Weapons of Mass Destruction (WMD)
May 2020 - Ukraine Special Weapons News
- EU Releases 500 Million Euro Final Loan Tranche To Ukraine RFE/RL 29 May 2020 -- The European Commission (EC) has approved the disbursement of the second and final 500 million euro ($555 million) tranche of its macro-financial assistance to Ukraine.
- Ukrainian Interior Minister Says Shooting In Kyiv Region Linked To Corruption RFE/RL 29 May 2020 -- Ukrainian Interior Minister Arsen Avakov has said that a mass shooting incident in the town of Brovary near the capital is linked to corruption among Kyiv city and regional authorities.
- Poroshenko Again Fails To Show For Questioning At Ukraine's State Bureau Of Investigations RFE/RL 29 May 2020 -- Former Ukrainian President Petro Poroshenko has failed for the second time this week to show up at the State Bureau of Investigations (DBR) for questioning.
- US General: Russia Using 'Same Playbook' in Libya as in Ukraine, Syria VOA 29 May 2020 -- Russia is further destabilizing Libya to gain a stronghold in northern Africa, just as it has in Eastern Europe and the Middle East, according to a top official with U.S. Africa Command (AFRICOM).
- Ukraine Reports 477 New COVID-19 Cases SPA 28 May 2020 -- Ukraine reported 477 new cases of the nonvel coronavirus (COVID-19) in the previous 24 hours, bringing the total number of cases to 22382.
- Pentagon Reportedly Signs Off on Additional $125 Million in Lethal Military Aid to Ukraine Sputnik 28 May 2020 -- The US has already provided the country some $1.5 billion in 'security assistance' over the past five years, including everything from patrol vehicles and fast boats to radar systems, Javelin anti-tank missiles, and training support.
- Number of Confirmed COVID-19 Cases in Ukraine Exceeds 21,000 SPA 26 May 2020 -- The number of people infected with the new coronavirus in Ukraine increased to 21,584 cases.
- Poroshenko Fails To Appear For Questioning As Witness In Illegal Transfer Of Paintings RFE/RL 26 May 2020 -- Former Ukrainian President Petro Poroshenko has failed to appear at the State Bureau of Investigations (DBR) for questioning as a witness in a case about the alleged illegal transfer of cultural objects across the border.
- COVID-19: Iran Reopens Religious Shrines After Two Months; Ukrainian Cities Reopen Subways RFE/RL 25 May 2020 -- The global death toll from the coronavirus is almost 350,000 with more than 5.4 million infections confirmed, causing mass disruptions as governments continue to try to slow the spread of the new respiratory illness.
- Ukraine Says Those Responsible In Iran For Downing Its Airliner Must Face Justice Radio Farda 24 May 2020 -- The Deputy Foreign Minister of Ukraine has told Radio Farda Kyiv insists on punishing those responsible in Iran for shooting down its passenger plane in January.
- Ukrainian Lawmaker Found In Office With Fatal Gunshot Wound RFE/RL 23 May 2020 -- A Ukrainian lawmaker was found dead in his office with a fatal gunshot wound to the head.
- Missile Operator's Breach Of Rules Downed Ukrainian Plane, Iran Defense Minister Says Radio Farda 23 May 2020 -- Outspoken former lawmaker Mahmoud Sadeqi (Sadeghi) on Friday disclosed that officials have found the operator of the missile system that downed a Ukrainian plane in January responsible for the incident.
- UNICEF Calls For Cease-Fire In Eastern Ukraine, Says Children 'Urgently Need Peace' RFE/RL 22 May 2020 -- The UN children's agency is calling for all parties to the deadly conflict in eastern Ukraine to commit to a cease-fire and end more than six years of fighting, as an increase in shelling has resulted in numerous child casualties and damaged schools since the beginning of the year.
- IMF, Ukraine Pencil $5 Billion Deal To Help With Dept Repayments RFE/RL 22 May 2020 -- The International Monetary Fund (IMF) and Ukrainian officials reached a staff-level agreement on a new $5 billion stand-by arrangement to help Kyiv cope with economic shock caused by the coronavirus pandemic.
- Kyiv, Sofia Clash Over Ukraine's Plan To Redraw District Lines In Ethnic Bulgarian Region RFE/RL 22 May 2020 -- Ukraine and Bulgaria have clashed over Kyiv's plans to change administrative divisions within a district in the southern Odesa region with a sizeable ethnic-Bulgarian minority.
- Ukrainian Security Service Chief Reportedly Runs Company In Spain, Illegally RFE/RL 22 May 2020 -- The head of the Ukrainian Security Service (SBU), Ivan Bakanov, holds a top position in a private company registered in Spain, in violation of the anti-corruption law, according to Skhemy (Schemes), a joint project by RFE/RL and UA:Pershy television.
- Ukraine extends quarantine measures till June 22 Global Times 21 May 2020 -- The Ukrainian government has approved a decision to extend the quarantine measures introduced in the country till June 22, while the second stage of easing the restrictions will begin from May 22, Ukrainian Prime Minister Denys Shmyhal said on Wednesday.
- EU May Break Own Protocol By Participating In Russia-Backed Crimea Event RFE/RL 21 May 2020 -- The European Union and several of its member states may break the bloc's own guidelines on contacts with de facto authorities of the Russia-annexed Crimean Peninsula by participating in a Moscow-backed videoconference on the situation in the region.
- No Craft Beer This Time: Ukrainian President Reflects On First Year In Office -- From A Safe Distance RFE/RL 21 May 2020 -- The scene has changed a lot as Volodymyr Zelenskiy wraps up his first year as Ukraine's president, but the backdrop largely remains the same.
- Evidence From Downed Ukrainian Flight Poses More Puzzles About Crash Radio Farda 21 May 2020 -- The head of Ukraine's investigation team has said that evidence from the passengers on board flight PS752 suggests that something had happened to the plane even before it was hit by the missiles fired at it by the Revolutionary Guard.
- Ukrainian President 'Sure' IMF Memorandum To Be Signed By End Of Month RFE/RL 20 May 2020 -- Ukraine's president, Volodymyr Zelenskiy, says he is certain a memorandum with the International Monetary Fund (IMF) will be signed by the end of May to bolster the country's finances.
- Ukraine To Use Separatist Interviews As Evidence Of Role In MH17 Downing RFE/RL 19 May 2020 -- The Ukrainian Security Service (SBU) says it will use a journalist's interview with former separatist figures as evidence of crimes committed during the war in the east of the country, including the downing of Malaysia Airlines Flight 17 (MH17).
- U.S. Tells Russia To Stop 'Inflicting Suffering On Crimean People' RFE/RL 18 May 2020 -- The acting U.S. ambassador to Kyiv, Kristina Kvien, has called on Russia to "stop its legacy of inflicting suffering on the people of Crimea," as Ukraine commemorated the victims of Soviet dictator Josef Stalin's mass deportation of Crimean Tatars from their homeland in 1944.
- Return Of Crimea 'Difficult And Slow Process,' Says Ukraine's Parliament Speaker RFE/RL 16 May 2020 -- The speaker of the Ukrainian parliament says efforts to return control of Crimea to Kyiv are part of "a difficult and slow process," that Ukraine is determined to resolve.
- U.S. Law Firm Paid Millions To Former Ukrainian Prime Minister To Avoid Lawsuit, Says Report RFE/RL 11 May 2020 -- An international law firm based in New York paid at least $11 million to avoid being sued by Yulia Tymoshenko, Ukraine's former prime minister, according to The New York Times in a story published on May 10.
- Ukrainian President Names Saakashvili To Head Reform Council RFE/RL 07 May 2020 -- Ukraine's president has named former Georgian President Mikheil Saakashvili to head the executive committee of Ukraine's National Reform Council.
- Ukrainian Ex-Prosecutor Ryaboshapka Under Investigation RFE/RL 06 May 2020 -- Former Ukrainian Prosecutor-General Ruslan Ryaboshapka, who was forced out in a parliamentary vote of no confidence two months ago, is now under investigation.
- Ukraine's Security Service Says It Detained Russian Agent RFE/RL 06 May 2020 -- The Ukrainian Security Service (SBU) says it has detained an alleged spy accused of collecting data on a "modern missile system" on behalf of Russia.
Join the GlobalSecurity.org mailing list