Weapons of Mass Destruction (WMD)
02 February 2022 - Ukraine Special Weapons News
- Rep. Omar's Statement on Proposed Ukraine Defense Bill Rep. Ilhan Omar 02 Feb 2022 -- "A Russian invasion of Ukraine would be catastrophic and must be avoided at all costs. A core progressive principle is opposing war, and it should go without saying that I strongly oppose the Russian war of aggression in Ukraine. The United States and our allies should be doing everything we can to stop another disastrous war and pursue all possible diplomatic avenues to resolve this crisis peacefully."
- Ukraine conflict affecting children's mental health: UNICEF UN News 02 Feb 2022 -- The grinding conflict in eastern Ukraine is increasingly affecting the mental health of boys and girls, causing nightmares, social isolation and panic attacks, the UN Children's Fund (UNICEF) has reported.
- US Sending 2,000 More Troops to Europe to Bolster NATO's Eastern Flank VOA 02 Feb 2022 -- The U.S. said Wednesday it is dispatching 2,000 more troops to Europe, most of them to Poland, and moving 1,000 troops from Germany to Romania to bolster NATO's eastern flank countries in the face of Russia's continued military buildup along its border with Ukraine.
- U.S. to Deploy 3,000 Troops to Romania, Poland, Germany DoD News 02 Feb 2022 -- The United States will move approximately 3,000 service members to Romania, Poland and Germany in response to Russia's continuing build-up of forces on its western border with Ukraine and in Belarus, Pentagon Press Secretary John F. Kirby said today during a news conference.
- US to deploy additional 2,500 troops to Poland as tensions simmer over Ukraine Press TV 02 Feb 2022 -- Poland says the United States is set to deploy an additional 2,500 troops to the country as part of Washington's plans to station more soldiers in Eastern Europe amid tensions with Russia.
- Biden Has Approved Deploying More Troops to Europe in 'Coming Days' Amid Ukraine Tensions, DoD Says Sputnik 02 Feb 2022 -- On Friday, the White House announced that Washington would be moving additional troops to Eastern Europe, without specifying how many would be sent or where they would be deployed. On Wednesday, Warsaw announced that 2,500 additional US troops would be stationed in Poland.
- Warsaw Says US Will Deploy Additional 2,500 Troops to Poland Sputnik 02 Feb 2022 -- Currently, there are some 5,500 US soldiers deployed in Poland. More troops are expected to be sent to the country as US President Joe Biden earlier announced that Washington will deploy additional American forces in Eastern Europe.
- Erdogan Goes to Ukraine in Bid to Avert Conflict VOA 02 Feb 2022 -- Turkish president Recep Tayyip Erdogan visits Ukraine Thursday to mediate between Kyiv and Moscow amid rising tensions. Despite having close ties with both the Ukrainian and Russian presidents, analysts warn Erdogan faces a challenge on several fronts.
- Ukraine Says Russian Buildup 'Not Sufficient' For Invasion, Urges West To Finalize Sanctions RFE/RL 02 Feb 2022 -- Ukraine says Russian forces near its border are not yet large enough to conduct a full-scale invasion, even as the United States continues to insist an attack could be "imminent."
- Ukrainian Foreign Minister Rejects Special Status For Areas Controlled By Separatists RFE/RL 02 Feb 2022 -- Ukrainian Foreign Minister Dmytro Kuleba says his country will never give special status to parts of eastern regions of Luhansk and Donetsk, commonly known as the Donbas, which have been under the control of Moscow-backed separatists since April 2014.
- French FM says no sign of Russia action in Ukraine Press TV 02 Feb 2022 -- French Foreign Minister Jean-Yves Le Drian has spoken against US insistence that Russia is set to invade neighboring Ukraine, saying there are no current indications to that effect, as more Europeans move to avert another US-led row with Moscow.
- London Again Warns Moscow Against Invading Ukraine As U.S. Sends Troops To Europe RFE/RL 02 Feb 2022 -- British Prime Minister Boris Johnson has told Russian President Vladimir Putin that any incursion into Ukraine would be a tragic miscalculation as the United States prepares to send thousands of troops to Europe to bolster NATO allies.
- Putin says US trying to draw Russia into war over Ukraine Press TV 02 Feb 2022 -- President Vladimir Putin has accused the West of deliberately designing a scenario to lure Russia into a war over Ukraine.
- Putin To Consult With Johnson Over Ukraine After Accusing West Of Ignoring Russia's Concerns RFE/RL 02 Feb 2022 -- Russian President Vladimir Putin and British Prime Minister Boris Johnson are due to talk by phone on February 2 amid a flurry of diplomacy meant to try to ease tensions over Moscow's troop build-up at the border with Ukraine that have raised fears of a possible invasion.
- Ukraine: Foreign Secretary's call with Ukrainian Foreign Minister Dmytro Kuleba, 2 February 2022 UK FCDO 02 Feb 2022 -- Foreign Secretary Liz Truss spoke to Ukrainian Foreign Minister Dmytro Kuleba about the UK's ongoing support for Ukraine in the face of Russian aggression.
- Russia Ramping Up Disinformation Regarding Ukraine, Say Western Officials VOA 02 Feb 2022 -- The Kremlin is ramping up a disinformation offensive aimed at demoralizing Ukraine and Western powers, using Russian state-owned broadcasters and trolls on social media platforms to portray the West as the aggressor and the government in Kyiv as a puppet of NATO, say Western officials and information war experts.
Join the GlobalSecurity.org mailing list