Weapons of Mass Destruction (WMD)
24 January 2022 - Ukraine Special Weapons News
- DHS Claims Russia May Mount Cyberattack on US Amid Ukraine Tensions - Reports Sputnik 24 Jan 2022 -- Russia may conduct a cyberattack on the United States if it concludes that its national security is threatened as a result of a US or NATO response to a potential escalation of the Ukraine conflict, CNN reported on Monday, citing a Department of Homeland Security (DHS) intelligence bulletin.
- Russian Ambassador Calls Canada Hacking Allegations 'Hysteria,' Western Propaganda Sputnik 24 Jan 2022 -- Allegations of Russia being behind the recent cyber attack on the Canadian Foreign Ministry is hysteria and part of self-produced Western propaganda, Russian Ambassador to Canada Oleg Stepanov told Sputnik.
- Austin Places 8,500 Troops on Heightened Readiness to Deploy to Europe DoD News 24 Jan 2022 -- Secretary of Defense Lloyd J. Austin III has placed 8,500 U.S. service members to heightened preparedness to deploy given Russia's continuing provocations along its border with Ukraine, Pentagon Press Secretary John F. Kirby said today.
- Pentagon Press Secretary John Kirby Holds a Press Briefing DoD 24 Jan 2022
- US further ratchets up tensions with Russia, puts 8,500 troops on 'higher-alert' Press TV 24 Jan 2022 -- The United States is further ratcheting up tensions with Russia, announces to put about American 8,500 troops on heightened alert for a possible deployment to Eastern Europe, amid claims that Moscow is preparing to invade Ukraine.
- NATO Kicks Off Vigilance Activity Neptune Strike 2022 US Navy 24 Jan 2022 -- Naval Striking and Support Forces NATO (STRIKFORNATO) and U.S. Sixth Fleet (SIXTHFLT) commenced NATO-led activity Neptune Strike 2022 from the SIXTHFLT flagship USS Mount Whitney (LCC 20), Jan. 24.
- NATO Secretary General takes part in meeting with US President Biden NATO 24 Jan 2022 -- NATO Secretary General Jens Stoltenberg took part in a virtual meeting organised by the President of the United States Joe Biden on Russia's continued military build-up in and around Ukraine and its implications for European and international security.
- Secretary General discusses Russian military build-up, NATO's Open Door policy with Finland and Sweden NATO 24 Jan 2022 -- Secretary General Jens Stoltenberg welcomed the close partnership of Finland and Sweden with NATO on Monday (24 January 2022). He met with Foreign Minister Pekka Haavisto of Finland and Foreign Minister Ann Linde of Sweden at NATO Headquarters to discuss the current security situation, including Russia's continued military build-up in and around Ukraine.
- NATO Allies send more ships, jets to enhance deterrence and defence in eastern Europe NATO 24 Jan 2022 -- NATO Allies are putting forces on standby and sending additional ships and fighter jets to NATO deployments in eastern Europe, reinforcing Allied deterrence and defence as Russia continues its military build-up in and around Ukraine.
- US carrier strike group comes under NATO command in the Mediterranean NATO 24 Jan 2022 -- Today (24 January 2022), Allied ships from the NATO Naval Striking and Support Forces Command and the U.S. Sixth Fleet initiated a series of patrolling activities across the Mediterranean Sea, within the framework of "Neptune Strike 2022."
- NATO Kicks Off Vigilance Activity Neptune Strike 2022 NATO 24 Jan 2022 -- Naval Striking and Support Forces NATO (STRIKFORNATO) and U.S. Sixth Fleet (SIXTHFLT) commenced NATO-led activity Neptune Strike 2022 from the SIXTHFLT flagship USS Mount Whitney (LCC 20), Jan. 24. The activity is planned to run until 4 Feb.
- Stoltenberg: NATO Seeks to Boost Its Eatsern Flank, Enhance Ties With Sweden and Finland Sputnik 24 Jan 2022 -- The Pentagon earlier reportedly proposed that US President Joe Biden deploy up to 5,000 additional troops to Eastern Europe. The proposed deployment did not affect Ukraine, which Washington claims is facing the threat of a Russian "invasion". Moscow has repeatedly rejected these allegations.
- US, European Leaders Align Against Russian Invasion Threat VOA 24 Jan 2022 -- U.S. President Joe Biden met virtually Monday afternoon with key European leaders about the ongoing threat of a Russian invasion of Ukraine as he weighs sending several thousand U.S. troops to the Baltics and Eastern Europe.
- Biden Administration Considers Technology Sanctions if Russia Invades Ukraine VOA 24 Jan 2022 -- In the months since Russia began massing troops on the border of Ukraine, the Biden administration has, on multiple occasions, warned that any further aggression by Moscow toward its neighbor would be met with unprecedented levels of sanctions. Now, the White House appears to be dropping some specific hints about what those sanctions might look like.
- NATO Countries Send Ships, Jets to Eastern Europe as Ukraine Tensions Mount VOA 24 Jan 2022 -- The North Atlantic Treaty Organization said Monday its members are sending more ships and fighter jets to eastern Europe in response to Russia's military buildup along its border with Ukraine.
- NATO puts forces on standby, ramps up deployment amid Ukraine tensions Press TV 24 Jan 2022 -- US-led NATO member countries are putting their forces on standby and reinforcing the deployment of weaponry in eastern Europe amid escalating tensions between Russia and the US over Ukraine.
- Biden Says U.S., European Allies In 'Total' Agreement On Approach To Ukraine Crisis RFE/RL 24 Jan 2022 -- The United States and its European allies are in total agreement on dealing with Russia's military threat on the borders of Ukraine, U.S. President Joe Biden said on January 24 after a call with European allies.
- Latvia's Defense Minister Defends Military Aid To Kyiv, Says West Not A Threat To Russia RFE/RL 24 Jan 2022 -- Latvia's defense minister says no country in the West wants a conflict with Russia, but that Ukraine has a right to defend itself as fellow NATO Baltic states send assistance to Kyiv.
- Pentagon: No Final Decision to Deploy US Troops to Ukraine But 8,500 Soldiers on 'Heightened Alert' Sputnik 24 Jan 2022 -- The United States has increased the number of troops on a "heightened preparedness to deploy" to Ukraine should the situation warrant it, Pentagon Press Secretary John Kirby has revealed.
- Deputy Secretary Sherman's Call with OSCE Secretary General Helga Schmid US Dept. of State 24 Jan 2022
- Secretary Blinken's Participation in the EU Foreign Affairs Council US Dept. of State 24 Jan 2022
- Readout of President Biden's Video Call with European Leaders on Russia and Ukraine The White House 24 Jan 2022
- UK Has Begun Staff Withdrawal From Its Embassy in Ukraine Sputnik 24 Jan 2022 -- The tensions around Ukraine have flared up over the past several days, with the US Department of State ordering the evacuation of American diplomats' families from the country.
- U.S., U.K. Reducing Embassy Staff In Kyiv As NATO Sends More Forces To Eastern Flank RFE/RL 24 Jan 2022 -- Britain and the United States have announced the departure of some embassy staff and dependents from Ukraine in a move that Kyiv has called "premature" following several rounds of inconclusive diplomatic talks between Washington and Moscow prompted by Russia's build up of tens of thousands of troops near the border with its western neighbor.
- UK's Johnson Warns Moscow Ukraine May Become 'New Chechnya' If Invaded Sputnik 24 Jan 2022 -- UK Prime Minister Boris Johnson warned on Monday that a purported Russian invasion of Ukraine would be "disastrous" and a "painful, violent and bloody business" that may become "a new Chechnya" for Moscow.
- German Foreign Minister Baerbock Draws Line Between Ukraine and NATO Amid Tensions With Russia Sputnik 24 Jan 2022 -- German Foreign Minister Annalena Baerbock dodged a question on Monday about whether Germany, a NATO member, would send troops to eastern Europe to help the alliance scale up presence in response to perceived Russian aggression, saying Ukraine and NATO should be viewed separately.
- Kremlin: Ukraine Amassing Troops on Contact Line in Donbass in Apparent Preparation for Attack Sputnik 24 Jan 2022 -- Tensions around Ukraine are on the rise as NATO puts its troops on standby amid Western media claims about Russia's alleged military buildup near its borders and preparations for "an invasion". Moscow denies the allegations, pointing to its sovereign right to deploy forces within its own territory and NATO's ongoing eastward expansion.
- Chinese FM debunks US media report claiming Beijing requested Moscow not to invade Ukraine during Winter Olympics Global Times 24 Jan 2022 -- Chinese Foreign Ministry on Monday refuted a Bloomberg report which claimed that the Chinese leader allegedly asked Russian President Vladimir Putin not to invade Ukraine during the Beijing 2022 Winter Olympic Games. The ministry said that the news is fake, noting it's not only a slander and provocation to China-Russia relations but also interference with and sabotage against the Olympics.
- US media smearing China-Russia ties on Ukraine issue: foreign ministry Global Times 24 Jan 2022 -- With the US and UK ordering families of embassy employees in Kiev to depart Ukraine and authorizing non-emergency personnel to leave on Sunday, fears of war are mounting over Russia's alleged "impending invasion" of Ukraine.
- Kremlin: West ups tensions with 'hysteria', risk of conflict in eastern Ukraine 'very high' Press TV 24 Jan 2022 -- The Kremlin says the United States and its allies are escalating tensions through "information hysteria" and announcing plans to boost NATO troops in Eastern Europe, warning that the risk of an offensive by Ukrainian troops against pro-Russia forces in the country's volatile east is "very high."
- Ukraine Pays Debts To Tycoon's Company In Possible Sign Of Truce With Zelenskiy RFE/RL 24 Jan 2022 -- Ukraine has repaid more than $100 million in debt to a company owned by Rinat Akhmetov, the nation's richest man, in a possible sign that tensions between the tycoon and the president are easing.
- US threatens sweeping export controls against Russian industries Press TV 24 Jan 2022 -- The United States is threatening to use sweeping export controls against key industries in Russia if it invades Ukraine, according to a senior administration official.
- Russian Markets Plunge as War Fears Mount VOA 24 Jan 2022 -- The Russian stock market took a dive Monday as war fears triggered a massive sell-off, with tens of billions of dollars wiped from the value of some of the country's leading businesses.
- Germany Seen as Western Alliance's Weak Link VOA 24 Jan 2022 -- Germany doesn't appear to view Russian military threats against Ukraine with the same sense of urgency as the United States and some of its European allies, who have started to identify Berlin as a weak link in the Western alliance, say diplomats and analysts.
Join the GlobalSecurity.org mailing list