Weapons of Mass Destruction (WMD)
21 January 2022 - Ukraine Special Weapons News
- Little Progress Apparent in Ukraine Standoff, but Talks to Continue VOA 21 Jan 2022 -- The United States and Russia appeared to make little progress in the increasingly high-stakes standoff over Ukraine, each side leaving the latest round of high-level talks Friday promising only to keep talking.
- Blinken Pledges 'Swift Response' to Any Russian Aggression in Ukraine, Leaves Diplomatic Channels Open VOA 21 Jan 2022 -- U.S. Secretary of State Antony Blinken reiterated after meeting Friday with Russian Foreign Minister Sergey Lavrov in Geneva that the United States and its allies are ready to respond to a Russian invasion of neighboring Ukraine.
- U.S., Russia Say Talks On Ukraine Crisis Useful Despite Lack Of Progress RFE/RL 21 Jan 2022 -- No breakthrough has emerged after a new round of talks between the United States and Russia on tensions over Ukraine, though the January 21 meeting helped clear a path to understanding each other's positions amid fears Moscow will invade its neighbor despite Western warnings of severe consequences.
- Blinken threatens Russia with 'swift, severe' response Press TV 21 Jan 2022 -- After the American-Russian talks in Geneva, Switzerland, US Secretary of State Antony Blinken has threatened Russia with a "swift, severe" response if Russia invades neighboring Ukraine, despite Moscow's repeated denials.
- Baltic States To Send Weapons To Ukraine In Face Of Possible Russian Invasion RFE/RL 21 Jan 2022 -- Estonia, Latvia, and Lithuania have announced they will provide anti-armor and antiaircraft missiles to Ukraine to help the country in the event of a possible Russian invasion.
- UK Dispatches 30 Elite Troops to Ukraine Amid Escalation Fears, Reports Suggest Sputnik 21 Jan 2022 -- The United Kingdom has sent a group of around 30 elite troops to Ukraine to train the country's armed forces on anti-tank weapons transferred to Kiev by London amid concerns about the escalation of the Ukrainian crisis, Sky News reported.
- The Digital Sleuths Exposing Russia's Military Buildup Near Ukraine RFE/RL 21 Jan 2022 -- As Russia has moved tens of thousands of troops toward its border with Ukraine in recent months, hinted of an armed response if NATO does not acquiesce to its demands, and announced large military exercises in Belarus, the sheer scale of its mobilization has been hard for Moscow to downplay or deny.
- Secretary Blinken's Call with Ukrainian Foreign Minister Kuleba US Dept. of State 21 Jan 2022
- READOUT: Deputy Secretary of the Treasury Wally Adeyemo's Call with Ukraine Minister of Finance Serhiy Marchenko US Treasury 21 Jan 2022
- Russia says US vowed to provide response to demands of security guarantees 'next week' Press TV 21 Jan 2022 -- Russia says the United States has promised to provide the Kremlin with a written response to its security demands, after "frank" talks between Foreign Minister Sergey Lavrov and US Secretary of State Antony Blinken in Geneva, Switzerland.
- Foreign Minister Sergey Lavrov's opening remarks during talks with US Secretary of State Antony Blinken, Geneva, January 21, 2022 Russia Ministry of Foreign Affairs 21 Jan 2022
- Secretary Antony J. Blinken And Russian Foreign Minister Sergey Lavrov Before Their Meeting US Dept. of State 21 Jan 2022
- Lavrov-Blinken Talks Wrap Up With Two Sides 'on Clear Path to Understanding' Sputnik 21 Jan 2022 -- A new round of negotiations between top Russian and American officials will take place after Washington provides a written response to Moscow's security proposals.
Join the GlobalSecurity.org mailing list