Weapons of Mass Destruction (WMD)
28 January 2022 - Ukraine Special Weapons News
- U.S., in Lockstep With NATO Allies, Calls on Putin to Stand Down DoD News 28 Jan 2022 -- The United States is in lockstep with NATO allies in calling for Russian President Vladimir Putin to de-escalate his country's situation with Ukraine, U.S. defense leaders said during a Pentagon news conference today.
- NATO Secretary General outlines NATO's response to renewed tensions in Europe NATO 28 Jan 2022 -- Secretary General Jens Stoltenberg today reiterated that NATO is the most successful Alliance in history, because Allies have remained united and because NATO has been able to adapt. That is exactly what NATO is doing today in the face of renewed tensions in Europe resulting from Russia's significant and unprovoked military build-up in and around Ukraine.
- Remarks by President Biden After Air Force One Arrival The White House 28 Jan 2022
- US Warns 'Horrific' Outcome Nearing in Ukraine if Moscow Eschews Diplomacy VOA 28 Jan 2022 -- The most senior U.S. military officer warns Russia will end up blazing a path of death and devastation, for all sides, should it decide to resolve its differences with Ukraine by using military force.
- Biden: 'Distinct Possibility' Russia Will Invade Ukraine VOA 28 Jan 2022 -- U.S. President Joe Biden warned Ukrainian President Volodymyr Zelenskiy on Thursday there is a "distinct possibility" that Russia could invade Ukraine next month, according to a White House statement.
- U.S. Urges Russian Troop Withdrawal As Putin Says West Has 'Ignored' Its Security Concerns RFE/RL 28 Jan 2022 -- President Vladimir Putin says the West has "ignored" Moscow's security concerns over the expansion of NATO as the United States again urged Russia to withdraw its forces from areas near Ukraine's borders amid continued fears that the troop buildup could be a prelude to an invasion of its western neighbor.
- Pentagon asks Russia to 'stand down' on Ukraine Press TV 28 Jan 2022 -- The Pentagon called on Moscow to "stand down" on Ukraine after the United States ratcheted up tensions with a claim that Russia is about to invade its neighbor.
- NATO Not Planning to Deploy Combat Troops in Ukraine, Stoltenberg Says Sputnik 28 Jan 2022 -- The NATO chief admits that there are disagreements among allies on how to assist Ukraine. Western officials and media have spent months claiming that Russia is poised to invade its neighbour. Moscow has dismissed these allegations, suggesting the Western alliance is using the tensions to justify its continued buildup in Eastern Europe.
- US crying wolf: Russia says not after war, Ukraine hails 'constructive talks' Press TV 28 Jan 2022 -- Foreign Minister Sergei Lavrov says Russia does not want war with Ukraine, dismissing US claims of an imminent conflict and assuring that there will be no war.
- Germany refuses to send weapons to Ukraine amid tensions Press TV 28 Jan 2022 -- Germany's stance in the escalating tensions between Russia and Ukraine is under increasing scrutiny. Although other NATO allies, including the US, have agreed to export weapons directly to Ukraine, the German government has so far declined to do so.
- Zelenskiy Calls For Calm, Warns Of Destabilization Amid Russia Fears RFE/RL 28 Jan 2022 -- Ukraine's president again pushed back on U.S. assertions that a new Russian invasion of Ukraine was imminent, as he sought to tamp down fears within the country and ease mounting economic strains.
- Can Ukraine's Economy Withstand Russian Pressure? It's Better Prepared This Time Around. RFE/RL 28 Jan 2022 -- As Russian massed tens of thousands of troops near the border with Ukraine last fall in a possible prelude to an offensive, military experts warned that invading forces would face a much stronger army than Kyiv possessed in 2014, when Moscow seized Crimea and backed separatist forces in the Donbas region.
- Readout of Secretary of Defense Lloyd Austin's Phone Call With France Minister of the Armed Forces Florence Parly DoD 28 Jan 2022
- Readout of Secretary of Defense Lloyd J. Austin III's Call With German Federal Minister of Defense Christine Lambrecht DoD 28 Jan 2022
- Deputy Secretary Sherman's Meeting with UK National Security Advisor Lovegrove US Dept. of State 28 Jan 2022
- China Eyes Risks and Rewards of US-Russia Standoff Over Ukraine VOA 28 Jan 2022 -- China is watching with growing interest as Russia and the West face off over Ukraine. With more than 100-thousand Russian troops deployed on the Ukrainian border, there is growing concern among Western nations that the Kremlin is planning an imminent invasion. Moscow has denied any such plans.
Join the GlobalSecurity.org mailing list