Weapons of Mass Destruction (WMD)
07 January 2022 - Ukraine Special Weapons News
- Stoltenberg: NATO Won't Compromise on Principle of Accepting Any Country Into Bloc Sputnik 07 Jan 2022 -- On 12 January, Russia and NATO will hold the first extensive security talks since Moscow was forced to withdraw envoys to the alliance in October 2021. The security meeting was prompted by the escalation around Ukraine and the Kremlin's vocal concerns that the country might join NATO, leading to alliance troops being deployed at Russia's borders.
- US, NATO Warn Russia Against More 'Gaslighting' on Ukraine VOA 07 Jan 2022 -- The United States is accusing Russia of trying to "gaslight" the world regarding tensions with Ukraine, continually seeking to portray Kyiv as the aggressor even as Moscow plans to mobilize as many as 300,000 troops for a potential invasion.
- NATO Foreign Ministers address Russia's military build-up in and around Ukraine NATO 07 Jan 2022 -- NATO Foreign Ministers held an extraordinary virtual meeting on Friday (7 January 2022) to discuss Russia's continued military build-up in and around Ukraine, and the implications for European security.
- Blinken Blasts Kremlin For Instigating Crisis Over Ukraine But Says Diplomatic Solution 'Still Possible' RFE/RL 07 Jan 2022 -- U.S. Secretary of State Antony Blinken said a diplomatic solution to deter a Russian invasion of Ukraine is "still possible" but warned that the West is ready to "respond forcefully" if that fails.
- NATO Chief: No Compromise On Core Principles As Alliance Prepares For Talks With Russia RFE/RL 07 Jan 2022 -- NATO Secretary-General Jens Stoltenberg has pledged to engage "in good faith and on substance" in talks with Russia next week, but he said the alliance will not compromise on core principles, including the right of nations to decide whether they want to join.
- UK Foreign Secretary calls out unacceptable Russian behaviour at NATO talks UK FCDO 07 Jan 2022 -- Liz Truss made clear the UK's support for Ukraine and stressed NATO's important defensive role as she attended a virtual NATO Foreign Ministers' meeting.
- U.S., Allies Set For Talks With Russia As Threat Of New Ukraine Invasion Looms RFE/RL 07 Jan 2022 -- The United States and its European allies will hold a series of high-level talks next week with Moscow, addressing the Kremlin's demands for sweeping restrictions on NATO enlargement and operations as well as Western concerns about what U.S. intelligence says are Russian preparations for a possible new invasion of Ukraine.
- EU Leadership Says 'No Solution' To Russia-Ukraine Tensions 'Without Europe' RFE/RL 07 Jan 2022 -- The European Commission chief and the EU's new French leadership have stressed the need for European involvement as Russia and the West continue to square off diplomatically over the possible threat of escalated conflict in Ukraine.
- Secretary Blinken's Call with Ukrainian Foreign Minister Kuleba US Dept. of State 07 Jan 2022
- Deputy Secretary Sherman's Call with OSCE Secretary General Schmid US Dept. of State 07 Jan 2022
- Iran ready to talk with all countries involved in Ukrainian plane crash: FM statement IRNA 07 Jan 2022 -- Foreign Ministry in a statement stressed that Iran is still ready to negotiate bilaterally with any of the countries involved in the Ukrainian plane crash in good faith and by respecting their sovereignty and domestic laws and international obligations of governments.
- Iran remains ready for bilateral talks on 2020 Ukrainian plane incident: Foreign Ministry Press TV 07 Jan 2022 -- Iran says it remains ready to hold bilateral talks with each of the concerned parties over the accidental downing of a Ukrainian passenger plane near Tehran two years ago.
- Iran Offers 'Bilateral' Talks With States That Lost Nationals In Downing Of Ukrainian Airliner RFE/RL 07 Jan 2022 -- Iran said on January 7 that it is prepared to meet bilaterally with countries whose nationals died in Iran's accidental downing of a Ukrainian passenger jet two years ago, but it couched the offer in defiant terms that echoed days of denials after the tragedy played out in the skies over Tehran.
Join the GlobalSecurity.org mailing list