry on Tuesday called on all parties on the Ukraine issue to remain calm, ease tensions and resolve differences through dialogue and negotiation.
- Chinese envoy urges diplomacy to resolve Ukraine issue People's Daily 22 Feb 2022 -- China's permanent representative to the United Nations, Zhang Jun, on Monday called on all parties concerned to seek "reasonable solutions" to the Ukraine issue.
- Address by the Minister of Defence of Ukraine Ukraine MOD 22 Feb 2022
- Ukraine qualifies Russia's latest actions as a violation of the sovereignty and territorial integrity of our state - Volodymyr Zelenskyy Ukraine MOD 22 Feb 2022 -- By its decisions to recognize the "independence" of the occupied districts of the Donetsk and Luhansk regions, Russia is violating the sovereignty and territorial integrity of Ukraine and legalizing its troops in Donbas, which have been there since 2014. This was stated by President Volodymyr Zelenskyy in an address following a meeting of the National Security and Defense Council.
- Update on the situation in the Joint Forces Operation area as of 11.00 February 22, 2022 Ukraine MOD 22 Feb 2022
- Briefing on operative information in the JFO area Ukraine MOD 22 Feb 2022
- Update on the situation in the Joint Forces Operation area as of 07.00 February 22, 2022 Ukraine MOD 22 Feb 2022
- Ukraine considering cutting ties with Russia Press TV 22 Feb 2022 -- The president of Ukraine says he is considering breaking off relations with Russia, in response to President Vladimir Putin's recognition of two breakaway regions in eastern Ukraine as independent.
- Ukrainian President Seeks 'Clear, Effective' Support In Face Of Russian Actions RFE/RL 22 Feb 2022 -- Ukrainian President Volodymyr Zelenskiy says Kyiv expects "clear" signs of support and action from its allies and not just words as his country faces the threat of invasion from Russia.
- Rumors, Disarray Dominate As Ukraine's Separatist-Held Areas Conduct Evacuation RFE/RL 22 Feb 2022 -- In the late afternoon of February 18, the Russia-backed separatists controlling parts of the Donetsk and Luhansk regions in eastern Ukraine announced the evacuation of residents, setting off a weekend of confusion, fatigue, and fear.
- Russian Parliament's Upper Chamber Greenlights Use of Military Abroad After DPR, LPR Recognition Sputnik 22 Feb 2022 -- Russian President Vladimir Putin ordered the recognition of the two Donbass republics after noting that Kiev had failed to take steps to make peace with them in accordance with the Minsk agreements. Moscow also signed friendship treaties with the republics, which include provisions for joint defence and security.
- Russia's upper house votes to allow Putin to deploy armed forces abroad Press TV 22 Feb 2022 -- Russia's upper house of parliament has unanimously voted to approve a request by President Vladimir Putin to deploy armed forces outside the country in support of ethnic Russians in two breakaway regions of eastern Ukraine, which Moscow has already recognized as independent republics.
- Russia says 'open to diplomacy' over Ukraine, defends recognition of breakaway regions Press TV 22 Feb 2022 -- Russian envoy to the United Nations has reaffirmed Moscow's "openness to diplomacy", noting that President Vladimir Putin's move to declare two breakaway regions in eastern Ukraine independent was aimed at foiling the new "Ukrainian military adventure".
- Putin's Recognition Of Separatist Formations In Eastern Ukraine Embraces All Their Territorial Claims Against Kyiv RFE/RL 22 Feb 2022 -- Along with many other concerns, Russian President Vladimir Putin's quickly implemented decision to recognize the separatist entities Moscow supports in eastern Ukraine as independent states on February 21 immediately raised this question: What, exactly, has Moscow recognized?
- Foreign Ministry statement on recognising the independence of the Donetsk and Lugansk people's republics Russia Ministry of Foreign Affairs 22 Feb 2022
- Deputy Foreign Minister Andrey Rudenko's remarks at the State Duma of the Federal Assembly of the Russian Federation on the ratification of the Treaties of Friendship, Cooperation and Mutual Assistance between the Russian Federation and the Donetsk People's Republic and between the Russian Federation and the Lugansk People's Republic Russia Ministry of Foreign Affairs 22 Feb 2022
- Foreign Minister Sergey Lavrov's answers to questions from Rossiya 1 TV channel, Moscow, February 22, 2022 Russia Ministry of Foreign Affairs 22 Feb 2022
- Putin Orders Troops Into Ukraine; U.S. Calls Decision A 'Clear Attack On Sovereignty' RFE/RL 22 Feb 2022 -- Russian President Vladimir Putin has ordered Russian troops into two separatist-held regions in eastern Ukraine in a military escalation that Western leaders have warned could lead to massive consequences for Moscow.
- Vladimir Putin submits proposal to Federation Council to approve resolution authorising use of Armed Forces abroad President of Russia 22 Feb 2022
- President signed Federal Law On Ratifying the Treaty of Friendship, Cooperation and Mutual Assistance Between the Russian Federation and the Donetsk People's Republic President of Russia 22 Feb 2022
- President signed Federal Law On Ratifying the Treaty of Friendship, Cooperation and Mutual Assistance Between the Russian Federation and the Lugansk People's Republic President of Russia 22 Feb 2022
- Vladimir Putin answered media questions President of Russia 22 Feb 2022 -- The President took a number of questions from reporters about recognition of the Donetsk and Lugansk people's republics.
- Russia Recognises DPR, LPR Within Borders in Which They Proclaimed Independence, Kremlin Says Sputnik 22 Feb 2022 -- Russia's recognition of the two Donbass republics came on 21 February following calls to do so by the Russian State Duma and the DPR, LPR leadership. The decision was made by President Vladimir Putin amid the continuing shelling of cities in the Donbass region by the Ukrainian armed forces in violation of the Minsk agreements.
- Foreign Ministry: Moscow Recognises DPR and LPR Within Borders Where Republics Exercise Their Powers Sputnik 22 Feb 2022 -- On Monday, Russian President Vladimir Putin announced the recognition of the Donetsk People's Republic and Lugansk People's Republic as independent nations and called on Ukraine to "cease hostilities" in Donbass.
- Russia Recognised DPR, LPR to Avoid More Casualties Due to Escalation of Situation by Kiev - MFA Sputnik 22 Feb 2022 -- Russian President Vladimir Putin signed a bill to recognise the independence of the two Donbass republics citing continuing shelling of the two entities by Ukraine's armed forces and Kiev's systematic failure to uphold its part of the Minsk agreements. The latter were signed in 2015 to end the conflict in Donbass.
- Putin Says Kiev's Actions 'Killed' Minsk Agreements Long Before Recognition of LPR, DPR Sputnik 22 Feb 2022 -- Russia has recognised the independence of the Donetsk and Lugansk People's Republics, pointing to Ukrainian authorities' failure to end the conflict in the east by adhering to the Minsk agreements that were signed in 2015 specifically for this purpose. President Vladimir Putin argued that Kiev chose to resolve the conflict via military means.
- Ukraine urges int'l talks over Russia's decision on Donetsk, Luhansk People's Daily 22 Feb 2022 -- Ukrainian President Volodymyr Zelensky said early Tuesday that Kiev has been urging the international community to hold emergency talks over Russia's decision on the status of Donetsk and Lugansk regions in eastern Ukraine.
- Russian Lawmakers Approve Putin Request To Use Military Force Outside Russia RFE/RL 22 Feb 2022 -- Russia's upper house of parliament has voted unanimously on February 22 to grant President Vladimir Putin's request to use military force outside the country, a move further inflaming a crisis with Western countries over Ukraine.
- Readout of Under Secretary of Defense for Policy Dr. Colin Kahl Call with U.K. Ministry of Defence Director General, Security Policy, Dominic Wilson DoD 22 Feb 2022
- Pakistan's PM Urges Peaceful End to Ukraine Crisis Ahead of Visit to Russia VOA 22 Feb 2022 -- Pakistan's Prime Minister Imran Khan is set to travel to Russia on Wednesday to meet with President Vladimir Putin, as the West condemns the Russian leader over the deepening Ukraine crisis.
- Russia has brought us to the brink. We urge Russia to step back. UK FCDO 22 Feb 2022 -- Statement by Ambassador Barbara Woodward at the emergency Security Council meeting on Ukraine
- Secretary Blinken's Call with Ukrainian Foreign Minister Kuleba US Dept. of State 21 Feb 2022
- Foreign Minister Sergey Lavrov's remarks and answers to questions at Security Council meeting, Moscow, February 21, 2022 Russia Ministry of Foreign Affairs 21 Feb 2022
- Comment by Foreign Ministry Spokeswoman Maria Zakharova on the letter by the US Representative to the Office of the United Nations and Other International Organisations in Geneva to UN High Commissioner for Human Rights alleging that Russia is planning reprisals against undesirable persons in Ukraine following its 'occupation' Russia Ministry of Foreign Affairs 21 Feb 2022
- Putin signs decrees recognizing two "independent republics" in east Ukraine's Donbass People's Daily 22 Feb 2022 -- Russian President Vladimir Putin on Monday signed two decrees recognizing "the Lugansk People's Republic (LPR)" and "the Donetsk People's Republic (DPR)" as independent and sovereign states.
Join the GlobalSecurity.org mailing list