Weapons of Mass Destruction (WMD)
25 January 2022 - Ukraine Special Weapons News
- Additional Security Assistance Headed to Ukraine DoD News 25 Jan 2022 -- Yesterday the Pentagon announced that some 8,500 U.S.-based military personnel have been put on a high state of alert. While none of those troops has yet been asked to deploy, Pentagon spokesperson John F. Kirby told reporters the Defense Department and the U.S. government continue to be actively involved in addressing concerns of NATO allies about a possible Russian incursion into Ukraine.
- Third US plane loaded with arms lands in Kiev amid tensions with Russia Press TV 25 Jan 2022 -- An American aircraft carrying military equipment and munitions has landed in Ukraine, carrying the third such arms shipments supplied to Kiev amid escalating tensions between the West and Russia.
- Ukrainian Troops Trained by UK to Use New Anti-Tank Weapons, Defense Ministry Says Sputnik 25 Jan 2022 -- British military advisers are training the Ukrainian army to use the recently-delivered advanced anti-tank missile systems NLAW, the Ukrainian Defense Ministry's information agency Armiya Inform said on Tuesday.
- Pentagon: New US Military Aid Arriving in Ukraine, Including Anti-Tank Javelin Missiles Sputnik 25 Jan 2022 -- The latest shipment of US military aid to Ukraine, including hundreds of Javelin anti-tank missiles, is arriving in the country on Tuesday, Defence Department spokesperson John Kirby said on Tuesday.
- Polish Prime Minister Disappointed by Germany's Refusal to Supply Arms to Ukraine Sputnik 25 Jan 2022 -- Polish Prime Minister Mateusz Morawiecki on Tuesday expressed his dismay at Germany's refusal to supply arms to Ukraine amid fears of Russia's alleged plans to invade.
- Background Press Call by Senior Administration Officials on Russia Ukraine Economic Deterrence Measures The White House 25 Jan 2022
- Biden Warns of 'Severe' Actions if Russia Invades Ukraine VOA 25 Jan 2022 -- U.S. President Joe Biden on Tuesday warned of "severe" and "enormous" consequences for Russian President Vladimir Putin â€” including personal sanctions against Putin himself â€” if the Russian leader mobilizes the estimated 127,000 troops who stand ready to strike along the Ukrainian border.
- Biden says considering imposing direct sanctions on Putin Press TV 25 Jan 2022 -- US President Joe Biden has said he would consider imposing direct economic sanctions on Russian President Vladimir Putin if he orders an invasion of Ukraine.
- Biden Confirms 'No Intention' to Move American, NATO Forces Into Ukraine Sputnik 25 Jan 2022 -- US President Joe Biden confirmed on Tuesday that there is no intention to deploy American or NATO forces into Ukraine.
- Americans Out: Ukrainians Confront Mixed Messaging As War Threat Looms RFE/RL 25 Jan 2022 -- When he arrived in the Ukrainian capital last October, John Vsetecka planned to spend his yearlong Fulbright grant digging into archives dating back to the Soviet era, researching the horrific 1930s famine known as the Holodomor. The research would help underpin his doctoral work at Michigan State University.
- Kremlin: US escalating tensions over Ukraine, Russia eyes actions with great concern Press TV 25 Jan 2022 -- The Kremlin says the United States is fueling tensions over Ukraine, stressing that Moscow is watching with great concern, after Washington put thousands of troops on alert for deployment in Eastern Europe.
- West Ups Sanctions Pressure On Moscow As Russia Launches Military Drills Near Ukraine RFE/RL 25 Jan 2022 -- The United States and its allies are stepping up pressure on Moscow as Russia kicked off military drills near Ukraine involving thousands of troops and dozens of warplanes amid persisting fears that Moscow would invade its neighbor.
- Johnson: UK to Look Into Contributing to NATO Deployments in Event of Ukraine Escalation Sputnik 25 Jan 2022 -- The United Kingdom will look into contributing to new NATO deployments in eastern Europe in the event of escalation in Ukraine, Prime Minister Boris Johnson said.
- LPR Defense Ministry Says Detected Armoured Vehicles of Ukrainian Forces Near Contact Line Sputnik 25 Jan 2022 -- The intelligence services of the People's Militia of the self-proclaimed Luhansk People's Republic (LPR) detected armoured vehicles of the Ukrainian security forces in a residential area of the town of Schastia, controlled by Kiev, near the line of contact in Donbass, the LPR defence ministry said on Tuesday.
- U.S. Warns Belarus Against Helping Potential Russian Invasion Of Ukraine RFE/RL 25 Jan 2022 -- The United States has warned the regime of Belarusian strongman Alyaksandr Lukashenka it would also face a "decisive response" if it assists ally Russia in invading their neighbor Ukraine.
Join the GlobalSecurity.org mailing list