Weapons of Mass Destruction (WMD)
December 2020 - Ukraine Special Weapons News
- Ukraine to buy 1.9 mln doses of SinoVac COVID-19 vaccine People's Daily 31 Dec 2020 -- Ukrainian President Volodymyr Zelensky informed about signing the contract of over 1.9 million doses of COVID-19 vaccine manufactured by China's SinoVac Biotech, while the state is working on obtaining more vaccines, reported the president's press service on Wednesday.
- Iran decides damages sum for victim families of Ukraine plane crash Press TV 30 Dec 2020 -- The Iranian government has decided the amount of compensation payable to families of victims of a Ukrainian plane crash days before the first anniversary of the incident that happened near Tehran in January this year at the height of military tensions between Iran and the United States.
- Iran allocates $150,000 each for victims of Ukraine crash incident IRNA 30 Dec 2020 -- Iranian cabinet members agreed in a session on Wednesday to allocate 150,000 dollars or its euro equal to each family of the victims of the Ukrainian plane crash in Jan, 2020.
- Iran Allocates $150,000 For Families Of Each Victim Of Ukrainian Plane Crash RFE/RL 30 Dec 2020 -- Iran says it has allocated $150,000 for the families of each of the 176 victims of a Ukrainian passenger plane that was downed in Iranian airspace nearly a year ago.
- Iran to Pay $150,000 to Each Family of Victims Killed in Downed Ukrainian Flight Sputnik 30 Dec 2020 -- Ukraine International Airlines Flight 752 was downed on January 8, 2020, by a pair of missiles deployed by the Iranian Islamic Revolutionary Guard Corps (IRGC) moments after the airliner took off from the Tehran Imam Khomeini International Airport. All 176 passengers and crew were killed. Iranian officials have blamed the downing on human error.
- For the first time since independence, the state orders three new Ukrainian An-178 aircraft from Antonov, which will be delivered to the army - Volodymyr Zelenskyy President of Ukraine 29 Dec 2020 -- With the participation of President of Ukraine Volodymyr Zelenskyy, a Memorandum was signed between the Ministry of Defense and the Antonov State Enterprise on cooperation in the construction of the aircraft for the needs of the Armed Forces of Ukraine.
- Ukraine plans to vaccinate 20 mln people in 2021-2022 People's Daily 23 Dec 2020 -- Ukraine's Ministry of Health has approved a plan for vaccinating the population against COVID-19, in which 50 percent of the population, or 20 million people, will receive the vaccination in 2021-2022, the press service of the Center for Public Health (CPH) reported on Tuesday.
- UN Report: Ukrainian Measures to Slow COVID-19 Are Inadequate VOA 19 Dec 2020 -- A report submitted to the U.N. Human Rights Council criticizes Ukraine's handling of the COVID-19 pandemic and warns that the Russian-backed conflict in eastern Ukraine threatens efforts to curb the pandemic.
- Chinese Investors File Arbitration Case Against Ukraine Over Motor Sich Investment RFE/RL 18 Dec 2020 -- Chinese investors have brought a $3.5 billion arbitration case against Ukraine for blocking the sale of a strategic aircraft engine maker whose fate Washington is closely following.
- Influential Eastern Ukrainian Mayor Dies In Germany After COVID Battle RFE/RL 17 Dec 2020 -- One of Ukraine's most influential and outspoken politicians, Hennadiy Kernes, the mayor of the eastern city of Kharkiv, has died of complications from COVID-19.
- Senate Sources Say Trump Pick For Ukraine Ambassador Unlikely To Get Vote RFE/RL 17 Dec 2020 -- The Senate has not yet scheduled a vote and is therefore unlikely to green-light the Trump administration's choice of a retired Army lieutenant general to be the next U.S. ambassador to Ukraine, according to Senate and other sources.
- Corvettes and combat drones - Ministry of Defence has concluded direct agreements with Turkish companies, - Andrii Taran Ukraine MOD 15 Dec 2020 -- Today, Minister of Defence of Ukraine Andrii Taran signed agreements with Turkish companies on technology transfer and production of corvettes and combat UAVs for the needs of the Armed Forces of Ukraine. The signing took place during the visit of the Turkish delegation headed by the President of the Defence Industries of the Republic of Turkey Ismail Demir.
- Ukraine Extends Donbas Special Status Law By One Year RFE/RL 15 Dec 2020 -- Ukrainian lawmakers have approved a bill extending the law on the special status of local self-governance in areas of eastern Ukraine until December 31, 2021.
- Ukrainian Lawmakers Restore Powers Of Anti-Corruption Agency RFE/RL 15 Dec 2020 -- The Ukrainian parliament has voted to restore the powers of the National Anti-Corruption Agency (NAZK) as Kyiv is seeking to secure new loans from the International Monetary Fund (IMF) to fight a sharp economic slump triggered by the coronavirus pandemic.
- Ukraine adds 12,811 COVID-19 cases People's Daily 14 Dec 2020 -- Ukraine on Saturday reported 12,811 newly confirmed COVID-19 cases, bringing the national total to 885,039, said the country's National Security and Defense Council.
- Ukraine To Get $300 Million Loan To Help Impoverished Families Amid Coronavirus Outbreak RFE/RL 12 Dec 2020 -- The World Bank has approved a new loan for Ukraine intended to help the country hit hard by the coronavirus outbreak provide support for low-income families.
- ICC Prosecutor Asks For Full Probe Into Possible War Crimes In Ukraine Conflict RFE/RL 12 Dec 2020 -- The International Criminal Court's (ICC) chief prosecutor has said that a preliminary probe found possible war crimes and crimes against humanity have been committed in Ukraine that warrant a full investigation by The Hague-based judges.
- Layoffs, Cryptocurrency, And Uncertainty At A Ukrainian Tycoon's Kentucky Factory RFE/RL 10 Dec 2020 -- When CC Metals & Alloys (CCMA) halted operations in July, some workers at the 70-year-old plant in western Kentucky expected to be back on the job by the New Year.
- UN General Assembly Passes Nonbinding Resolution Urging Russia To Withdraw From Crimea RFE/RL 08 Dec 2020 -- The UN General Assembly has adopted a resolution urging Russia to end its "temporary occupation" of Crimea and immediately stop transferring weapons to Ukraine.
- Ethnic Kazakh From Xinjiang Receives Asylum-Seeker Status In Ukraine RFE/RL 08 Dec 2020 -- A Chinese citizen of ethnic Kazakh origin from China's northwestern province of Xinjiang told RFE/RL that he has obtained asylum seeker status in Ukraine.
- Ukrainian National Gets 12 Years In Prison In Moscow On Espionage Charges RFE/RL 07 Dec 2020 -- A Ukrainian national and former professional soccer player has received 12 years in prison in Russia on espionage charges.
- Singing Off-Key? Kyiv, Budapest Clash Over Rights Of Ethnic Hungarians In Ukraine RFE/RL 04 Dec 2020 -- The inaugural council session in a sleepy village on the western fringes of Ukraine was winding down in late November when members broke out in song, including the national anthem of Hungary.
- Ukraine's Parliament Restores Anti-Corruption Legislation Annulled By Highest Court RFE/RL 04 Dec 2020 -- Ukraine's parliament voted on December 4 to reimpose penalties for officials who provide false information about their incomes, defying an earlier ruling from the nation's highest court.
- Joint Press Statement on Ukraine UK FCDO 02 Dec 2020 -- Joint Press Statement on Ukraine by the United Kingdom, United States and Estonian Missions to the UN
- NATO, Ukraine to strengthen security cooperation in Black Sea People's Daily 01 Dec 2020 -- North Atlantic Treaty Organization (NATO) Secretary-General Jens Stoltenberg said that the Black Sea region is of high importance to the Alliance, and they will cooperate with Ukraine to monitor the security situation, Ukrinform news agency reported on Monday.
Join the GlobalSecurity.org mailing list