Weapons of Mass Destruction (WMD)
August 2021 - Ukraine Special Weapons News
- Secretary of Defense Lloyd J. Austin III and Ukraine President Volodymyr Zelenskyy Opening Remarks at Pentagon Meeting DoD 31 Aug 2021
- U.S., Ukraine Leaders Discuss Strategic Partnership During Pentagon Meeting DoD News 31 Aug 2021 -- The United States will continue to urge Russia to end its illegal occupation of Ukraine's Crimea and looks to strengthen bonds between the United States and Ukraine, Secretary of Defense Lloyd J. Austin III told Ukraine's President Volodymyr Zelenskyy and Defense Minister Andrii Taranto at the Pentagon today.
- U.S. Announces Fresh Military Aid To Ukraine As Zelenskiy Visits Washington RFE/RL 31 Aug 2021 -- Washington is promising Kyiv up to $60 million in military aid ahead of scheduled talks at the White House between U.S. President Joe Biden and his visiting Ukrainian counterpart, Volodymyr Zelenskiy.
- Ukraine, US Leaders May Address Sensitive Issues at Next Meeting VOA 30 Aug 2021 -- Ukrainian President Volodymyr Zelenskiy is scheduled to visit the White House on Wednesday, a trip that has been in the works for two years and delayed one day by events in Afghanistan.
- As Washington Summit Nears, Disappointment Looms Over Ukraine-U.S. Relations RFE/RL 29 Aug 2021 -- Shortly after Joe Biden won the U.S. presidential election last November, Ukrainian President Volodymyr Zelenskiy expressed optimism the incoming occupant of the White House would be a better fit for his country than his predecessor.
- Kabul attack: Foreign Secretary's statement following his call with US Secretary of State UK FCDO 26 Aug 2021 -- Foreign Secretary Dominic Raab gave a statement following his call with US Secretary of State Antony Blinken after the attack in Kabul on 26 August 2021.
- Russia Launches Probe Into 'Ecocide' Over Ukraine's Suspension Of Water Deliveries To Annexed Crimea RFE/RL 25 Aug 2021 -- Russia has launched a probe into what it called "ecocide" over Ukraine's decision to suspend water deliveries to Russia-annexed Crimea.
- NATO Deputy Secretary General: Crimea is Ukraine NATO 24 Aug 2021 -- NATO Deputy Secretary General Mircea Geoana arrived in Kyiv, Ukraine on Monday (23 August 2021) to participate in the inaugural Crimean Platform Summit.
- Comment by Foreign Ministry Spokeswoman Maria Zakharova on the meeting of the so-called Crimea Platform in Kiev Russia Ministry of Foreign Affairs 24 Aug 2021
- Russia Accuses Ukrainian Of Espionage RFE/RL 23 Aug 2021 -- Russian authorities have detained a Ukrainian citizen on suspicion of espionage in the city of Tula, some 200 kilometers south of Moscow.
- Zelenskiy Looks To International Forum To Return Russia-Annexed Crimea RFE/RL 23 Aug 2021 -- Ukrainian President Volodymyr Zelenskiy has vowed to do "everything possible" to return Russia-annexed Crimea to Ukraine as an international forum on the issue looked to rally international support.
- Ukraine Opens International Summit on Crimea VOA 23 Aug 2021 -- Ukrainian President Volodymyr Zelenskiy opened the Crimean Platform summit in Kyiv Monday to build pressure on Russia over its annexation of the Crimea territory, which is viewed as illegal by most of the world.
- Ukraine Evacuates Dozens Of Activists, Afghan Women, Journalists From Kabul RFE/RL Gandhara 22 Aug 2021 -- A Ukrainian military plane carrying 83 people, including journalists, activists, and Afghan women and children, arrived in Kyiv, as part of the massive evacuation of foreigners and endangered Afghans from Kabul.
- In Fertile Ukraine, A 20-Year Freeze On The Sale Of Farmland Is Lifted - With Uncertain Consequences RFE/RL 22 Aug 2021 -- For small farmers in Ukraine, a traditional "breadbasket" that boasts some of the world's richest soil, there's something new under the sun this summer: They can sell their land if they want to.
- Merkel Says In Kyiv That Natural Gas Should Not Be 'Geopolitical Weapon' RFE/RL 22 Aug 2021 -- German Chancellor Angela Merkel has said natural gas should never be used as a geopolitical weapon and backed extending an energy partnership deal with Ukraine once it expires in 2024.
- Thirty Years After Independence From Moscow, Ukraine Struggles To Throw Off Oligarch Yoke RFE/RL 21 Aug 2021 -- When Ukraine's Constitutional Court dismantled much of the nation's anti-corruption legislation in October 2020, dealing a blow to Kyiv's reform agenda and its reputation abroad, many observers discerned what they believe was the influence of powerful local magnates.
- Ukrainian Leader Tries To Put Spotlight Back On Russian-Occupied Crimea RFE/RL 19 Aug 2021 -- President Volodymyr Zelenskiy has lamented that the crisis in Crimea has fallen from global attention, and he pledged to "raise from the knees" the fate of the Black Sea peninsula annexed by Russia seven years ago.
- Right-Wing Protesters Clash With Police Outside Ukrainian President's Office RFE/RL 14 Aug 2021 -- Protesters led by members of a prominent right-wing Ukrainian political group clashed with riot police near the offices of President Volodymyr Zelenskiy, injuring at least eight police officers.
- Ukraine asks for US missile systems, troops; Russia warns of retaliation Press TV 11 Aug 2021 -- Ukraine has called on the United States to send troops and anti-missile systems to the country, in a controversial move that has prompted Russia to warn of retaliation.
- Kiev's Statements on Deploying US Air Defence Systems in Ukraine Provocative, Moscow Says Sputnik 11 Aug 2021 -- Kiev's statements about the possibility of deploying US air defence systems in Ukraine are provocative and do not meet the interests of its people, Russian Foreign Ministry spokeswoman Maria Zakharova said on Wednesday.
- Zelenskiy Says Peace 'Depends On Putin,' Suggests Ukrainians Who Feel Russian 'Seek A Place In Russia' RFE/RL 06 Aug 2021 -- Ukrainian President Volodymyr Zelenskiy says he is doing "everything" he can to end the war with Russia-backed separatists but that peace and control of territory in the so-called Donbas depends "90 percent" on Russian President Vladimir Putin.
- Secretary Blinken's Meeting with Ukrainian Foreign Minister Kuleba and Head of the Presidential Office Yermak US Dept. of State 05 Aug 2021
- Secretary Antony J. Blinken And Ukrainian Foreign Minister Dmytro Kuleba Before Their Meeting US Dept. of State 05 Aug 2021
- Coronavirus response: NATO delivers disinfectant to Ukraine NATO 04 Aug 2021 -- Ukraine has received 30,000 litres of surface disinfectant liquid from NATO's Pandemic Response Stockpile, in order to help the country respond to coronavirus infections. NATO's Euro-Atlantic Disaster Response Coordination Centre and Latvia coordinated the donation, which arrived on Tuesday (3 August 2021), in response to a request by Ukraine for COVID-19 assistance. Latvia donated the surface disinfectant to the NATO stockpile and subsequently handed it over to the Ministry of Health, which transferred the donation to the Ukrainian Ministry of Defence.
- Statement by NSC Spokesperson Emily Horne on National Security Advisor Jake Sullivan's Meeting with Ukrainian Officials The White House 04 Aug 2021
Join the GlobalSecurity.org mailing list