Weapons of Mass Destruction (WMD)
09 February 2022 - Ukraine Special Weapons News
- War in Ukraine Could Spark a Regional Conflict, Officials Warn VOA 09 Feb 2022 -- An international humanitarian official warns a war in Ukraine would be cataclysmic, potentially engulfing neighboring countries and turning into a regional conflict.
- US Says Diplomatic Path Preferred to Resolve Russia-Ukraine Crisis VOA 09 Feb 2022 -- U.S. Secretary of State Antony Blinken said the optimal resolution to the Russia-Ukraine crisis is a diplomatic one and that he expects to consult with his counterparts from France, Germany and Britain in the coming days.
- Russia calls Ukraine's reported plan to acquire US missiles 'provocative' Press TV 09 Feb 2022 -- Russia has censured as "a provocation" a reported Ukrainian request for Terminal High Altitude Area Defense (THAAD) missile systems from the United States, stressing that considering such supplies would deal a setback to efforts to ease an ongoing crisis between Moscow and the West over Ukraine.
- Moscow on Potential Delivery of US THAAD Systems to Ukraine: Russia Urges to Avoid 'Stupidity' Sputnik 09 Feb 2022 -- The statement comes amid a standoff between the Kremlin and the West over the list of security demands Russian authorities made last year, which Moscow says are needed to defuse the crisis in Ukraine and lower tensions in Europe.
- Foreign Secretary flies to Moscow to urge de-escalation of Russian aggression against Ukraine UK FCDO 09 Feb 2022 -- Liz Truss will meet Russian Foreign Minister Sergey Lavrov and make clear the only way forward is for Russia to cease aggression and engage in meaningful talks.
- British Foreign Secretary Arrives In Moscow As European Leaders Pledge Unity On Ukraine RFE/RL 09 Feb 2022 -- British Foreign Secretary Liz Truss has arrived in Moscow on February 9 for talks with Foreign Minister Sergei Lavrov as European leaders take center stage in efforts to defuse an ongoing crisis prompted by Russia's troop buildup near Ukraine that the West suspects is the prelude to an invasion.
- British PM To Visit Warsaw Over Ukraine RFE/RL 09 Feb 2022 -- British Prime Minister Boris Johnson will embark on a one-day diplomatic tour with stops in Poland and NATO headquarters in Brussels amid tensions over the security situation in Europe as Russia amasses tens of thousands of troops on its border with Ukraine.
- France, Germany mediating in Ukraine crisis through shuttle diplomacy People's Daily 09 Feb 2022 -- France, which is holding the rotating presidency of the Council of the European Union, and its ally Germany have been engaged in shuttle diplomacy, trying to de-escalate the Ukraine crisis.
- Backlash to Macron's Ukraine Proposals Builds VOA 09 Feb 2022 -- French President Emmanuel Macron is pursuing a poisoned peace plan, say critics in Europe, who fear the outcome of his talks this week with Russian President Vladimir Putin could be to strengthen Moscow's hand in the crisis over Ukraine.
- What Are the Minsk Accords? VOA 09 Feb 2022 -- The so-called Minsk accords of 2014 and 2015 attempted to end the war in the Donbass region of eastern Ukraine between Ukraine and Russian-speaking separatists in the disputed areas of Donetsk and Luhansk.
- Top Russian Commanders Arrive in Belarus for Military Drills VOA 09 Feb 2022 -- Top Russian commanders arrived in neighboring Belarus on Wednesday, set to oversee 30,000 Russian troops as they train for 10 days with the Belarusian military in the latest show of Moscow's force along the Ukrainian border.
- Ukrainian, French leaders discuss Ukraine's peace process People's Daily 09 Feb 2022 -- Ukrainian President Volodymyr Zelensky and French President Emmanuel Macron met on Tuesday to discuss the peace process aimed at resolving the crisis in and around Ukraine, Zelensky's press service reported.
Join the GlobalSecurity.org mailing list