Weapons of Mass Destruction (WMD)
03 February 2022 - Ukraine Special Weapons News
- NATO and EU Ambassadors meet to discuss crisis in Ukraine NATO 03 Feb 2022 -- sia's military build-up in and around Ukraine and the implications for European and international security were discussed at today's (03 February 2022) informal meeting between the North Atlantic Council and the European Union's Political and Security Committee (PSC).
- NATO Chief Discusses Ukraine With Hungarian Prime Minister After His Visit to Russia Sputnik 03 Feb 2022 -- NATO Secretary General Jens Stoltenberg has discussed the situation around Ukraine with Hungarian Prime Minister Viktor Orban in the aftermath of the latter's visit to Moscow.
- US Aware of Russian Plan to Use Staged Attack as Pretext for Ukraine Offensive: Senior US Official VOA 03 Feb 2022 -- The United States has information indicating that Russia has developed a plan to stage a false Ukrainian military attack on Russian territory and leverage it as a pretext for an attack against Ukraine, according to a senior Biden administration official.
- U.S. Says New Intelligence Shows Russian Plans To Create Pretext For Invading Ukraine RFE/RL 03 Feb 2022 -- The United States has obtained intelligence indicating that Russia has formed a plan to stage a false attack, which would serve as justification for an invasion of Ukraine, according to the U.S. State Department and U.S. officials quoted in news reports on February 3.
- Pentagon Claims Russians 'Likely to Want to Fabricate' Attack by Ukraine to Justify Invasion Sputnik 03 Feb 2022 -- After months of claiming a Russian invasion of Ukraine was "imminent," the Biden administration on Wednesday said it would stop using the term because it "sends a message that we weren't intending to send," according to spokesperson Jen Psaki.
- Washington Post: US claims Russia is preparing false flag op for Ukraine invasion Press TV 03 Feb 2022 -- US officials claim they have evidence that Russia has prepared a false flag operation, approved at high levels in Moscow, to create a pretext for invading Ukraine, according to a Washington Post report.
- US says Russian invasion of Ukraine no longer 'imminent' as it deploys more troops to Eastern Europe Press TV 03 Feb 2022 -- The administration of President Joe Biden is no longer using the word "imminent" to describe a potential Russian invasion of Ukraine, backing away from an assessment US officials had repeatedly voiced in recent days.
- Erdogan Reiterates Offer To Mediate In Ukraine-Russia Standoff RFE/RL 03 Feb 2022 -- Ukrainian President Volodymyr Zelenskiy has welcomed an offer from visiting Turkish President Recep Tayyip Erdogan to mediate in Kyiv's standoff with Moscow.
- Netherlands Says Should Be Ready for Potential Gas Shortage Amid Tensions Around Ukraine Sputnik 03 Feb 2022 -- The Dutch government should prepare for a possible shortage of national gas reserves amid an escalation of the Ukrainian crisis, including through the diversification of suppliers and energy carriers, the Foreign and Defense Ministries said on Thursday.
- U.S. to deploy additional 3,000 troops to Europe amid Ukraine tensions People's Daily 03 Feb 2022 -- The United States will deploy additional troops to Europe, the Defense Department announced Wednesday, citing tensions on Ukraine's borders.
- Russia slams US troops deployment, says it escalates tensions in Europe Press TV 03 Feb 2022 -- Russia has urged the United States to stop escalating tensions over Ukraine after Washington announced it will be deploying several thousand troops to Eastern Europe.
- Russia slams growing US military buildup in Eastern Europe as 'destructive' Press TV 03 Feb 2022 -- Russia has slammed the increasing military buildup by the United States in Eastern Europe and near Russian borders as "destructive" and said it will diminish the likelihood of finding a political solution to the current standoff over Ukraine.
Join the GlobalSecurity.org mailing list