Weapons of Mass Destruction (WMD)
31 January 2022 - Ukraine Special Weapons News
- High Alert: NATO Sends Troops, Warplanes East to Counter Russian Threat VOA 31 Jan 2022 -- NATO member states are sending thousands of troops, warplanes and ships to allies in eastern Europe as tensions with Russia escalate over Moscow's deployment of more than 100,000 troops to its border with Ukraine. The West fears an imminent Russian invasion, which the Kremlin denies.
- 'No alternative to diplomacy' in Ukraine crisis, Security Council hears UN News 31 Jan 2022 -- Following weeks of heightened tensions around Ukraine, with reports that Russia has been deploying more than 100,000 troops and heavy weapons close to its border, the United Nations' Security Council held its first meeting to discuss ways of de-escalating the crisis on Monday.
- At UN, US Demands Russia Explain Its Troop Buildup on Ukraine Border VOA 31 Jan 2022 -- The United States and Russia faced off Monday at the United Nations Security Council over Washington's accusations that Moscow is planning a large-scale invasion of neighboring Ukraine, which the Kremlin has denied.
- Statement from President Biden on United Nations Security Council Meeting The White House 31 Jan 2022
- We urge Russia to make clear it will stand down its troops UK FCDO 31 Jan 2022 -- Statement by Ambassador James Kariuki at the Security Council meeting on Ukraine
- US Urges UN Security Council to Act on Ukraine Crisis as Russia Denies Invasion Claims Sputnik 31 Jan 2022 -- Washington has repeatedly alleged that Moscow could be planning to invade Ukraine, ignoring the Kremlin's many assurances that this was not so. Russia accused the US and other western countries of artificially magnifying the fears of war and urged them to cease this dangerous rhetoric.
- Russia's envoy: US trying to 'whip up hysteria' over Ukraine with UN meeting Press TV 31 Jan 2022 -- Russia's envoy to the United Nations says the United States is trying to "whip up hysteria" by pushing for a UN Security Council meeting on the Ukrainian crisis as Washington is seeking to mislead the world community about the real state of things around Ukraine.
- Lavrov, Blinken To Speak By Phone Amid Continued Efforts To Ease Ukraine Crisis RFE/RL 31 Jan 2022 -- Russian Foreign Minister Sergei Lavrov is expected to speak by phone with U.S. Secretary of State Antony Blinken on February 1 as tensions continue simmer over a Russian troop buildup near its borders with Ukraine.
- Biden: US Desires Diplomacy But 'Ready No Matter What Happens' if Ukraine Tensions Worsen Sputnik 31 Jan 2022 -- On Monday, US President Joe Biden reiterated the United States' commitment to diplomacy as tensions between Russia, Ukraine, and NATO worsened.
- UK PM Johnson Says He Will Tell Putin to 'Step Back From the Brink' in Ukraine Sputnik 31 Jan 2022 -- UK Prime Minister Boris Johnson said on Monday ahead of a phone conversation with Russian President Vladimir Putin that he will tell him that "we really all need to step back from the brink," adding that a Russian invasion of Ukraine would be an "absolute disaster for the world".
- Telephone conversation with President of France Emmanuel Macron President of Russia 31 Jan 2022 -- Vladimir Putin had another telephone conversation with President of the French Republic Emmanuel Macron.
- US sanctions on Russia over Ukraine to impact global economies, says report Press TV 31 Jan 2022 -- The sanctions that Americans are mulling against Russia over the Ukraine crisis could lead to high inflation and other forms of economic recession that would affect not only Russia but the entire global financial system, warns a report.
- Officials Detain Group That Allegedly Planned Violent Disturbances In Kyiv RFE/RL 31 Jan 2022 -- Authorities in Ukraine have detained a group of people suspected of planning violent public acts across the country, including in the capital, Kyiv.
- Denmark Not Ruling Out Military Support to Ukraine After Granting Millions in Aid Sputnik 31 Jan 2022 -- Earlier, Denmark contributed a frigate to the combined NATO force in the Baltic Sea and fighter jets to the air police missions over the Baltic States, presenting both steps as surveillance, deterrence, and "sending a signal to Russia". Most recently, the Danish PM also threatened Russia with sanctions of "unprecedented dimensions".
- Kiev Trying to Hide Movement of Heavy Weaponry, Equipment to Donbass - LPR Head Sputnik 31 Jan 2022 -- Kiev is moving heavy weaponry and equipment to the southeast of Ukraine (Donbass), trying to hide this from observers of the Organisation for Security and Co-operation in Europe (OSCE) Special Monitoring Mission (SMM), the leader of the self-proclaimed Lugansk People's Republic (LPR), Leonid Pasechnik said.
- Mercenaries Arrive in Ukraine Disguised as Foreign Military Instructors, LPR Head Says Sputnik 31 Jan 2022 -- There are increasing numbers of mercenaries in southeastern Ukraine (Donbass), who arrive there under the guise of military instructors, the leader of the self-proclaimed Lugansk People's Republic (LPR), Leonid Pasechnik, told Sputnik.
- Canada Joins Allies In Cutting Embassy Personnel, Shifting Troops In Ukraine RFE/RL 31 Jan 2022 -- Canada says it will shift its military forces in Ukraine westward and will temporarily pull out nonessential Canadian employees at its Kyiv embassy, joining other Western nations in taking precautions amid rising tensions between Ukraine and Russia.
Join the GlobalSecurity.org mailing list