Weapons of Mass Destruction (WMD)
14 February 2022 - Ukraine Special Weapons News
- Pentagon Press Secretary John F. Kirby Holds a Press Briefing DoD 14 Feb 2022
- Readout of Secretary of Defense Lloyd J. Austin III's Call With NATO Secretary General Jens Stoltenberg DoD 14 Feb 2022
- Readout of Under Secretary of Defense for Policy Dr. Colin Kahl Virtual Quad Meeting with France, Germany, and the UK DoD 14 Feb 2022
- Deputy Secretary Sherman's Call with Chief of Staff for the President of the European Commission Seibert US Dept. of State 14 Feb 2022
- Finland Could Provide Financial Aid to Ukraine, Arms Exports 'More Complicated', PM Says Sputnik 14 Feb 2022 -- Finnish Prime Minister Sanna Marin has voiced a readiness to join western sanctions against Russia, which US and European politicians baselessly accused of harbouring plans to invade Ukraine, even despite the risk of significant collateral damage to Finland's economy as well.
- Address of the President of Ukraine on the unity of Ukrainian society President of Ukraine 14 Feb 2022 -- "Our state is facing serious external and internal challenges that require responsibility, confidence and concrete actions from me and each of us. We are being intimidated by the great war and the date of the military invasion is being set again. This is not the first time. The war against us is being systematically waged on all fronts. On the military one, they increase the contingent around the border. On the diplomatic one, they are trying to deprive us of the right to determine our own foreign policy course. On the energy one, they limit the supply of gas, electricity and coal. On the information one, they seek to spread panic among citizens and investors through the media. But our state today is stronger than ever."
- Ukraine: 'Do not fail the cause of peace' Guterres urges UN News 14 Feb 2022 -- Amid increasing tension over Ukraine between Russia and Western countries of the NATO alliance, the UN Secretary-General declared on Monday that "there is no alternative to diplomacy."
- UN Chief on Russia-Ukraine: 'No Alternative to Diplomacy' VOA 14 Feb 2022 -- U.N. Secretary-General Antonio Guterres urged Russia, Ukraine and the West on Monday to de-escalate tensions, saying "there is no alternative to diplomacy."
- Ukraine's Neighbors Ready for Refugees; War Worries Peak VOA 14 Feb 2022 -- Polish ministers say they are drafting plans with the country's regional governors to cope with the possible arrival of up to a million refugees from neighboring Ukraine in the event Russia decides to invade â€” an action U.S. and British officials have warned could come as early as this week.
- Putin Adds Military Capabilities in Belarus, Russian Border With Ukraine, Kirby Says DoD News 14 Feb 2022 -- Over the last couple of days, Russian President Vladimir Putin has added additional military capability along his border with Ukraine, as well as in the Belarus area that borders Ukraine, said Pentagon Press Secretary John F. Kirby, who briefed the media today.
- 'An Explosive Situation': Open-Source Monitors Say Russia's Military Buildup Near Ukraine Is 'Unprecedented' RFE/RL 14 Feb 2022 -- "My son didn't want to go to Ukraine," said the mother of a Russian soldier from the Buryatia region near Lake Baikal, speaking on condition of anonymity. "He signed a military contract because our family is in debt and his fiancĂ©e is on maternity leave with a baby. At the end of December, he was sent 'for exercises,' as they told him officially. But for some reason they sent him for three months, although they announced the exercises would only last 10 days."
- Federal Chancellor Scholz in Kyiv - Germany stands side by side with Ukraine Germany - Federal Government 14 Feb 2022 -- On his inaugural visit to Kyiv, Federal Chancellor Scholz reiterated that Germany stands side by side with Ukraine. He stressed that no one should doubt the resolve of the Western allies. In the event of military aggression against Ukraine, joint action would be taken, he said - "and it will comprise very far-reaching measures."
- French Foreign Minister Says Nothing Points to Moscow's Decision to Invade Ukraine Sputnik 14 Feb 2022 -- French Foreign Minister Jean-Yves le Drian on Monday said that while there is evidence for a possible Russian incursion into Ukraine, there is no indication that Moscow has made a decision of this sort.
- Kremlin Spokesman Tells US Media Putin 'Willing to Negotiate' on Security Guarantees, Ukraine Sputnik 14 Feb 2022 -- Kremlin spokesman Dmitry Peskov said Russian President Vladimir Putin is ready to hold talks on security guarantees and the situation around Ukraine.
- Kremlin: Ukraine's Rejection of Idea of Joining NATO Would Be Step Towards Stability Sputnik 14 Feb 2022 -- Ukraine's rejection of the idea of joining NATO would be a step towards stabilising the situation, Kremlin spokesman Dmitry Peskov said on Monday.
- Russia keeps door open for more dialog over Ukraine, Moscow suggests Press TV 14 Feb 2022 -- Russia has suggested that it is ready to continue negotiations with the West in an attempt to settle growing security tensions between Moscow and the US-led NATO over Ukraine.
- Moscow Signals Talks To Continue As Germany's Scholz Urges De-Escalation Over Ukraine RFE/RL 14 Feb 2022 -- Moscow has signaled it is willing to continue talks with the West to ease a crisis over Ukraine as German Chancellor Olaf Scholz embarked on another round of diplomacy with a visit to Kyiv, saying there was "no reasonable justification" for Russia's buildup of troops in border areas that many fear could be preparations to invade its neighbor.
- Johnson, Biden Agree on Existence of 'Window' for Diplomacy on Ukraine Sputnik 14 Feb 2022 -- UK Prime Minister Boris Johnson and US President Joe Biden discussed the situation around Ukraine by phone and agreed that there was still a "window" for diplomacy, the Downing Street said.
- US Says Committed to De-Escalation With Russia, But Scales Up Efforts to Deter Moscow Sputnik 14 Feb 2022 -- The United States remains committed to keeping the path of de-escalation with Russia over Ukraine open, but at the same time intensifies its efforts to deter Moscow, Department of State spokesperson Ned Price said on Monday.
- Ukraine official says Kiev may drop NATO bid; retracts statement after backlash Press TV 14 Feb 2022 -- Ukraine may give up its ambition of joining the US-led NATO alliance in a bid to avert "war", the country's envoy to Britain has suggested, noting that Kiev is willing to be "flexible" on the issue.
- Operations at U.S. Embassy Kyiv US Dept. of State 14 Feb 2022
- U.S. Moves Embassy Out Of Kyiv As Germany's Scholz Urges De-Escalation Over Ukraine RFE/RL 14 Feb 2022 -- The United States has announced the relocation of its embassy operations from Kyiv to the western city of Lviv out of concern for the safety of embassy staff, Secretary of State Antony Blinken said in a statement on February 14.
- US closes embassy in Ukraine, 'destroys computer equipment' Press TV 14 Feb 2022 -- The United States announced Monday it was shuttering its embassy in Kiev amid growing security tensions between Moscow and the US-led NATO over Ukraine.
- Chinese diplomatic mission in Ukraine working normally: Chinese FM Global Times 14 Feb 2022 -- The Chinese diplomatic mission in Ukraine is working normally and China calls on all parties to remain rational and refrain from inflaming tensions or hyping up the crisis, the Chinese Foreign Ministry said on Monday.
- Secretary Blinken's Call with Ukrainian Foreign Minister Kuleba US Dept. of State 14 Feb 2022
- U.S. Action to Strengthen Ukraine's Economy US Dept. of State 14 Feb 2022 -- The United States is reaffirming our strong commitment to the Ukrainian people by joining with allies and partners to mobilize robust international support for Ukraine.
- Ukrainian, U.S. presidents discuss security situation over phone People's Daily 14 Feb 2022 -- Ukrainian President Volodymyr Zelensky and U.S. President Joe Biden held a telephone conversation on Sunday to discuss the security situation around Ukraine, Zelensky's press service said.
Join the GlobalSecurity.org mailing list