Weapons of Mass Destruction (WMD)
12 February 2022 - Ukraine Special Weapons News
- Briefing by Aide to the President Yury Ushakov following a telephone conversation between Vladimir Putin and Joseph Biden President of Russia 12 Feb 2022 -- Yury Ushakov briefed media representatives on the telephone conversation between President of Russia Vladimir Putin and President of the United States Joseph Biden.
- Press release on Foreign Minister Sergey Lavrov's telephone conversation with US Secretary of State Antony Blinken Russia Ministry of Foreign Affairs 12 Feb 2022
- 'Anyone who has ever looked into the eyes of our soldiers knows for sure that the aggressor will not take Kyiv, Odesa, Kharkiv or any other city' - a joint statement of Minister of Defence of Ukraine and Commander-in-Chief of the Armed Forces Ukraine MOD 12 Feb 2022
- Readout of President Biden's Call with President Vladimir Putin of Russia The White House 12 Feb 2022
- Background Press Call by a Senior Administration Official on the President's Call with Russian President Vladimir Putin The White House 12 Feb 2022
- Biden Warns Putin Again of 'Severe Costs' as They Discuss Ukraine Crisis VOA 12 Feb 2022 -- U.S. President Joe Biden again warned Russian President Vladimir Putin in a telephone call Saturday of "swift and severe" consequences if Russia invades Ukraine, according to a statement from the White House.
- Biden and Putin Discuss Mounting Russia-Ukraine Crisis VOA 12 Feb 2022 -- U.S. President Joe Biden and Russian President Vladimir Putin held a telephone conversation Saturday as tensions continue to grow amid concerns that Russia is ready to mount an invasion of Ukraine.
- Biden warns Putin of 'severe costs' of Ukraine invasion Press TV 12 Feb 2022 -- US President Joe Biden has told Russian leader Vladimir Putin in a video call that Washington and its allies would respond "decisively" if Russia invades Ukraine. Moscow has rejected the US claims that it is preparing to invade Ukraine.
- Invasion Of Ukraine Would Cause Widespread Suffering, 'Diminish' Russia's Standing, Biden Tells Putin RFE/RL 12 Feb 2022 -- U.S. President Joe Biden told Russian President Vladimir Putin in a phone call on February 12 that the United States and its allies will "respond decisively" with "swift and severe costs on Russia" if it undertakes a "further invasion" of Ukraine.
- Biden Made 'Clear' to Putin That Russia to Face 'Swift, Severe Costs' If It 'Invades Ukraine' Sputnik 12 Feb 2022 -- Presidents Putin and Biden spoke by phone Saturday amid growing tensions over Ukraine. Their conversation was preceded by talks between Foreign Minister Sergei Lavrov and Secretary of State Antony Blinken. The Russian diplomat told his US counterpart that US claims about "Russian aggression" constitute "propaganda" pursuing "provocative goals."
- Telephone conversation with President of France Emmanuel Macron President of Russia 12 Feb 2022 -- Vladimir Putin had a telephone conversation with President of the French Republic Emmanuel Macron at the French side's initiative.
- Telephone conversation with President of Belarus Alexander Lukashenko President of Russia 12 Feb 2022 -- Vladimir Putin had a telephone conversation with President of the Republic of Belarus Alexander Lukashenko.
- Kremlin: West's warnings of imminent Russian invasion of Ukraine reach absurd levels Press TV 12 Feb 2022 -- The Kremlin has scoffed at the West's propaganda campaign aimed at accusing Russia of planning to invade neighboring Ukraine, denouncing US' "peak hysteria" over this issue.
- Russia says US seeking to provoke Ukraine conflict Press TV 12 Feb 2022 -- Russia has accused the United States of seeking to provoke a conflict in Ukraine and waging a "propaganda campaign" against Moscow.
- Blinken threatens Russia with 'resolute, massive' response if it invades Ukraine Press TV 12 Feb 2022 -- US Secretary of State Antony Blinken has threatened Russia's foreign minister with a "resolute, massive, and united Transatlantic response" should the country decide to invade neighboring Ukraine. Moscow has rejected the US claims that it is preparing to invade Ukraine.
- US officials accuse Russia of trying to create pretext for invasion Press TV 12 Feb 2022 -- Officials from the United States, which has a long record of carrying out "false flag" operations to justify its wars, have accused Russia of trying to create a pretext for an invasion of Ukraine.
- Pentagon: US Temporarily Relocating 160 US Military Advisers From Ukraine Sputnik 12 Feb 2022 -- US Defen—Āe Secretary Lloyd Austin ordered for 160 US military advisers in Ukraine to be relocated elsewhere in Europe, the Pentagon said Saturday.
- More U.S. Troops to Deploy to Europe, Guardsmen Reassigned Out of Ukraine DoD News 12 Feb 2022 -- Another 3,000 troops from the 82nd Airborne Division will move to Europe in the coming days, and Secretary of Defense Lloyd J. Austin III is temporarily repositioning 160 troops training Ukraine's military out of the country.
- Russia to 'optimize' diplomatic staff numbers in Ukraine Press TV 12 Feb 2022 -- Russia says it has decided to "optimize" the staff of its diplomatic missions in Ukraine, amid potential provocations by Kiev and its allies.
- Russia 'Optimising' Staff Stationed in Ukraine Out of Fear of Provocations, Moscow Says Sputnik 12 Feb 2022 -- According to the Russian Foreign Ministry, Western media reports about Russia pulling out its diplomats from Kiev are fake and were used as a pretext for the West to withdraw its diplomats.
- Lithuanian Prime Minister Warns Against Thinking Kremlin Is Bluffing Over Ukraine RFE/RL 12 Feb 2022 -- Lithuanian Prime Minister Ingrida Simonyte says that if Russia invades Ukraine, the European Union should act as quickly and decisively against Moscow as it did against Belarus when authorities in Minsk diverted a civilian airplane to arrest a dissident blogger and his girlfriend.
- Taiwan tells citizens to leave Ukraine amid mounting tensions CNA 12 Feb 2022 -- Taiwan's Ministry of Foreign Affairs (MOFA) has advised Taiwanese nationals to leave Ukraine as soon as possible, after the United States warned that Russia could invade the Eastern European country soon.
- Western Evacuation Calls Draw Criticism VOA 12 Feb 2022 -- Britain joined the United States on Friday in urging foreign nationals to evacuate Ukraine while there are still commercial means to do so. The British Foreign, Commonwealth and Development Office updated its advice shortly after the country's defense minister, Ben Wallace, flew out of Moscow after talks with senior Kremlin figures.
- A Senior State Department Official On Our Diplomatic Presence in Ukraine US Dept. of State 12 Feb 2022
- US to evacuate Ukraine embassy amid fears of Russian invasion Press TV 12 Feb 2022 -- The US diplomatic staff have been ordered to evacuate the embassy in the Ukrainian capital Kiev amid reports of a possible Russian invasion.
- US, allies urge citizens to leave Ukraine even as Kyiv calls for calm Press TV 12 Feb 2022 -- The US and some of its allies have called on their citizens to leave Ukraine, raising the alarm about an imminent invasion by Russia despite Moscow's denials and Kiev's warnings that the West's unnecessary scaremongering is wreaking havoc on its economy.
- U.S. To Evacuate Ukraine Embassy Amid Fears Of Imminent Russian Invasion RFE/RL 12 Feb 2022 -- The United States is set to evacuate its embassy in Kyiv as U.S. intelligence officials warn that a Russian invasion of Ukraine is increasingly imminent, the Associated Press reports.
- US State Department Tells Non-Emergency Personnel at US Embassy in Ukraine to Leave Country Sputnik 12 Feb 2022 -- The US State Department has told non-emergency personnel at its embassy in Ukraine to leave due to reports of Russian troop build-up near the border with Ukraine and "potential for significant military action," the US embassy in Kiev said.
- U.S. State Department urges Americans to depart Ukraine "now" People's Daily 12 Feb 2022 -- The U.S. State Department on Thursday urged Americans currently in Ukraine to leave the country "now," citing what it said was "increased threats of Russian military action" against Ukraine.
- Secretary Blinken's Call with UK Foreign Secretary Truss US Dept. of State 12 Feb 2022
- Readout of Secretary of Defense Lloyd Austin's Call With Russian Minister of Defense Sergey Shoygu DoD 12 Feb 2022
- Secretary Blinken's Call with Russian Foreign Minister Lavrov US Dept. of State 12 Feb 2022
- Russia Kicks Off Massive 30+ Ship Drill in Black Sea to Protect Crimea Sputnik 12 Feb 2022 -- The drills are part of a larger series of war games announced by the Russian Navy in January across multiple theatres and involving over 140 warships.
Join the GlobalSecurity.org mailing list