Weapons of Mass Destruction (WMD)
October 2021 - Ukraine Special Weapons News
- Ukraine Reports New Record Daily High Of Coronavirus Cases RFE/RL 29 Oct 2021 -- Ukraine has registered another daily record for new coronavirus infections as a wave of cases and deaths continues to sweep across Eastern Europe.
- Ukraine's Zelenskiy Defends Drone Strike On Russia-Backed Separatists RFE/RL 29 Oct 2021 -- Ukrainian President Volodymyr Zelenskiy has defended the use of a Turkish-supplied armed drone to strike Russia-backed separatists in eastern Ukraine, saying the military acted in self-defense and did not violate any agreements.
- Eastern Europe Wrestles With Virus Spike As Russia, Ukraine Report Record Deaths, Infections RFE/RL 28 Oct 2021 -- Coronvirus cases and deaths continue to spike across Eastern Europe where authorities have blamed the situation in large part on slow vaccination rates.
- Russia Extends Detention Of Crimean Tatar Leader Another 2 1/2 Months RFE/RL 28 Oct 2021 -- A court in Russia-annexed Crimea has extended the detention of Crimean Tatar leader Nariman Dzhelyal until January 23, his lawyer Mykola Polozova said.
- Report by OSCE's Project Co-ordinator in Ukraine: UK response UK FCDO 28 Oct 2021 -- UK Ambassador Bush thanks Ambassador Villadsen for PCU's work on mitigating the impacts of the conflict, dialogue promotion and rule of law and human rights.
- UK on closure of the OSCE Border Observer Mission UK FCDO 28 Oct 2021 -- Ambassador Bush thanks Ambassador Varga for the valuable reporting of OSCE's Border Observer Mission at 2 checkpoints along the Ukrainian-Russian state border.
- Russia Warns Turkey After Ukraine Drone Strike VOA 28 Oct 2021 -- Russia is warning Turkey over arms sales to Ukraine after a Turkish-made drone attacked Russian-backed rebels in Ukraine.
- Joint Statement on Media Freedom Coalition on Media Freedom in Russia US Dept. of State 28 Oct 2021 -- The following is the text of a joint statement signed by the governments of Australia, Canada, Czech Republic, Denmark, France, Germany, Greece, Iceland, Latvia, Lithuania, Netherlands, New Zealand, North Macedonia, Slovakia, Slovenia, Ukraine, United Kingdom, and United States of America.
- Ukraine Uses Turkish Drone Against Russia-Backed Separatists For First Time RFE/RL 27 Oct 2021 -- Ukrainian government forces have used a Turkish-supplied armed drone for the first time against Russia-backed separatists in eastern Ukraine, in a development condemned by the Kremlin.
- Ukraine Launches Terror-Financing Probe Into Bank Loan After RFE/RL Report RFE/RL 27 Oct 2021 -- Ukrainian prosecutors have opened a terrorism financing investigation after it emerged that the country's state-owned export-import bank lent tens of millions of dollars to companies owned by a businessman with interests in parts of eastern Ukraine controlled by Moscow-backed separatists.
- Russia, Ukraine Report New Record Daily Numbers Of COVID-Related Deaths RFE/RL 26 Oct 2021 -- Russia and Ukraine reported record-high coronavirus-related deaths on October 26 amid a surge in infections.
- EU Disburses 600 Million Euros In Assistance To Ukraine RFE/RL 25 Oct 2021 -- The European Union has disbursed 600 million euros ($696 million) in macro-financial assistance to Ukraine as part of a program to limit the economic fallout of the COVID-19 pandemic.
- Moscow Says It Can't Prevent Ukraine From Joining NATO But Can Minimise Its Consequences Sputnik 24 Oct 2021 -- Russia cannot prevent Ukraine from joining NATO, but it is possible to minimise the consequences of such steps, Kremlin spokesman Dmitry Peskov said on Sunday.
- Ukraine accuses Russia of 'gas aggression', calls for EU action Press TV 23 Oct 2021 -- Ukrainian President Volodymyr Zelensky has accused Moscow of orchestrating an energy crisis in Europe by raising gas prices, calling on Brussels to work with Kiev against what he characterized as Russian "gas aggression."
- US to Send Three Island-Class Patrol Boats to Ukraine in November - Ambassador Sputnik 22 Oct 2021 -- The US will send to Ukraine three Island-class patrol boats in November, Ukrainian Ambassador to Washington Oksana Markarova said on Friday.
- Putin: Ukraine's Western-Backed Military Development A Threat To Russia RFE/RL 22 Oct 2021 -- Russian President Vladimir Putin has said that Ukraine's military development with Western support represents a genuine threat to Moscow.
- UK Defen—Āe Ministry Confirms Information About Missiles' Deal With Ukraine Sputnik 21 Oct 2021 -- The UK Ministry of Defen—Āe on Thursday confirmed information about a deal to deliver missiles to Ukraine, adding that it was made public in June.
- UK in talks to sell missiles to Ukraine in first arms deal: Report Press TV 21 Oct 2021 -- The United Kingdom is in talks with Ukraine to provide it with missiles for the first time under an arms deal, a report says.
- Moscow to React to Ukraine's Possible NATO Entry, Sees It as Dangerous Step, Deputy FM Says Sputnik 21 Oct 2021 -- Ukraine's possible NATO entry would be an extremely dangerous step, which would force Moscow to react, the alliance was warned about the possible consequences, Russian Deputy Foreign Minister Andrey Rudenko said on Thursday.
- Russia warns against Ukraine's accession to NATO Press TV 21 Oct 2021 -- Russia has warned that any move towards the accession of Ukraine to the NATO would have consequences as it test-fired a submarine-launched Bulava ballistic missile.
- Russia, Ukraine, Romania Post Record Daily COVID-19 Death Tolls As Delta Variant Wreaks Havoc RFE/RL 19 Oct 2021 -- Russia, Ukraine, and Romania have reported their highest daily COVID-19 death tolls during the coronavirus pandemic as the Delta variant wreaks havoc.
- Austin Works With Allies, Partners to Deter Russian Malign Activities DoD News 19 Oct 2021 -- In 2014, Russia occupied and illegally annexed Crimea from Ukraine and then fomented a war in Eastern Ukraine that has so far killed 14,000 Ukrainians.
- Pentagon Chief: No Country Has 'Veto' on Ukraine's NATO Aspirations VOA 19 Oct 2021 -- U.S. Defense Secretary Lloyd Austin says no third country has a veto on Ukraine's aspirations to join the NATO military alliance.
- U.S., Ukraine Aim to Implement Strategic Defense Framework DoD News 19 Oct 2021 -- Secretary of Defense Lloyd J. Austin III met with Ukrainian leaders in the capital city of Kyiv to strengthen ties between the nations and look for ways to implement the Strategic Defense Framework that was signed at the end of August.
- Secretary of Defense Lloyd J. Austin III's Remarks at Ukraine Ministry of Defense Post-Bilat Joint Press Event DoD 19 Oct 2021
- Secretary of Defense Lloyd J. Austin III's Visit to Ukraine DoD 19 Oct 2021
- Visiting Pentagon Chief Says U.S. Will Continue To Support Ukraine Against Russian 'Aggression' RFE/RL 19 Oct 2021 -- U.S. Defense Secretary Lloyd Austin has reiterated Washington's "unwavering" support for Ukraine's territorial integrity during a visit to Kyiv as Russia continues to be an "obstacle" to the peaceful resolution of the deadly conflict in eastern Ukraine.
- Ukrainian Lawmakers Approve Bill To Strengthen National Anti-Corruption Bureau's Independence RFE/RL 19 Oct 2021 -- Ukrainian lawmakers have approved a bill to strengthen the independence of the National Anti-Corruption Bureau (NABU), a move that will move it toward securing more loans from the International Monetary Fund (IMF) under a $5 billion loan deal.
- OSCE Says Separatists In Eastern Ukraine Preventing Monitors From Leaving Base RFE/RL 18 Oct 2021 -- The Organization for Security and Cooperation in Europe (OSCE) says a group of its monitors overseeing a fragile cease-fire in eastern Ukraine have been barred from leaving their base by Kremlin-backed separatists who are seeking the release of an officer held by Ukrainian government forces.
- In Security Debacle, Ukraine Says It Mistakenly Sanctioned More Than 100 People RFE/RL 17 Oct 2021 -- Ukraine said it mistakenly sanctioned more than 100 people earlier this year on suspicion of being crime bosses in a debacle for its security services.
- Coronavirus response: NATO support to Ukraine NATO 14 Oct 2021 -- On Wednesday (13 October 2021), Ukraine received new medical equipment from NATO's Pandemic Response Trust Fund to help in the country's efforts to fight coronavirus infections. NATO's Euro-Atlantic Disaster Response Coordination Centre coordinated the donation in response to a request by Ukraine for COVID-19 assistance.
- Ukraine Ready for Normandy Format Talks, 'Waiting for Signal' From Russia, Foreign Minister Says Sputnik 13 Oct 2021 -- Ukrainian Foreign Minister Dmytro Kuleba said Wednesday he is ready for a Normandy-format meeting and expects that Russia will confirm its participation.
- EU Officials Pledge to Support Ukraine's National Energy Security VOA 12 Oct 2021 -- European Union leaders met Tuesday with Ukrainian President Volodymyr Zelenskiy in Ukraine's capital, Kyiv, pledging to strengthen ties and support the eastern European nation, particularly on the issue of Russia and energy security.
- EU Leaders Pledge Support For Ukraine, Help In Ensuring Reliable Gas Supplies RFE/RL 12 Oct 2021 -- Top European Union officials have pledged deeper support for Ukraine and say the bloc is trying to ensure that Ukraine's natural-gas supplies go uninterrupted this winter, amid concerns about the reliability of Russian supplies.
- Kremlin-Allied Ukrainian Lawmaker Medvedchuk To Remain Under House Arrest RFE/RL 12 Oct 2021 -- A Ukrainian court on October 12 ordered pro-Russian lawmaker Viktor Medvedchuk to remain under house arrest until December after prosecutors broadened their criminal investigation into his activities.
- Ukraine, Russia Return To Arbitration Court Over Black Sea Ship Seizures RFE/RL 11 Oct 2021 -- Oral arguments begin in the international Permanent Court of Arbitration in The Hague on October 11 in the latest round of a long-running dispute over Russia's seizure of three Ukrainian Navy vessels in the Kerch Strait in 2018.
- Berlin Says Leaders Of Germany, France, Ukraine, Russia Agree To Ministerial-Level Meeting RFE/RL 11 Oct 2021 -- Germany says Chancellor Angela Merkel and French President Emmanuel Macron have discussed the ongoing conflict in eastern Ukraine with the presidents of Ukraine and Russia, and agreed their foreign ministers should meet.
- EU Adds Eight People To Sanctions List Over Russian Actions In Crimea RFE/RL 11 Oct 2021 -- The European Council has announced sanctions against eight individuals who are "responsible for enforcing Russian law" in occupied Crimea in a move that comes as senior EU officials travel to Kyiv for a major EU-Ukraine summit.
- Ahead Of EU-Ukraine Summit, Borrell Signals 'Progress' Alongside Push For Further Reforms RFE/RL 11 Oct 2021 -- EU foreign-policy chief Josep Borrell says senior EU officials will use an EU-Ukraine summit to underline the bloc's support for reforms and reiterate "full support" for Ukraine's territorial integrity, as Brussels commits to a multibillion-euro investment package and an aviation agreement.
- U.S., EU 'Very Disappointed' As Ukraine Delays Appointing Anti-Corruption Head RFE/RL 09 Oct 2021 -- The United States and the European Union have expressed frustration with Ukraine as the nation continues to drag its feet on electing the chief of a unit responsible for prosecuting corrupt officials.
- Ukrainian Prosecutors Widen Investigation Of Kremlin-Allied Lawmaker Medvedchuk RFE/RL 09 Oct 2021 -- Ukrainian prosecutors said they had broadened a criminal investigation into pro-Russian lawmaker Viktor Medvedchuk, accusing him of colluding to finance separatist forces in the eastern Donbas region.
- Stefanchuk Of Ukraine's Ruling Party Becomes New Parliament Speaker RFE/RL 08 Oct 2021 -- Ukraine's parliament has voted to appoint Ruslan Stefanchuk, a lawmaker from the ruling Servant of the People party, as the new speaker.
- Ukrainian State Bank Loaned $60 Million To Businessman With Assets In Donbas Conflict Zone RFE/RL 08 Oct 2021 -- Ukraine's state-owned export-import bank lent $60 million to companies owned by a businessman with interests in parts of eastern Ukraine controlled by Moscow-backed separatists, a new investigation has found.
- Ukrainian Lawmaker, 33, Found Dead In Back Seat Of Taxi In Kyiv RFE/RL 08 Oct 2021 -- A Ukrainian lawmaker who was previously involved in a push to oust the country's prosecutor-general died while riding in a taxi in the capital, Kyiv.
- Ukrainian Lawmakers Vote To Remove Parliament Speaker Razumkov RFE/RL 07 Oct 2021 -- Ukrainian lawmakers have voted to remove parliament speaker Dmytro Razumkov, amid differences between him and the ruling Servant of the People party.
- Kyiv Urged To Evacuate Ukrainian Passport-Holders When Kabul Flights Resume RFE/RL Gandhara 06 Oct 2021 -- Human Rights Watch (HRW) is calling on Ukraine's government to evacuate Ukrainian passport-holders from Afghanistan as soon as flights from Kabul resume.
- UN Human Rights Council 48: UK statement for the interactive dialogue with the the High Commissioner on the human rights situation in Ukraine UK FCDO 05 Oct 2021 -- UK International Ambassador for Human Rights Rita French gave a statement outlining the UK's concerns about the welfare of at least 118 Ukrainian political prisoners currently held by Russia.
- Report: EU Mulls Ukrainian Military Training Mission RFE/RL 03 Oct 2021 -- The European Union is considering a training mission for Ukrainian officers due to the "ongoing military activities" of Russia, according to an internal EU document.
- Ukraine Charges Former Official In Presidential Office With Spying RFE/RL 02 Oct 2021 -- A former official in the Ukrainian president's office has been accused of treason for allegedly passing on secret information to a foreign country, Ukraine's security agency said.
- Ukraine Says Russia Halts Gas Flows To Hungary, Adding To Jitters In European Gas Markets RFE/RL 01 Oct 2021 -- Ukraine said that Gazprom had suspended the transit of natural gas to Hungary, days after the Russian state-controlled gas giant signed a long-term contract with Budapest.
Join the GlobalSecurity.org mailing list