Weapons of Mass Destruction (WMD)
July 2020 - Ukraine Special Weapons News
- Ukraine To Seek Extradition Of Alleged Russian Mercenaries Detained In Belarus, Moscow Calls For Their Release RFE/RL 31 Jul 2020 -- Kyiv says it will seek the extradition of alleged contractors from the Russian private military company Vagner being held in Belarus as Moscow demanded their release, saying they were in transit and headed to Turkey.
- New Bill Backing Reform In Ukraine Seeks To Show U.S. 'Will Stand By Its Friend' RFE/RL 31 Jul 2020 -- A bipartisan group of U.S. senators has introduced legislation to provide military assistance and reform support to Ukraine over the next five years, underscoring the widespread congressional backing for the nation despite repeated disappointments as it battles Russia-backed forces.
- Ukraine welcomes 'constructive' talks over plane crash with Tehran Press TV 31 Jul 2020 -- Ukraine says the first round of talks between Kiev and Tehran about the downing of a Ukrainian passenger plane near Tehran was constructive, but it was too early to say how much compensation Iran would agree to pay.
- Ukraine Reiterates Determination For Justice In Talks With Iran Over Downed Passenger Jet RFE/RL 31 Jul 2020 -- Ukraine has reiterated its determination to bring Iran to justice for the downing of a Ukrainian airliner shortly after takeoff in Tehran during talks on compensation over the January air disaster that killed 176 people.
- Ukrainian Ex-President Kravchuk Takes Presidential Envoy Post In Group For Resolving Conflict RFE/RL 30 Jul 2020 -- Ukraine's first President Leonid Kravchuk has agreed to take the post of presidential envoy in the trilateral contact group on resolving the armed conflict in the country's east.
- Iranian Delegation Arrives In Kiev To Discuss Compensation For Downed Ukrainian Flight Radio Farda 30 Jul 2020 -- Iranian news agencies on Thursday reported that a delegation headed by Deputy Foreign Minister for International and Legal Affairs Mohsen Baharvand has arrived in Kiev for talks with the Ukrainian authorities over the downing of Flight PS752 over Tehran on January 8.
- Iran Agrees to Pay Compensation for Ukranian Plane Downed in January, Foreign Ministry Says Sputnik 30 Jul 2020 -- In January, the crash of a Ukraine International Airlines Boeing 737-800 killed all of the 176 people on board. Commenting on the tragedy, Tehran later said that the plane was mistakenly downed after the military confused it with a hostile target.
- Russia arrests suspected Ukraine spy in Black Sea Fleet Press TV 30 Jul 2020 -- The Russian Federal Security Service (FSB) says it has arrested a serviceman from the country's Black Sea Fleet in the Crimean city of Sevastopol over suspected espionage for Ukraine.
- Russia's Security Service Arrests Black Sea Fleet Officer Working for Ukraine Intelligence Sputnik 30 Jul 2020 -- A serviceman of Russia's Black Sea Fleet who worked for the Ukrainian military intelligence was placed into custody in Sevastopol for committing high treason, the Russian Federal Security Service (FSB) said on Thursday.
- Belarus, Ukraine Agree to Boost Border Control to Prevent Destabilization Sputnik 30 Jul 2020 -- Minsk and Kiev have reached an agreement to boost border control and strengthen cooperation between relevant agencies to prevent destabilization ahead of the Belarusian presidential election, the Belarusian Foreign Ministry said on Thursday.
- Kuchma Quits As Presidential Envoy In Group For Resolving Conflict In Ukraine RFE/RL 28 Jul 2020 -- Former Ukrainian President Leonid Kuchma has left the post of presidential envoy in the trilateral contact group on resolving the ongoing conflict between Russia-backed separatists and Ukrainian armed forces in the country's east.
- Iranian Delegation To Visit Ukraine To Discuss Compensation For Shooting Down Passenger Jet RFE/RL 28 Jul 2020 -- An Iranian delegation will visit Ukraine later this week to discuss compensation for a Ukrainian jet shot down by Iran on January 8, the Ukrainian foreign minister has said.
- Ukraine Accuses Separatists Of Breaching New Truce RFE/RL 27 Jul 2020 -- Ukraine's military says Russia-backed separatists have breached a cease-fire in eastern Ukraine shortly after it went into effect - a claim rejected by the separatists.
- Putin, Zelenskiy Speak By Phone Ahead Of Fresh Truce In Eastern Ukraine RFE/RL 26 Jul 2020 -- Ukrainian President Volodymyr Zelenskiy and his Russian counterpart Vladimir Putin have discussed the conflict in eastern Ukraine hours before a fresh cease-fire was due to enter into force.
- Privatbank, In Amended Complaint, Claims Kolomoyskiy, Partner Laundered Nearly $800 Million RFE/RL 24 Jul 2020 -- Privatbank, the Ukrainian lender nationalized by the state in 2016, now claims its former owners laundered nearly $800 million in the United States.
- Canada Says Preliminary Analysis Of Data From Downed Ukrainian Airliner Is Complete RFE/RL 24 Jul 2020 -- International investigators in France have completed the download and preliminary analysis of data from the black boxes recovered from the Ukraine International Airlines (UIA) jet shot down by Iran in January, killing all 176 people on board.
- International Team Completes Analysis of Ukrainian Jet Shot Down by Iran VOA 24 Jul 2020 -- An international team has completed a preliminary investigative analysis of the black boxes from a Ukrainian passenger jetliner accidentally shot down by Iran in January, Canada's Transportation Safety Board said Thursday.
- RFE/RL Investigation Identifies Several Who Served On Deadly Separatist Military Tribunals In Eastern Ukraine RFE/RL 23 Jul 2020 -- RFE/RL has determined the identities of and new details about seven of the nine men who served on so-called "military tribunals" and carried out several executions of those it "convicted" in the eastern Ukrainian city of Slovyansk.
- Swiss, Ukrainian Presidents Visit War-Torn East, Inspect Humanitarian Aid RFE/RL 23 Jul 2020 -- Visiting Swiss President Simonetta Sommaruga and Ukrainian President Volodymyr Zelenskiy have visited Ukraine's eastern regions of Donetsk and Luhansk, known as the Donbas, parts of which have been under the control of Russia-backed separatists since April 2014.
- Deal Reached For Ukraine Cease-Fire From July 27 RFE/RL 23 Jul 2020 -- Negotiators from Ukraine, Russia, and the Organization for Security and Cooperation in Europe (OSCE) have reached an agreement for a cease-fire in eastern Ukraine from July 27.
- U.S. Offers $2 Million Reward In Global Search For Ukrainians Accused Of Hacking SEC Database RFE/RL 22 Jul 2020 -- The U.S. Secret Service has announced a $2 million reward for information leading to the arrest or conviction of two Ukrainian men accused of hacking into the Securities and Exchange Commission's data system.
- Transnational Organized Crime Rewards Program Offer for Information to Bring Ukrainian Nationals to Justice US Dept. of State 22 Jul 2020 -- "Today, the U.S. Department of State announces rewards of up to $1 million each for information leading to the arrests and/or convictions of Ukrainian nationals Artem Viacheslavovich Radchenko and Oleksandr Vitalyevich Ieremenko for participating in transnational organized crime, specifically cybercrime."
- Russia-Controlled Court Sentences Crimean Tatar For Participation In Resistance Group RFE/RL 22 Jul 2020 -- A court in Russia-annexed Crimea has sentenced a local Tatar man to eight years in prison after finding him guilty of being a member of an "illegal armed group" that resists Moscow's control of the peninsula.
- Ukraine Rejects 'Human Error' As Iran's Explanation For Downing Jetliner Radio Farda 22 Jul 2020 -- Dmytro Kuleba, the Foreign Minister of Ukraine, on Tuesday said Iranian representatives have promised to visit Ukraine till the end of next week to discuss compensations for the downing of its airliner in January.
- Analysis of Ukrainian plane black boxes underway in France IRNA 21 Jul 2020 -- Iranian Embassy in France announced that analyzing data of the crashed Ukrainian plane black boxes will start in laboratory of the Bureau of Enquiry and Analysis for Civil Aviation Safety on Tuesday.
- International Black Sea Military Drills Commence In Ukraine RFE/RL 20 Jul 2020 -- Sea Breeze 2020, a multinational naval exercise, has been launched in the Ukrainian waters of the Black Sea.
- USS Porter Participates in Exercise Sea Breeze 2020 NNS 20 Jul 2020 -- The Arleigh Burke-class destroyer USS Porter (DDG 78) entered the Black Sea July 19, 2020 to participate in exercise Sea Breeze 2020.
- USS Porter En Route to Black Sea for Exercise Sea Breeze 2020 NNS 20 Jul 2020 -- The Arleigh Burke-class guided-missile destroyer USS Porter (DDG 78) began its northbound transit to the Black Sea, July 19, 2020, to enhance regional maritime stability by participating in the 20th iteration of U.S.-Ukrainian cohosted exercise Sea Breeze 2020.
- Canada says black boxes of downed Ukrainian plane arrive in Paris Press TV 20 Jul 2020 -- Canada's foreign minister says the black boxes of a Ukrainian plane that crashed in Iran in January has arrived in France for analysis.
- ICAO: Decoding black boxes of Ukrainian plane starts in France IRNA 20 Jul 2020 -- Iran Civil Aviation Organization (ICAO) announced on Monday that the process of decoding black box of Ukrainian plane (PS752) started in France.
- Ukraine Welcomes Iranian Handover Of Flight Recorders As Data Extraction Begins RFE/RL 20 Jul 2020 -- Ukrainian President Volodymyr Zelenskiy has welcomed Iran's handover to France of the flight recorders from a Ukrainian airliner that was downed shortly after taking off from Tehran on January 8.
- Downed Ukrainian Airline's Flight Data Recorders in France for Analysis VOA 20 Jul 2020 -- Canada's Foreign Minister François-Philippe Champagne said the flight data recorders from a Ukrainian passenger plane downed by an Iranian missile are in Paris where they are expected to be taken to France's Civil Aviation Safety Investigation Authority for analysis Monday.
- Iran Sends Downed Ukrainian Plane's Black Box To France Radio Farda 18 Jul 2020 -- Six months after downing an airliner, Iran says that it has sent the aircraft's black box to France on Friday July 17.
- Iran Sends Black Boxes Of Downed Ukrainian Airliner To France For Analysis RFE/RL 18 Jul 2020 -- Iran has sent the black boxes of Ukraine International Airlines Flight 752, which crashed shortly after takeoff in Tehran on January 8 after being struck by two missiles, killing 176 people.
- Iran Sends Crashed Ukrainian Jet's Black Box to France, Diplomat Says Sputnik 18 Jul 2020 -- A black box from a Ukrainian plane downed near Tehran in January has been sent to France for reading, Iranian Deputy Foreign Minister Mohsen Baharvand said Saturday.
- Russia Urged To Accept Responsibility On Sixth Anniversary Of MH17 Downing RFE/RL 17 Jul 2020 -- Ukraine and its Western partners have marked the sixth anniversary of the downing of a Malaysia Airlines passenger flight over eastern Ukraine by calling on Russia to cooperate fully with the investigation into the tragedy and accept its responsibility.
- Kiev disagrees with Iran's theory on Ukrainian jet crash: Ukrainian FM People's Daily 15 Jul 2020 -- Ukraine does not agree with Iran's claim that the downing of the Ukraine International Airlines passenger plane was due to human error, Ukrainian Foreign Minister Dmytro Kuleba said Tuesday.
- Russian Lawmakers Approve In Initial Reading Expanded 'Extremism" Law Aimed At Crimea RFE/RL 14 Jul 2020 -- Russia's lower chamber of parliament, the State Duma, has approved the first reading of an expanded extremism bill aimed at further quelling opposition activists and politicians as well as anyone questioning Moscow's forcible seizure of the Crimean Peninsula.
- Ukrainian Jet Downing Caused by Misaligned Radar, Tehran States Sputnik 12 Jul 2020 -- A Boeing 737 operated by Ukraine International Airlines, crashed in January soon after departing from an airport in Tehran. The catastrophe claimed the lives of 176 passengers and crew.
- Iran: 'Human Error' Caused Ukraine Crash VOA 12 Jul 2020 -- Iran claims "human error" was responsible for the downing of a Ukrainian passenger plane earlier this year that killed all 176 people on board.
- Ukraine plane downed due to radar operator's error: Iran Civil Aviation Organization Press TV 12 Jul 2020 -- The Civil Aviation Organization of the Islamic Republic of Iran (CAO.IRI) says the mismanagement of an air defense unit's radar system by its operator was the key "human error" that led to the accidental downing of a Ukrainian passenger plane in early January.
- Iran Civil Aviation Says Military Approved Flight Of Downed Ukraine Airliner Radio Farda 12 Jul 2020 -- Iran's Civil Aviation Organization (CAO) has blamed the "forgetfulness" of an Iranian air defense unit's commander for shooting down Ukraine International Airlines' (UIA) flight 752 on January 8 over Tehran, killing all 176 aboard.
- Iran Says Misaligned Radar, Human Error To Blame For Downing Of Ukrainian Airliner RFE/RL 12 Jul 2020 -- Iranian authorities say a misaligned missile battery and miscommunication between soldiers and superior officers were to blame for the January downing of a Ukrainian jetliner that killed 176 people.
- Ukrainian Tycoon Kolomoyskiy Bidding For More Media Assets RFE/RL 11 Jul 2020 -- A company controlled by Ukrainian billionaire Ihor Kolomoyskiy is bidding to manage the assets of a local media company, potentially giving the tycoon greater influence over the nation's news content.
- Additional Criminal Cases Launched Against Former Ukrainian President Poroshenko RFE/RL 10 Jul 2020 -- The Ukrainian Prosecutor-General's Office has launched four additional criminal cases against former President Petro Poroshenko, his lawyer Ihor Holovan said on June 10.
- Netherlands Takes Russia To European Rights Court Over MH17 Downing RFE/RL 10 Jul 2020 -- The Dutch government is taking Russia to the European Court of Human Rights for its alleged role in the downing of Malaysia Airlines passenger flight MH17 over eastern Ukraine in 2014.
- Moscow Slams Hague's Decision to Bring Russia Before European Court of Human Rights Over MH17 Crash Sputnik 10 Jul 2020 -- The news comes after the Dutch Public Prosecution Service agreed to delay the hearings from this autumn to February-March 2021, after a request by attorneys and representatives of the victims.
- Russian Lawmakers Propose Expanded 'Extremism' Law Aimed At Crimea RFE/RL 09 Jul 2020 -- A group of Russian lawmakers has proposed an expanded extremism bill aimed at further quelling opposition activists and politicians as well as anyone questioning Moscow's forcible seizure of the Crimean Peninsula.
- Secretary General welcomes Ukrainian Deputy Prime Minister to NATO Headquarters NATO 08 Jul 2020 -- NATO Secretary General Jens Stoltenberg held talks on Wednesday (8 July 2020) with Ukraine's Deputy Prime Minister for European and Euro-Atlantic Integration, Olha Stefanishyna.
- Russian Authorities In Occupied Crimea Detain Tatar Activists, Search Their Homes RFE/RL 07 Jul 2020 -- Russian authorities have detained seven Crimean Tatar activists after searching their homes in different parts of Ukraine's Moscow-controlled Crimea region.
- Iran To Compensate Ukrainian Plane Victims, Families Say Investigation First Radio Farda 03 Jul 2020 -- Swedish Foreign Minister Ann Linde on Thursday said Iran has agreed to compensate the families of the victims of the Ukrainian plane shot down near Tehran on January 8 by the Revolutionary Guard.
- Court In MH17 Trial Grants Defense Request For Additional Investigations RFE/RL 03 Jul 2020 -- Judges hearing the case against four suspects in the 2014 downing of a passenger airliner over eastern Ukraine have granted a defense request to investigate alternative theories about the incident.
- Ukraine Parliament Confirms Central Bank Head's Resignation Over Smears, 'Political Pressure' RFE/RL 03 Jul 2020 -- The Ukrainian parliament has voted to confirm the departure of central bank Governor Yakiv Smoliy, who says he resigned because of "systematic political pressure" to take decisions that were not based on economics.
- Sweden Says Iran Agrees To Compensate Families From Downing Of Ukrainian Airliner RFE/RL 02 Jul 2020 -- Swedish Foreign Minister Ann Linde says Iran has agreed that it will compensate the families of foreign victims who died when a Ukrainian airliner was shot down after taking off from Tehran's main airport in January, killing all 176 people on board.
- Ukraine's Foreign Minister Says Russia-Annexed Crimea's 'De-Occupation Is Inevitable' RFE/RL 02 Jul 2020 -- Ukrainian Foreign Minister Dmytro Kuleba says Russia's departure from the Black Sea Crimea Peninsula, which it annexed in 2014, is "inevitable."
- Ukraine Halts Eurobond Sale, Tries To Reassure Investors After Central Bank Head's Exit RFE/RL 02 Jul 2020 -- Ukraine's government has decided to pause a planned $1.75 billion Eurobond sale in the wake of the resignation of the head of the country's central bank.
- Ukrainian Central Bank Chief Resigns, Cites 'Political Pressure' RFE/RL 01 Jul 2020 -- The governor of Ukraine's central bank, Yakiv Smoliy, says he is resigning because of "systematic political pressure that denied fulfillment" of his duties.
Join the GlobalSecurity.org mailing list