Weapons of Mass Destruction (WMD)
18 January 2022 - Ukraine Special Weapons News
- UK supplying Ukraine with anti-tank weapons, US to provide 'lethal arms' Press TV 18 Jan 2022 -- The UK has started supplying Ukraine with anti-tank weapons under the disguise of helping the East European country to defend itself from a potential Russian invasion, a top British official has said.
- Kremlin 'Concerned' by 'Extremely Dangerous' Prospect of Delivery of Stingers to Ukraine Sputnik 18 Jan 2022 -- British defence chief Ben Wallace announced Monday that London is supplying Kiev with weapons for "self-defence" and small numbers of trainers to teach the Ukrainian army how to use them. US officials and lawmakers, meanwhile, have warned that they would back a Ukrainian "insurgency" with anti-armour and anti-air weapons if Russia invaded.
- US Will Provide Ukraine With Even More 'Defensive Material' if Situation Escalates, State Dept Says Sputnik 18 Jan 2022 -- Earlier Tuesday, Moscow expressed serious concerns over the "extremely dangerous" statements by officials in the United States and Britain about upping weapons deliveries to the UK to include shoulder-launched anti-aircraft missile systems. Doing so would only increase, not reduce tensions, according to the Kremlin.
- NATO Secretary General, German Chancellor discuss Russia's military build-up NATO 18 Jan 2022 -- NATO Secretary General Jens Stoltenberg thanked German chancellor Olaf Scholz for his strong personal commitment to NATO and Germany's leading role in the Alliance during a visit to Berlin on Tuesday (18 January 2022).
- US says Russia could invade Ukraine 'at any point' Press TV 18 Jan 2022 -- The White House says it believes that Russia could invade its neighboring country "at any point," despite Moscow's repeated denials
- CIA chief secretly visited Ukraine amid rising tensions with Russia: Report Press TV 18 Jan 2022 -- Director of the US Central Intelligence Agency (CIA) William Burns paid a secret visit to Kiev last week, discussing the escalation of tensions with Russia over Ukraine.
- Blinken, Lavrov to Meet in Geneva Friday to Continue Diplomacy Over Ukraine VOA 18 Jan 2022 -- U.S. Secretary of State Antony Blinken will urge Russia to "take immediate steps to de-escalate" tensions along its border with Ukraine in a meeting with Russian Foreign Minister Sergey Lavrov in Geneva Friday.
- Blinken Heads To Kyiv, Berlin As U.S. Official Warns Russia Could Attack Ukraine 'At Any Point' RFE/RL 18 Jan 2022 -- Russia could launch an attack on Ukraine "at any point," the White House warned, as Secretary of State Antony Blinken headed to Kyiv and Berlin for urgent talks aimed at heading off a possible new war in Ukraine.
- A Senior State Department Official on the Secretary's Upcoming Travel to Ukraine and Germany US Dept. of State 18 Jan 2022
- Germany Prepared to Pay 'High Economic Price' to Defend Ukraine VOA 18 Jan 2022 -- Germany has said it is prepared to pay "a high economic price" to defend its values, as NATO members engage in another week of intense diplomacy amid a Russian troop buildup close to the Ukrainian border.
- State Dept Claims Belarus Could Play Role in Russia's Alleged Plans to Invade Ukraine Sputnik 18 Jan 2022 -- Belarus could play a role in the Russian plans to invade Ukraine amid rising tensions between Moscow and Kiev, a senior US State Department official said.
- Ex-Ukrainian Leader Poroshenko Returns to Face Treason Charges VOA 18 Jan 2022 -- Former Ukrainian President Petro Poroshenko is due back in a Kyiv court Wednesday as a judge considers whether to grant him bail or order his arrest in a treason case he says is politically motivated.
- Senior State Department Official On Belarus US Dept. of State 18 Jan 2022
Join the GlobalSecurity.org mailing list