Weapons of Mass Destruction (WMD)
February 2020 - Ukraine Special Weapons News
- Report: Ukrainian Snipers Find Themselves Outgunned, Outmatched By Enemy RFE/RL 27 Feb 2020 -- Russian snipers and separatist marksmen trained in Russian military camps outmatch their Ukrainian counterparts in the Donbas conflict with better rifles, equipment, and ammunition, an analysis by the Washington-based Jamestown Foundation says.
- Pompeo Says 'Crimea Is Ukraine' On Anniversary Of Russia's Seizure RFE/RL 27 Feb 2020 -- U.S. Secretary of State Mike Pompeo says Washington "does not and will not ever recognize" Moscow's claim to Ukraine's Crimea region, which it seized in 2014 and annexed.
- White House Extends Russia Sanctions Over Ukraine Situation For One Year RFE/RL 26 Feb 2020 -- U.S. President Donald Trump has extended for one year a series of previously imposed sanctions on Russia over its actions in Ukraine, in particular, forcibly annexing the Crimean Peninsula and further destabilizing the country.
- In First Interview Since Departure, Russia's Former 'Gray Cardinal' Questions Existence Of Ukraine RFE/RL 26 Feb 2020 -- Vladislav Surkov was once "the man" in the Kremlin - the "gray cardinal" and ideologist and who oversaw Ukraine policy during the now six-year war that has killed more than 13,000, displaced more than 1 million, and ruptured ties between Moscow and the West.
- Text of a Notice on the Continuation of the National Emergency with Respect to Ukraine The White House 25 Feb 2020
- Message to the Congress on the Continuation of the National Emergency with Respect to Ukraine The White House 25 Feb 2020
- US Provides Ukraine $1.5Mln to Improve Special Forces Training Facilities - Embassy Sputnik 24 Feb 2020 -- The United States has provided Ukraine $1.5 million in assistance to improve training facilities for special operations forces, the US embassy in Kiev said on Monday.
- Trump Says Would Be 'Great Thing' For Russia, Ukraine To Reconcile RFE/RL 24 Feb 2020 -- U.S. President Donald Trump has said he would like to see rivals Russia and Ukraine mend ties in their ongoing geopolitical feud, which includes accusations by Kyiv that Moscow is fomenting a separatist conflict in eastern Ukraine by leading, supplying, and fighting alongside proxy forces.
- Violence Greets Wuhan Evacuees Upon Arrival In Ukrainian Town RFE/RL 20 Feb 2020 -- Violence erupted as the first group of Ukrainians evacuated from the Chinese city of Wuhan - the epicenter of the coronavirus outbreak - arrived the city of Novi Sanzhary in the eastern region of Poltava.
- Plane Carrying Ukrainians Arrives From China's Wuhan Amid Protests RFE/RL 20 Feb 2020 -- A plane carrying the first group of Ukrainians evacuated from China's Wuhan, the city at the epicenter of the deadly new coronavirus outbreak, has landed in Ukraine amid protests by residents of the eastern city of Kharkiv, where a quarantine center has been set up.
- Ukrainian Evacuation Flight Lands In China; Kyiv Not Naming Quarantine Site RFE/RL 19 Feb 2020 -- A plane chartered by the Ukrainian government has landed in China to evacuate 87 people, including 48 citizens, from the city of Wuhan, the epicenter of the new coronavirus outbreak, said Oleksiy Danilov, Ukraine's national security chief.
- Defense minister says Ukrainian plane's black box damaged IRNA 19 Feb 2020 -- Defense Minister Brigadier General Amir Hatami said on Wednesday that the Iranian defense industry has been asked to help repair the seriously damaged black box of the Ukrainian airliner.
- Ministers Say Tehran Won't Hand Over 'Damaged' Black Box Of Downed Ukrainian Plane RFE/RL 19 Feb 2020 -- The black box of a Ukrainian passenger airliner shot down by Iranian forces in Tehran in January is damaged and Iran will not hand it over to another country, despite pressure for access, state media quoted top Iranian ministers as saying on February 19.
- OSCE Urges Restraint In East Ukraine After Deadly Uptick In Fighting RFE/RL 19 Feb 2020 -- Two high-ranking officials from the Organization for Security and Cooperation in Europe (OSCE) expressed deep concern over the recent upsurge in fighting in eastern Ukraine that killed at least five combatants and wounded at least eight others near a front-line town from which the warring sides withdrew forces in November.
- Ukraine Sending Plane To Evacuate Citizens From China As Virus Deaths Exceed 1,800 RFE/RL 18 Feb 2020 -- After a week of delay, Ukraine on February 18 plans to send a plane to China and evacuate 49 citizens and 25 foreign nationals, Health Minister Viktor Lyashko announced the previous day.
- Hope for 'long-elusive progress' in negotiating peace in eastern Ukraine UN News 18 Feb 2020 -- Marking the fifth anniversary of the 2015 Minsk II agreement, the UN political chief told the Security Council on Tuesday, that along with the Minsk Protocol and the Minsk memorandum, it remains "the only agreed framework" for a negotiated, peaceful settlement of the conflict in eastern Ukraine.
- Zelenskiy Calls For Elections in Donetsk, Lukhansk In October RFE/RL 15 Feb 2020 -- Ukraine's president has called for holding local elections in the war-torn east, along with the rest of the country, in October, despite the ongoing conflict in the region.
- Senior U.S. Senators Meet Zelenskiy In Kyiv, Reaffirm Bipartisan Backing For Ukraine RFE/RL 15 Feb 2020 -- Three senior U.S. senators arrived in Ukraine to meet with President Volodymyr Zelenskiy and reaffirm bipartisan support for continued strong relations between the two countries, despite an impeachment process that put Kyiv in the middle of a sensitive political situation.
- In Phone Call, Zelenskiy And Putin Discuss Next Normandy Summit, Possible Prisoner Exchange RFE/RL 14 Feb 2020 -- Ukrainian President Volodymyr Zelenskiy and his Russian counterpart, Vladimir Putin, have discussed by phone preparations for a new summit in the so-called Normandy format and a possible prisoner swap, Zelenskiy's office said on February 14.
- Kyiv, Moscow Say Zelenskiy, Patrushev Did Not Meet In Oman RFE/RL 14 Feb 2020 -- Presidential offices in Kyiv and Moscow say Ukrainian President Volodymyr Zelenskiy and Russian Security Council Secretary Nikolai Patrushev did not meet in Oman last month, as rumors swirled following a report by the investigative journalism group Schemes (Skhemy), that showed the two officials crossed paths in the Middle Eastern country.
- Readout of Secretary of Defense Dr. Mark T. Esper's Meeting With Ukrainian Minister of Defense Andriy Zagorodnyuk DoD 13 Feb 2020
- Netherlands Rejected Moscow's Bid To Try MH17 Suspects In Russia RFE/RL 13 Feb 2020 -- The Netherlands has rejected an offer by Moscow to prosecute three Russian men suspected of involvement in the 2014 downing of Malaysia Airlines flight MH17, a disaster that cost the lives of nearly 300 people.
- Ukrainian Envoy Says Russian Helicopter Fired On Navy Vessel In Black Sea In 2018 RFE/RL 13 Feb 2020 -- A ballistics test has found that a Russian combat helicopter allegedly fired an armor-piercing projectile at one of the three Ukrainian Navy vessels in the Black Sea in 2018 that Russia impounded, said Ukraine's deputy envoy to international organizations in Vienna, Ihor Lossovskiy.
- Ukraine's Armored Vehicles Significantly Damaged In First 2 Years Of Donbas Conflict RFE/RL 12 Feb 2020 -- Ukraine's military says 2,576 units of its weaponized armored vehicles and equipment were damaged between April 2014 and June 2016 in the combat zone of the two easternmost regions where a war with Russia-backed separatists still rages.
- Ukrainian President Fires Chief Of Staff, Appoints Aide Who Met With Giuliani RFE/RL 11 Feb 2020 -- Ukrainian President Volodymyr Zelenskiy has dismissed the chief of his administration, Andriy Bohdan, and replaced him with Andriy Yermak, an aide whose name has been linked to U.S. President Donald Trump's personal lawyer, Rudolph Giuliani.
- US Withholding $30Mln Worth of US Arms, Ammo Sales to Ukraine - Report Sputnik 07 Feb 2020 -- The United States is withholding $30 million in arms and ammunition sales to Ukraine, media reported on Thursday citing four officials from both countries familiar with the matter.
- Court In Russian-Occupied Crimea Extends Pretrial Arrest For Pro-Ukrainian Activist RFE/RL 06 Feb 2020 -- A court in Crimea has extended the pretrial detention of pro-Ukrainian activist Oleh Prykhodko.
- Kremlin Says It Has No Part In Russian Citizen Becoming 'Prime Minister' In Ukraine's Separatist Region RFE/RL 06 Feb 2020 -- The Kremlin has distanced itself from the naming of a Russian citizen as the separatist prime minister in Ukraine's eastern Donetsk region.
- WTO Delivers Mixed Ruling In Russia, Ukraine Rail Feud RFE/RL 05 Feb 2020 -- The World Trade Organization (WTO) on February 4 ruled largely in favor of Ukraine in a dispute with Russia over railway equipment exports -- one of several rows between the two rival neighbors in their broader geopolitical spat.
- Ukrainian Parliament Paves Way Toward Slashing Number Of Mandates By 33 Percent RFE/RL 05 Feb 2020 -- Ukraine's parliament on February 4 approved a bill in one of two readings that would amend the constitution and reduce the number of lawmakers in the chamber from 450 to 300.
- In Kyiv, Erdogan Said All The Right Things -- Unless You're A Turkish Dissident In Ukraine RFE/RL 05 Feb 2020 -- Turkish President Recep Tayyip Erdogan said all the things Ukraine wanted to hear when he visited Kyiv this week, and media outlets in both countries rewarded him with glowing coverage.
- One-Third Of Ukrainians Say They Belong To Church Independent Of Moscow RFE/RL 04 Feb 2020 -- More than one-third (34 percent) of Ukrainians identify with the newly created independent Orthodox Church of Ukraine (OCU), a poll found conducted by the Kyiv-based Razumkov Center think tank and published on February 3.
- Iran to Continue Cooperation on Ukrainian Plane Crash Probe After Talks Leak- Authorities Sputnik 04 Feb 2020 -- Iran will continue cooperating with other countries on the probe into the Ukrainian aircraft crash despite the leak of dispatchers' talks, the country's Civil Aviation Organisation said.
- Zelenskiy, Erdogan Meet In Push To Boost Trade Between Turkey, Ukraine RFE/RL 03 Feb 2020 -- Ukrainian President Volodymyr Zelenskiy has met with his Turkish counterpart in Kyiv for talks expected to focus on trade.
- Two Ukrainian Soldiers Killed Over Bloody Weekend In Donbas RFE/RL 03 Feb 2020 -- Two Ukrainian military personnel were killed and four wounded over the weekend in the Donbas conflict zone where Russian-backed separatists control portions of the country's two easternmost regions.
- Ukrainian President Says Compensation Offered By Iran For Shooting Down Airliner Not Enough RFE/RL 03 Feb 2020 -- Ukrainian President Volodymyr Zelenskiy has said in televised remarks that Iran offered $80,000 per victim after it shot down a Ukrainian passenger jet on January 8, but that Ukraine did not accept the offer because "it was too little."
- Some Relatives Of Ukrainian Airliner Victims Complain Of Pressure From Iranian Authorities RFE/RL 03 Feb 2020 -- A man who lost his wife in Iran's January 8 downing of a Ukrainian passenger jet says he fled the country after being pressured by authorities for criticizing the way the government handled the tragedy.
- Iran to Stop Coordinating With Ukraine After Air Traffic Recordings Leaked VOA 03 Feb 2020 -- Tehran said Monday that it would stop sharing information with Kyiv about the downing of a Ukrainian jetliner last month, after a Ukrainian TV channel released leaked recordings from Iranian air traffic control.
- Iran slams Ukraine's leak of recording related to downed plane Press TV 03 Feb 2020 -- Iranian authorities have slammed the airing of recording in Ukraine related to a plane crash last month in Iran, saying the move would cause Tehran to stop sharing further information with Kiev over the incident.
- Tehran Stops Sharing Evidence From Plane Crash With Kyiv After Leak RFE/RL 03 Feb 2020 -- An Iranian official says his country will stop sharing with Kyiv evidence from the crash of a Ukrainian airliner shot down near Tehran last month after audio from the investigation showing the authorities were aware immediately that a missile may have downed the plane was leaked by Ukrainian media.
Join the GlobalSecurity.org mailing list