Weapons of Mass Destruction (WMD)
August 2020 - Ukraine Special Weapons News
- Families of Malaysia Airlines MH17 Victims Want Damages, Lawyers Say VOA 31 Aug 2020 -- The families of the nearly 300 victims of a downed Malaysia Airlines passenger plane want reparations, their lawyers said Monday, more than six years after the plane was shot down over Ukraine.
- Pompeo Raises U.S. Concern About Chinese Investment In Ukraine In Call With Zelenskiy RFE/RL 30 Aug 2020 -- U.S. Secretary of State Mike Pompeo has spoken with Ukrainian President Volodymyr Zelenskiy about U.S. concerns over China's attempt to purchase a Ukrainian engine manufacturer, the State Department said on August 29.
- Ukraine Closes Border To Foreigners Amid Coronavirus Outbreak RFE/RL 28 Aug 2020 -- The Ukrainian government has tightened lockdown measures, including closing its borders to foreigners, in an effort to contain the country's coronavirus outbreak.
- Arson, Apparent Surveillance Send Chilling Message to Ukraine's Investigative Journalists VOA 27 Aug 2020 -- Grainy surveillance video shows a person walking toward a car belonging to Ukrainian investigative news team Schemes moments before the vehicle ignites.
- Russia arrests serviceman for passing state secrets to Ukraine Press TV 27 Aug 2020 -- The Russian Federal Security Service (FSB) has arrested a serviceman in the province of Siberia for passing state secrets to Ukraine.
- Russia Detains Soldier on Suspicion of Espionage for Ukraine in Siberia Sputnik 27 Aug 2020 -- A soldier in the Russian Strategic Missile Forces was detained in the Siberian city of Barnaul on suspicion of passing defence secrets to Ukraine, the Federal Security Service (FSB) said Thursday.
- Iran reveals details from crashed Ukrainian plane's black boxes analysis Global Times 24 Aug 2020 -- Head of Iran's Civil Aviation Organization revealed on Sunday details of Iran's final report on the crash of Ukrainian passenger plane PS752 that occurred near Tehran in January, official news agency IRNA reported.
- Iran Must Reveal Truth About Downing Plane, Ukrainian Official Stresses Radio Farda 24 Aug 2020 -- Ukrainian Deputy Foreign Minister Yevgeni Yenin is claiming that the data retrieved from flight P-752's recorders verifies Iran's responsibility for downing the plane on January 8, 2020 over Tehran, and called for the truth about the incident.
- Analysis of Black Boxes Reveals Downed Ukraine Jet Struck by Iranian Missiles 25 Seconds Apart Sputnik 24 Aug 2020 -- Analysis of the black boxes of the Ukrainian passenger plane downed on January 8 by Iranian forces shows that it was hit by two missiles 25 seconds apart and that passengers were alive for some time following the first blast, Iran's Civil Aviation Organization revealed on Sunday.
- Former Ukrainian Prime Minister Tymoshenko Tests Positive For Coronavirus RFE/RL 23 Aug 2020 -- Former Ukrainian Prime Minister Yulia Tymoshenko has tested positive for the coronavirus and is in serious condition with a fever, her party's spokeswoman said on August 23.
- Iran Says Downed Ukrainian Passenger Plane Hit By Two Missiles 25 Seconds Apart RFE/RL 23 Aug 2020 -- Iran says analysis from the black boxes of a downed Ukrainian passenger plane shows it was hit by two missiles 25 seconds apart and that those on board were still alive after the first strike.
- First Missile Fired At Ukrainian Plane Did Not Kill Passengers, Iran Civil Aviation Chief Says Radio Farda 23 Aug 2020 -- Iran's Civil Aviation Organization Head Touraj Dehghani-Zanganeh says analysis of the data and cockpit talk from the Ukrainian jet shot down by Revolutionary Guard missiles on January 8, 2020 shows the passengers and the crew were not harmed for at least 19 seconds before the second missile hit the plane.
- Iranian sky safe for foreign flights, aviation official says IRNA 23 Aug 2020 -- Head of Civil Aviation Organization of Iran Touraj Dehqani Zangeneh said that the foreign airlines should be assured that flying from the Iranian sky is safe.
- Iran says analyzable data retrieved from downed Ukraine plane Press TV 23 Aug 2020 -- Head of the Civil Aviation Organization of the Islamic Republic of Iran has announced the retrieval of some "analyzable" data from the black box of a Ukrainian passenger plane that was accidentally downed near Tehran in early January and left more than 170 people dead.
- Ukrainian Special Anti-Corruption Prosecutor Resigns RFE/RL 21 Aug 2020 -- The head of Ukraine's Special Anti-Corruption Prosecutor's Office says he has resigned after five years in the post.
- Ukraine receives assistance from 30 countries during COVID-19 pandemic: official Global Times 20 Aug 2020 -- During the coronavirus pandemic, Ukraine has received humanitarian aid from 30 countries and nine international organizations, Ukrainian First Deputy Foreign Minister Emine Dzheppar said on her official Facebook page on Wednesday.
- Ukraine Says Iran Must First Reveal The Full Truth About Downing Of Airliner Radio Farda 19 Aug 2020 -- Ukraine's deputy foreign minister has told Radio Farda that Kyiv most of all seeks the truth about the downing of its airliner by Iran and monetary compensation is a secondary goal.
- How Two U.S. Religious Aid Workers May Have Helped A Ukrainian Tycoon Launder Millions RFE/RL 19 Aug 2020 -- In the early 1990s, Mordechai Korf and Uriel Laber traveled to Ukraine as Jewish humanitarian volunteers as the country gained its independence and ended Soviet restrictions on religion.
- UK launches multinational training to enhance Ukrainian Navy against threats from the East UK MOD 18 Aug 2020 -- UK launches multinational training to enhance Ukrainian Navy against threats from the East
- Disposal of unserviceable ammunition resumes in Ukraine under NATO Trust Fund Project NATO 18 Aug 2020 -- Luxembourg, 18 August 2020 – The disposal of unserviceable ammunition in Ukraine has been resumed under the NATO Trust Fund Demilitarization Project framework, managed the NATO Support and Procurement Agency (NSPA). Demilitarization activities in the region were interrupted earlier this year due to the COVID-19 pandemic. Special procedures have been put in place to ensure compliance with the sanitary and epidemiological regulations and to provide a safe work environment.
- Ukraine Summons Belarusian Ambassador, Saying Release Of Russian Mercenaries Undermined Trust RFE/RL 18 Aug 2020 -- Ukrainian Foreign Minister Dmytro Kuleba says Ukraine has summoned the Belarusian ambassador for consultations on deteriorating relations between the two countries.
- Foreign Minister Says Ukraine Will Not Make Compromise With Iran If Humiliating To Victims Radio Farda 16 Aug 2020 -- Following the recent bilateral talks with Iran concerning compensation for the victims of Flight PS752 downed in February by Iran's Revolutionary Guard, Ukrainian Foreign Minister Dmytro Kuleba says that Ukraine will not make any compromise that will humiliate the victims of the tragedy or fail to satisfy their relatives' demands.
- Kyiv Angry Over Belarus's Release Of Alleged Russian Mercenary Group RFE/RL 15 Aug 2020 -- Kyiv has expressed anger over a decision by Belarus to release a group of alleged Russian mercenaries that was detained near Minsk in late July.
- Kolomoyskiy's U.S. Companies Were Approved For COVID Relief Loans, Records Show RFE/RL 13 Aug 2020 -- Five American companies owned by Ukrainian tycoons who are accused of laundering money and using the misappropriated funds to help buy U.S. assets were approved for as much as $13.3 million in loans through a federal program aimed at saving jobs during the pandemic, according to U.S. government records.
- Europeans should pay compensation for downed Ukrainian plane: Iran Central Insurance Press TV 10 Aug 2020 -- The president of the Central Insurance of Iran says a Ukrainian passenger plane that was accidentally downed near Tehran in early January was insured by European firms and they should pay compensation for it.
- European Insurers Must Pay For Downed Ukrainian Plane, Iran Official Says Radio Farda 10 Aug 2020 -- The Head of Iran's regulatory Central Insurance on Monday said the European companies that insured the Ukrainian plane downed by its Revolutionary Guard on January 8 must pay the compensation.
- U.S. Justice Department Moves To Seize Ukrainian Tycoon's Property RFE/RL 07 Aug 2020 -- The United States has moved to seize U.S. real estate belonging to a powerful Ukrainian tycoon with links to President Volodymyr Zelenskiy.
- Justice Department Seeks Forfeiture of Two Commercial Properties Purchased with Funds Misappropriated from PrivatBank in Ukraine US Dept. of Justice 06 Aug 2020 -- The United States filed two civil forfeiture complaints today in the U.S. District Court for the Southern District of Florida alleging that commercial real estate in Louisville, Kentucky, and Dallas, Texas, both acquired using funds misappropriated from PrivatBank in Ukraine, are subject to forfeiture based on violations of federal money laundering statutes.
- Ukraine Tells Zarif Iran Must Provide Full Explanation For Downed Airliner Radio Farda 06 Aug 2020 -- Ukraine expects to receive full information from Iran about the circumstances in which Iranian forces shot down an airliner in January, the Ukrainian Foreign Minister, Dmytro Kuleba, told Mohammad Javad Zarif, on Wednesday, August 5.
- Lukashenka Calls For Ukraine, Russia To Help Investigate Vagner Mercenaries RFE/RL 06 Aug 2020 -- Belarusian President Alyaksandr Lukashenka has ordered his government to invite Ukrainian and Russian prosecutors to Belarus to investigate a group of 33 mercenaries from the private Russian security firm Vagner Group who've been detained in Minsk.
- Ukrainian Tycoons Lost Their Expansive U.S. Steel Business To Bankruptcy. What Role Did Washington Play? RFE/RL 05 Aug 2020 -- Over the course of a decade, Ukrainian tycoon Ihor Kolomoyskiy and a business partner built a U.S. steel business worth about half a billion dollars.
- FBI Raids Offices Of U.S. Companies Belonging To Ukrainian Tycoons RFE/RL 04 Aug 2020 -- The FBI has raided the offices of U.S. companies owned by a powerful Ukrainian tycoon linked to President Volodymyr Zelenskiy.
Join the GlobalSecurity.org mailing list