Weapons of Mass Destruction (WMD)
20 February 2022 - Ukraine Special Weapons News
- Resilience of the Armed Forces of Ukraine and cohesion of the partners are effective preventive measures - Oleksii Reznikov Ukraine MOD 20 Feb 2022 -- On February 19, Minister of Defence of Ukraine Oleksii Reznikov as a member of the Ukrainian delegation headed by President of Ukraine Volodymyr Zelenskyi was in Munich, Germany.
- Updated situation in the Joint Forces Operation area as of 11.00 February 20, 2022 Glory to Ukraine! Ukraine MOD 20 Feb 2022
- Readout of President Biden's Call with President Emmanuel Macron of France The White House 20 Feb 2022
- Telephone conversation with President of France Emmanuel Macron President of Russia 20 Feb 2022 -- Vladimir Putin had a telephone conversation with President of the French Republic Emmanuel Macron at the French side's initiative.
- The President of the Republic spoke with the President of the United States, Mr. Joe BIDEN and the President of the Russian Federation, Mr. Vladimir PUTIN. √Člys√©e - President of France 20 Feb 2022 -- "The President of the Republic spoke with the President of the United States, Mr. Joe BIDEN and the President of the Russian Federation, Mr. Vladimir PUTIN. (...) Presidents BIDEN and PUTIN have both accepted the principle of such a summit."
- France says Macron, Putin agree to work for ceasefire in eastern Ukraine Press TV 20 Feb 2022 -- French President Emmanuel Macron and his Russian counterpart Vladimir Putin have agreed to work for a ceasefire in eastern Ukraine, Macron's office says, amid growing tensions between Moscow and the US-led NATO over Ukraine.
- Macron Holds Second Phone Conversation With Putin on Sunday - Reports Sputnik 20 Feb 2022 -- French President Emmanuel Macron held a second phone conversation with Russian President Vladimir Putin on Sunday, BFMTV reports.
- Putin Points to NATO Effort to Push Kiev Into Military Solution in Donbass During Call With Macron Sputnik 20 Feb 2022 -- The Donbass has seen a dramatic escalation of military activity in recent days, with local militias and Kiev forces accusing one another of back-and-forth mortar and artillery attacks. On Friday, the breakaways announced a general mobilisation and organized the evacuation of civilians to neighbouring Russia amid fears of an all-out assault by Kiev.
- Remarks by Vice President Harris in Press Gaggle The White House 20 Feb 2022
- US Soldiers in Poland Begin Drills Near Ukrainian Border, Polish Defense Minister Says Sputnik 20 Feb 2022 -- The US soldiers who recently arrived in Poland began military drills close to the border with Ukraine on Sunday, Polish Defense Minister Mariusz Blaszczak said.
- US, Russia Go Toe-to-Toe in Information War Over Ukraine VOA 20 Feb 2022 -- Has U.S. President Joe Biden been boxing in his Russian counterpart, making it awkward for Vladimir Putin to order a "shock and awe" invasion of Ukraine?
- Readout of President Biden's National Security Council Meeting The White House 20 Feb 2022
- Statement from Press Secretary Jen Psaki The White House 20 Feb 2022
- Putin Ready for Diplomatic Solution to Ukraine Crisis, Johnson Tells Macron - Downing Street Sputnik 20 Feb 2022 -- UK Prime Minister Boris Johnson has discussed the situation in Ukraine with French President Emmanuel Macron, with Johnson telling his French counterpart that Russian President Vladimir Putin's "commitments" suggest openness for dialogue, Downing Street says.
- Blinken Says Russia Looks 'On Brink' Of Ukraine Invasion, Says Biden Ready To Meet 'At Any Time' RFE/RL 20 Feb 2022 -- U.S. Secretary of State Antony Blinken warned on February 20 that current developments look like Russia is "on the brink" of invading Ukraine and an extension of joint Russia-Belarus military exercises nearby increases concerns.
- Diplomatic Push Gives Way To Dire Predictions As Ukraine Tensions Remain High RFE/RL 20 Feb 2022 -- A flurry of diplomacy furthered hopes for a diplomatic push to avert the threat of large-scale war in Europe late on February 20, but Western warnings sounded more dire over spiraling tensions around Ukraine.
- Secretary Antony J. Blinken On CBS Face the Nation with Margaret Brennan US Dept. of State 20 Feb 2022
- Secretary Antony J. Blinken On NBC Meet the Press with Chuck Todd US Dept. of State 20 Feb 2022
- Secretary Antony J. Blinken With State of the Union on CNN with Dana Bash US Dept. of State 20 Feb 2022
- Ukraine's President Urges Cease-Fire, Urgent Peace Talks After Speaking With Macron RFE/RL 20 Feb 2022 -- Ukrainian President Volodymyr Zelenskiy called on February 20 for a "regime of silence" and "intensifying" of peace efforts, as France's president conducted urgent telephone diplomacy with the Ukrainian and Russian leaders amid fears of an imminent Russian invasion of Ukraine.
- Ukraine's President Says He 'Supports' Immediate Ceasefire in Donbass Sputnik 20 Feb 2022 -- The announcement comes after days of escalating military activity, including intense artillery and mortar shelling of territory along the contact line. On Friday, leaders of the Donbass breakaways began an emergency evacuation of their civilian population to Russia and mobilised reserves amid fears of an imminent full-on Ukrainian invasion.
- Ukraine, Germany push back against US claims of imminent Russian invasion Press TV 20 Feb 2022 -- Ukraine and Germany have pushed back against assumptions by Washington about Russian intentions to invade the former Soviet state as tensions further escalated after US President Joe Biden warned that Russia could launch an attack "within days."
- Ukraine's Defence Minister Says It's Inappropriate to Speak of Russian Invasion in Coming Days Sputnik 20 Feb 2022 -- Earlier on Sunday, the Russian ambassador to the US, Anatoly Antonov, stated that Moscow has no plans to invade Ukraine, adding that Russian troops are stationed on the country's sovereign territory and "are not threatening anyone."
- Nuclear Ukraine: What Kiev's threats to acquire world's deadliest weapons mean RT 20 Feb 2022 -- Ukraine's President Volodymyr Zelensky has said his nation will have every right to become a nuclear power, citing a document signed by leading world states back when Kiev agreed to get rid of Soviet nuclear weapons in exchange for security assurances.
- Russian expert dismisses Ukrainian nuclear plans RT 20 Feb 2022 -- No single nuclear state will support Ukraine in acquiring its own nukes, an international relations expert told RT
- Going Nuclear Would Be Ukraine's Quickest Path to Pariah State Status, But Can Kiev Actually Do It? Sputnik 20 Feb 2022 -- On Saturday, Ukrainian President Volodymyr Zelensky implicitly threatened to revise Ukraine's non-nuclear weapons state status, telling attendees of the Munich Security Conference that Kiev could pull out of the 1994 Budapest Memorandum - which committed the country to give up its massive Soviet-era arsenal of nukes.
- Artillery Fire Heard on Outskirts of Donetsk Amid Shelling by Ukrainian Forces - Video Sputnik 20 Feb 2022 -- On Sunday, the office of the self-proclaimed Donetsk People's Republic (DPR) at the Joint Centre for Control and Coordination of the Ceasefire Regime (JCCC) said that the Ukrainian armed forces had used 1,120 munitions over the past 24 hours.
- Kiev's Thwarted Attack Against LPR's Positions Resulted in Civilian Casualties, Lugansk Says Sputnik 20 Feb 2022 -- Ukrainian forces shelled multiple settlements overnight in the Donetsk People's Republic (DPR) in Ukraine's southeast, according to the DPR mission to the Joint Centre for Control and Coordination on the ceasefire regime (JCCC).
- West Could Cut Off Russian Companies' Access To U.S. Dollar, British PM Says RFE/RL 20 Feb 2022 -- The United States and Britain would seek to cut off Russian companies' access to U.S. dollars and British pounds if Russia attacks Ukraine, British Prime Minister Boris Johnson warned on February 20.
- Russia Extends Troop Drills in Belarus Amid Sustained Shelling in Eastern Ukraine VOA 20 Feb 2022 -- Russia on Sunday extended its military drills in Belarus, along Ukraine's northern border, after two days of sustained shelling in eastern Ukraine between Russian separatists and Ukrainian forces.
- Russia, Belarus Extend Joint Military Exercises, Minsk Says RFE/RL 20 Feb 2022 -- Russia and Belarus are extending joint military exercises that were due to end on February 20, the Belarus defense minister said, in a move that further intensifies pressure on Ukraine as the West warns of an imminent Russian incursion.
- Belarusian MoD: Minsk, Moscow Have Decided to Continue Drills Due to Escalation in Eastern Ukraine Sputnik 20 Feb 2022 -- The security situation in the Ukrainian breakaways of Donetsk and Lugansk deteriorated significantly in the second part of the past week, with OSCE observers reporting hundreds of violations of the Minsk ceasefire. Donbass authorities responded by starting an evacuation of their civilian populations to Russia, and by mobilizing reserves.
- Chinese FM Wang Yi calls for diplomatic solution, not hyping war over Ukraine issue Global Times 20 Feb 2022 -- Related parties to the Ukraine crisis should return to the Minsk Agreement, lay out a road map and schedule to solve the problem rather than hyping war and creating panic, Chinese State Councilor and Foreign Minister Wang Yi stressed when attending the Munich Security Conference on Saturday.
- Ukraine urges more help from NATO, complains of being used as 'shield' Press TV 20 Feb 2022 -- Ukraine has urged the Western military alliance of NATO for more support in the face of a possible military conflict, complaining about having been used as a "shield" against neighboring Russia.
- Kiev's Forces Attempted to Attack LPR's Positions, Sustained Casualties, Lugansk Says Sputnik 20 Feb 2022 -- Ukrainian forces shelled multiple settlements overnight in the Donetsk People's Republic (DPR) in Ukraine's southeast, according to the DPR mission to the Joint Centre for Control and Coordination on the ceasefire regime (JCCC).
- Kiev Forces Fire Mortars Prohibited Under Minsk Deal at Donetsk Suburbs, DPR Says Sputnik 20 Feb 2022 -- On 18 February, the self-proclaimed Donetsk and Lugansk People's Republics announced the evacuation of their citizens to Russia over an escalation of tensions along the line of contact and the possibility of a full-fledged offensive by the Ukrainian army.
- Stoltenberg Warns of Alleged 'Full-Scale Attack' on Ukraine Sputnik 20 Feb 2022 -- NATO Secretary General Jens Stoltenberg has accused Russia of planning an attack on Ukraine under a fabricated pretext, at the same time denying the validity of the alliance's commitment in 1991 not to expand eastward.
Join the GlobalSecurity.org mailing list