Weapons of Mass Destruction (WMD)
15 February 2022 - Ukraine Special Weapons News
- Foreign Minister Sergey Lavrov's remarks and answers to media questions at the joint news conference with following talks OSCE Chairman-in-Office, Minister of Foreign Affairs of Poland Zbigniew Rau, Moscow, February 15, 2022 Russia Ministry of Foreign Affairs 15 Feb 2022
- Ukraine Will Dominate Defense Secretary's Europe Trip DoD News 15 Feb 2022 -- Secretary of Defense Lloyd J. Austin III is traveling to Europe for meetings with NATO allies during an especially fraught time.
- US Defense Chief Austin in Brussels for High Stakes NATO Talks VOA 15 Feb 2022 -- U.S. Secretary of Defense Lloyd Austin has arrived in Brussels for talks with NATO leadership and allied defense ministers, as tens of thousands of Russian troops have surrounded Ukraine from the north, south and east.
- Deputy Secretary Sherman's Call with French, German, Italian and UK Counterparts US Dept. of State 15 Feb 2022
- Secretary Blinken's Call with Transatlantic Quad Foreign Ministers US Dept. of State 15 Feb 2022
- Deputy Secretary Sherman's Call with Canadian Deputy Foreign Minister Morgan US Dept. of State 15 Feb 2022
- Statement by NSC Spokesperson Emily Horne on National Security Advisor Jake Sullivan's Call with President of European Council FrÃ©dÃ©ric Bernard The White House 15 Feb 2022
- Statement by NSC Spokesperson Emily Horne on National Security Advisor Jake Sullivan's Meeting with Polish Head of the International Policy Bureau Jakub Kumoch The White House 15 Feb 2022
- NATO Says Received Ukraine's Request for International Emergency Assistance Sputnik 15 Feb 2022 -- NATO has received a request from Ukraine for international assistance in case of emergencies of a "various nature" that may affect the civilian population, the alliance said in a statement.
- Canada Sends Machine Guns and Sniper Rifles Worth Over $7 Mln to Ukraine Sputnik 15 Feb 2022 -- Canada's military assistance to Ukraine includes machine guns and sniper rifles, the Canadian Department of National Defence said in a statement.
- Federal Chancellor Scholz in Moscow - Courageous and responsible action is the order of the day Germany - Federal Government 15 Feb 2022 -- In view of the build-up of Russian troops on the border with Ukraine, Federal Chancellor Scholz travelled to Russia for his inaugural visit. He appealed for courageous and responsible action on all sides. After all, he said: "For my generation, war in Europe is now inconceivable - and we must ensure that it stays that way."
- Pre-ministerial press conference by NATO Secretary General Jens Stoltenberg ahead of the meetings of NATO Defence Ministers NATO 15 Feb 2022
- Joint Expeditionary Force Military Chiefs Agree to 'Work Together on Shared Challenges' Amid Rising Tensions with Russia UK MOD 15 Feb 2022 -- The UK's Chief of the Defence Staff Admiral Sir Tony Radakin met with his counterparts from the other Joint Expeditionary Force (JEF) to discuss the situation in and around Ukraine and European security issues.
- Remarks by President Biden Providing an Update on Russia and Ukraine The White House 15 Feb 2022
- Biden Says Attack On Ukraine Still Possible, As West Looks To Verify Russian Troop Pullback RFE/RL 15 Feb 2022 -- U.S. President Joe Biden says a Russian attack on Ukraine is still "very much a possibility," but high-level diplomacy to resolve the crisis over Russia's military buildup will continue in consultation with allies.
- Biden says Russian attack on Ukraine still possible Press TV 15 Feb 2022 -- US President Joe Biden has said that a renewed invasion of Ukraine is "still very much a possibility" hours after Russian President Vladimir Putin said his country is not after a war.
- Biden: Ukraine Invasion 'Still Very Much a Possibility,' Urges Diplomacy VOA 15 Feb 2022 -- U.S. President Joe Biden said Tuesday that Washington believes a Russian invasion of Ukraine is "still very much a possibility," and he appealed to Russian President Vladimir Putin to continue talks â€” or risk severe consequences.
- Russia Keeps West Guessing on Its Ukraine Intentions VOA 15 Feb 2022 -- Russia says it is withdrawing some of its forces from areas close to the Ukrainian border after completing military drills, mocking Western intelligence agencies for naming February 16 as the date a Russian invasion of its neighbor would start.
- Stoltenberg Says No Signs Yet On Ground To Confirm Russian Troop Pullback RFE/RL 15 Feb 2022 -- NATO Secretary-General Jens Stoltenberg says the alliance has yet to see signs on the ground to back up Russian claims that it has pulled back some troops from border areas with Ukraine, though there are signs from Moscow that it is willing to continue dialogue to give some room for hope that a crisis in the region can be averted.
- Stoltenberg: Moscow's Signals About Continuation of Diplomatic Efforts Are Encouraging Sputnik 15 Feb 2022 -- Signs from Moscow regarding the need to continue diplomatic efforts are encouraging, NATO Secretary-General Jens Stoltenberg said on Tuesday.
- Ukrainian Defense Ministry's Website Among Several Hit By Cyberattack RFE/RL 15 Feb 2022 -- The websites of the Ukrainian armed forces and several Ukrainian ministries and banks have been crippled by a cyberattack, the Ukrainian government says.
- Some Russian troops return from Ukraine border in a sign of de-escalation Press TV 15 Feb 2022 -- Some Russian troops deployed in areas bordering Ukraine are returning to their bases following the completion of drills, Russia's defense ministry said Tuesday, in a major step toward de-escalation.
- U.K. Ambassador To Ukraine Warns Cost Of Russian Invasion Will Be 'High' For Both Sides RFE/RL 15 Feb 2022 -- The British ambassador to Ukraine says the international community must make it clear to Russia that the cost of an invasion would be "high" for both sides as the crisis over the Kremlin's buildup of troops near the border reaches a "critical phase."
- Kremlin: US talk of imminent Ukraine invasion 'baseless hysteria' Press TV 15 Feb 2022 -- The Kremlin has denounced as "baseless hysteria" weeks-long US claims that Russia is about to invade Ukraine, as some Russian troops deployed near the Ukrainian border are returning to their permanent bases following the completion of drills.
- Russian Lawmakers Approve Resolution To Recognize Separatist Regions In Ukraine RFE/RL 15 Feb 2022 -- The Russian parliament's lower chamber, the State Duma, has voted in favor of sending a resolution to ask President Vladimir Putin to recognize two territories in eastern Ukraine held by separatists as independent states.
- Russian State Duma Approves Draft Bill on Recognition of DPR and LPR Sputnik 15 Feb 2022 -- According to speaker Vyacheslav Volodin, parliament will send a formal address to President Vladimir Putin, calling for the recognition of the republics in Donbass.
- German Chancellor Scholz Says Ukrainian President Promised Him to Discuss Bills on Status of Donbass Sputnik 15 Feb 2022 -- Ukrainian President Volodymyr Zelensky firmly promised that all bills on the status of Donbass and changes to the Ukrainian constitution would soon be discussed within the framework of the contact group, German Chancellor Olaf Scholz said on Tuesday.
- Could Moldova's Breakaway Transdniester Play A Role In Russian Attack On Ukraine? RFE/RL 15 Feb 2022 -- Ukraine is on edge as it faces what analysts call the greatest buildup of military forces in Europe in decades.
- As Ukraine Tensions Mount, Romania Is Mostly Unprepared For War Refugees RFE/RL 15 Feb 2022 -- NGOs and local leaders say Romania appears ill-prepared for a major influx of refugees if fighting dramatically escalates in neighboring Ukraine and civilians are forced to flee, despite government assurances to the contrary.
- Foreign Secretary statement on Russia's failure to turn up to OSCE military build-up meeting UK FCDO 15 Feb 2022 -- Liz Truss statement on Russia's failure to send a representative to an OSCE meeting about its military build-up on the border with Ukraine.
- Has Ukraine Triggered a Geopolitical Awakening in Europe? VOA 15 Feb 2022 -- Western media outlets have been eager to explain in sweeping geopolitical terms why Ukraine matters â€” presumably fearing readers and audiences might think the fate of a far-flung country on the edge of Europe has no significance for them.
- Eyeing Ukraine, Putin Huddles In A Tight, Hawkish Circle RFE/RL 15 Feb 2022 -- In March 2014, shortly after Russian troops seized Ukraine's Crimean Peninsula, German Chancellor Angela Merkel spoke with U.S. President Barack Obama to discuss the first land grab in Europe since the end of World War II.
- Israel Suspends US-Ukraine Iron Dome Deal Fearing Moscow Backlash, Reports Say Sputnik 15 Feb 2022 -- Israel has suspended participation in a deal on the transfer of Iron Dome missile defense system to Kiev signed between the United States and Ukraine fearing damaging bilateral relations with Russia amid tensions on the Ukrainian border, Israeli Yedioth Ahronoth newspaper reported on Tuesday.
- Russia Fine-Tuning Info Ops as Tensions With Ukraine Rise VOA 15 Feb 2022 -- Russia's effort to encircle Ukraine with more than 150,000 troops has been accompanied by a shift in its information operations, including a noted increase in ongoing campaigns targeting audiences in the United States, according to a senior U.S. Homeland Security official.
- Readout of President Biden's Call with President Emmanuel Macron of France The White House 15 Feb 2022
- UN chief calls for diplomacy to defuse Russia-Ukraine tensions People's Daily 15 Feb 2022 -- UN Secretary-General Antonio Guterres on Monday called for diplomacy to defuse the heightened tensions between Russia and Ukraine.
Join the GlobalSecurity.org mailing list