Weapons of Mass Destruction (WMD)
July 2019 - Ukraine Special Weapons News
- Zelenskiy's Economic Team Head Wants New IMF Loan, To Lift Farmland Sale Ban RFE/RL 31 Jul 2019 -- Ukraine wants a new, longer-term International Monetary Fund (IMF) program with an emphasis on attracting foreign investment, selling state-owned assets, and lifting the ban on the sale of farmland.
- Ukraine Detains Ex-Police Officer Suspected Of Spying For Russia RFE/RL 31 Jul 2019 -- Ukraine's security service (SBU) says a former police officer has been detained in the southern region of Zaporizhzhya on suspicion of spying for Russia.
- Ukrainian Court Approves Seizure Of Detained Russian Tanker RFE/RL 30 Jul 2019 -- A Ukrainian court has formally approved the seizure of a Russian tanker that was detained by Ukrainian authorities at the Danube River port of Izmail last week, Ukraine's Chief Military Prosecutor Anatoliy Matios said on July 30.
- Ukrainian Court Authorizes Arrest Of Seized Russian Tanker Nika Spirit Sputnik 30 Jul 2019 -- A Ukrainian court on Tuesday arrested Russian tanker Nika Spirit, along with the documents seized during the search on board the vessel, Ukrainian Chief Military Prosecutor Anatoliy Matios said.
- Lawmaking 101: Before Parliament Convenes, Ukraine's Incoming Freshman Class Is Getting Schooled RFE/RL 27 Jul 2019 -- President Volodymyr Zelenskiy's Servant of the People party won Ukraine's first-ever majority in parliament in elections this month, giving it unprecedented power.
- Final Ukraine Election Results Confirm Zelenskiy Landslide RFE/RL 26 Jul 2019 -- Ukraine's Central Election Commission says it has counted all of the ballots cast in July 21 snap parliamentary elections, confirming an overwhelming win for President Volodymyr Zelenskiy's Servant of the People party.
- Trump, Ukraine's Zelenskiy Outline Pending Meeting During Phone Call RFE/RL 26 Jul 2019 -- U.S. President Donald Trump congratulated Ukrainian counterparty Volodymyr Zelenskiy on his parliamentary victory as the leaders discussed the agenda of their first tet-a-tet.
- Russia warns Ukraine of 'consequences' after tanker seized Press TV 25 Jul 2019 -- Russia warns Ukraine that it will soon face "consequences" after the latter seized a Russian oil tanker, claiming it had been involved in a November naval confrontation with Kiev.
- Ukrainian Authorities Seize Russian Tanker Implicated In Sailors' Detention RFE/RL 25 Jul 2019 -- Ukraine's Security Service (SBU) says it has seized a Russian tanker that Moscow allegedly used to block three Ukrainian naval vessels before detaining them and 24 Ukrainian sailors in November near Crimea.
- Ukraine's SBU Detains Russian Tanker in Sea of Azov Sputnik 25 Jul 2019 -- The Russian Foreign Ministry said Thursday that Russia would retaliate urgently if Ukraine takes the Russians on the tanker hostage.
- Big Win For Zelenskiy's Party In Ukraine Elections Solidifies Mandate For Change RFE/RL 23 Jul 2019 -- President Volodymyr Zelenskiy's Servant of the People party appears to have secured a majority in Ukraine's parliamentary elections, solidifying his mandate for change.
- U.S. State Department 'Looks Forward' To Working With New Ukrainian Government RFE/RL 23 Jul 2019 -- The U.S. State Department said it looks forward to working with a new Ukrainian government after the political party of Ukrainian President Volodymyr Zelenskiy won an outright victory in the July 21 parliamentary elections.
- Ukraine's Parliamentary Elections US Dept. of State 23 Jul 2019
- Ukraine's president's party wins majority in snap parliamentary election Press TV 22 Jul 2019 -- The political party of Ukrainian President, Volodymyr Zelensky, has gained a record score in SNAP parliamentary elections, according to exit polls, but still needs to form a coalition.
- Servant Of The People Or Master? Big Parliamentary Win Hands Ukraine's New President A More Dominant Role RFE/RL 22 Jul 2019 -- His party is called Servant Of The People, but a historic parliamentary election win could hand Ukrainian President Volodymyr Zelenskiy a far more domineering role – and raise questions about how the comic actor will choose to play it.
- No Experience? No Problem: A Look At Some Of The New Faces In Ukraine's Parliament RFE/RL 22 Jul 2019 -- Ukraine's political establishment is on the verge of more groundbreaking change. After electing the comic-turned-politician Volodymyr Zelenskiy as president earlier this year, Ukrainians have voted in hundreds of new lawmakers in the country's snap parliamentary election on July 21.
- Best Supporting Actor? After Big Win, Ukrainian Comic-Turned-President Seeks Prime Minister RFE/RL 22 Jul 2019 -- Volodymyr Zelenskiy has steered his Servant Of The People party to a decisive parliamentary majority.
- Ukrainian President's Party On Course To Win Majority In Parliamentary Poll RFE/RL 22 Jul 2019 -- Servant of the People, the party of Ukrainian President Volodymyr Zelenskiy, appears on course to win a parliamentary majority after nearly 89 percent of votes have been counted, according to data from the Central Election Commission.
- Two Ukrainian Soldiers Killed On First Day Of Brokered Cease-Fire RFE/RL 22 Jul 2019 -- Ukraine's military on July 22 said that two soldiers were killed and as many wounded on the previous day when an unknown explosive device was set off by an "enemy sabotage and reconnaissance group."
- Zelenskiy's Party Set For Big Victory As Voters Approve Reform Agenda RFE/RL 21 Jul 2019 -- The party of Ukraine President Volodymyr Zelenskiy is set for a big win in snap parliamentary elections, exit polls show, as voters threw their support behind the former comic's pro-western reform agenda.
- Ukrainian President's Party Leads Parliamentary Vote - Exit Polls Sputnik 21 Jul 2019 -- The Servant of the People party of Ukrainian President Vladimir Zelensky leads the parliamentary vote with 43.9 per cent of the vote, the national exit poll published Sunday shows.
- Five Key Takeaways From Ukraine's Parliamentary Vote RFE/RL 21 Jul 2019 -- Ukrainian voters have spoken - yet again - and their message is loud and clear: they want change.
- Zelenskiy Says New Parliament Should Scrap Immunity As Snap Polls Under Way In Ukraine RFE/RL 21 Jul 2019 -- Turnout in Ukraine's snap parliamentary elections appeared low as President Volodymyr Zelenskiy seeks a mandate to push through long-awaited reforms.
- Renewal Or 'Revanche'? Buzzwords Of Ukraine's Parliamentary Elections Forecast Tension Following Vote RFE/RL 20 Jul 2019 -- Riding the wave of public anger over corruption, war, and low living standards that swept political newcomer Volodymyr Zelenskiy into the presidency in April, his Servant of the People party looks set to win by far the most parliament seats in the snap elections he scheduled for July 21.
- Zelenskiy Won Ukrainian Voters Over With Ease; Winning Trump Over May Be Tougher RFE/RL 19 Jul 2019 -- They are political novices who tapped public discontent to win presidential elections, arguably against all odds. They are also TV personalities with a knack for engaging their voters through social media and breaking political protocol.
- Ukrainian President's Office Proposes Sentsov, Vyshinsky Prisoner Swap RFE/RL 19 Jul 2019 -- Ukrainian President Volodymyr Zelenskiy's office has proposed a prisoner exchange with Russia involving Ukrainian filmmaker Oleh Sentsov, who is jailed in Russia, and Russian journalist Kirill Vyshinsky, who is in detention in Ukraine.
- Volker: Moscow's Passport Move For Donbas Residents Diverges From Peace Plan RFE/RL 19 Jul 2019 -- Kurt Volker, the special U.S. envoy to Ukraine, says Russia's move to fast-track the granting of citizenship to all residents of the Ukrainian regions of Donetsk and Luhansk runs counter to efforts to achieve peace in an armed conflict that is in its sixth year.
- Parliamentary Elections Put Ukraine at Political Crossroads VOA 19 Jul 2019 -- It was just months ago that a tidal wave of popular support carried a comedian who played the president on a popular sitcom to Ukraine's highest elected office, captivating a massive global audience in the process.
- U.S. Lawmakers Draft Sanctions On 24 Russians Over 24 Detained Ukrainian Sailors RFE/RL 18 Jul 2019 -- A bipartisan group of U.S. lawmakers dedicated to Ukrainian issues has introduced legislation to sanction members of Russia's Federal Security Service (FSB) over their roles in taking 24 Ukrainian crewmen captive last November near the Kerch Strait.
- As Soldiers Disengage, 'Fragile Hope' For Peace Appears In One Front-Line Ukrainian Town RFE/RL 18 Jul 2019 -- Beyond the series of checkpoints manned by armed guards with bomb-sniffing dogs in this battle-scarred town lies a mile-long stretch of no man's land that's one of most dangerous places in Ukraine.
- 'Without Further Delay': European Parliament Calls On Russia To Release Detained Ukrainians RFE/RL 18 Jul 2019 -- The European Parliament has overwhelmingly passed a resolution calling on Russian authorities "to release without further delay and unconditionally all illegally and arbitrarily detained Ukrainian citizens both in Russia and in the temporarily occupied territories of Ukraine."
- Putin Widens Citizenship Offer To All Residents Of Ukraine's Donetsk, Luhansk Regions RFE/RL 17 Jul 2019 -- Russian President Vladimir Putin has signed a decree expanding the simplified procedure for obtaining Russian citizenship for all residents of Ukraine's eastern Donetsk and Lugansk regions.
- Moscow Court Extends Pretrial Detention Of 24 Ukrainian Sailors RFE/RL 17 Jul 2019 -- A Moscow court has prolonged by three months the pretrial detention of 24 Ukrainian sailors detained by Russian forces along with their three naval vessels in November near the Kerch Strait, which links the Black Sea and Sea of Azov.
- Ukraine's Constitutional Court Upholds Law Equating Communism To Nazism RFE/RL 17 Jul 2019 -- Ukraine's Constitutional Court has upheld a law that equates communism to Nazism and bans the dissemination of its symbols, a law that has prompted angry protests from Moscow.
- Families, Countries Mark Fifth Anniversary Of MH17 Flight Downed Over Ukraine RFE/RL 17 Jul 2019 -- Relatives of victims killed in the 2014 downing of a passenger jet over Ukraine are marking the anniversary of the tragedy, an incident that international investigators have blamed on Russia and the separatist forces it backs in the region.
- Law On Ukraine State Language Comes Into Force RFE/RL 16 Jul 2019 -- The law on Ukraine's state language came into force on July 16, two months after former President Petro Poroshenko endorsed it days before leaving office.
- Ukrainian Official Says Agreement Reached On Prisoner Swap With Separatists RFE/RL 16 Jul 2019 -- Advisers to the leaders of Germany, France, Russia, and Ukraine -- the four countries part of the so-called Normandy format for talks aimed at ending the conflict in eastern Ukraine -- have reached an agreement on a prisoner swap between Kyiv and Russia-backed separatists, a senior Ukrainian official has said.
- When Russia-Backed Forces Boasted They Shot Down A Ukrainian Military Plane…That Was Actually MH17 RFE/RL 15 Jul 2019 -- The wreckage of Malaysia Airlines Flight MH17 was still smoldering in the countryside of eastern Ukraine, the remains of the 298 people aboard strewn across several kilometers of rolling fields of wheat and sunflowers, when Russian media began relaying news of a downed plane in the area.
- Russian, Ukrainian Officials Discuss Prisoner Swap RFE/RL 15 Jul 2019 -- Russian and Ukrainian officials say they are holding talks on a major prisoner swap just days after their countries' presidents discussed the conflict in eastern Ukraine and a possible prisoner exchange in their first telephone call.
- Russia's Putin discusses ending conflict in eastern Ukraine with president Zelenskiy Press TV 12 Jul 2019 -- Russian President Vladimir Putin has discussed settling the long-running conflict in eastern Ukraine with the country's new president Volodymyr Zelenskiy, in their first telephone conversation initiated by Kiev.
- Russian, Ukrainian Leaders Talk at Last VOA 12 Jul 2019 -- Russian President Vladimir Putin and his Ukrainian counterpart, Volodymyr Zelenskiy, on Friday held their first talks since the election of the Ukraine president last April – a 20-minute phone call noteworthy for its implications regarding efforts to end the simmering war between Kyiv and pro-Russian separatists in Ukraine's east.
- Ukrainian Soldier Killed In Clashes With Russia-Backed Separatists RFE/RL 11 Jul 2019 -- The government in Kyiv says one of its soldiers has been killed and nine others wounded in a battle with Russia-backed separatists in eastern Ukraine.
- Zelenskiy, Putin Discuss East Ukraine Conflict In First Phone Call RFE/RL 11 Jul 2019 -- Russian President Vladimir Putin and Ukrainian President Volodymyr Zelenskiy have held their first telephone call and discussed the conflict in eastern Ukraine as well as swapping prisoners.
- Wait, That's My Name: 'Clone Candidates' Fill Ukrainian Parliamentary Election Ballots RFE/RL 11 Jul 2019 -- If Ukraine's presidential elections marked the rise of the so-called "clone candidates," then its parliamentary elections mark their revenge.
- EU Court Annuls Yanukovych Asset Freezes RFE/RL 11 Jul 2019 -- The European Union's General Court on July 11 has annulled asset freezes imposed on former Ukrainian President Viktor Yanukovych, his son Oleksandr, and five other associates.
- Ukraine Inaugurates Its New Safe Confinement Dome Over Chernobyl Reactor Sputnik 11 Jul 2019 -- Thirty-three years after the precipitous reactor explosion, the Chernobyl Nuclear Power Plant now has a protective dome expected to last a century.
- Putin Held Phone Conversation With Zelenskyy on Ukrainian President's Initiative - Moscow Sputnik 11 Jul 2019 -- Russian President Vladimir Putin held a phone conversation with Ukrainian President Volodymyr Zelensky on the latter's initiative, Kremlin spokesman Dmitry Peskov said Thursday.
- Ukraine-Russia Tensions Spark Human Rights Debate VOA 11 Jul 2019 -- A U.N. report on extensive human rights violations in the Russian-backed separatist regions of eastern Ukraine and in the Russian-annexed Crimean peninsula has triggered a fiery debate at the U.N. human rights council.
- Ukraine to Buy More US Weapons Via Foreign Military Sales Program Sputnik 09 Jul 2019 -- The US is set to supply Kiev with new weapons, including two coast guard cutters, in a bid to bolster the country's military, a US diplomat in Ukraine announced Sunday.
- Ukrainian Soldier Killed In Clashes With Russia-Backed Separatists RFE/RL 08 Jul 2019 -- Kyiv says one of its soldiers has been killed and three others wounded in a battle with Russia-backed separatists in eastern Ukraine.
- Ukraine's Zelenskiy Calls On Putin To Meet Face-To-Face For Talks RFE/RL 08 Jul 2019 -- Ukrainian President Volodymyr Zelenskiy has called on Russian President Vladimir Putin to talk.
- Ukraine Requests U.S. Weapons Ahead Of Possible Trump-Zelenskiy Meeting RFE/RL 08 Jul 2019 -- Ukraine has formally requested to purchase U.S. military equipment for the first time as the nation continues to battle Russia-backed separatist formations in parts of two eastern provinces.
- Ukraine's Zelenskiy Calls for Putin, Trump to Join Peace Talks VOA 08 Jul 2019 -- Ukraine's newly elected President Volodymyr Zelenskiy is calling on Russian President Vladimir Putin to join in a new round of expanded-format peace talks that involve U.S. President Donald Trump and other Western leaders.
- Royal Navy destroyer HMS Duncan in Ukraine for major multinational maritime exercise UK MOD 07 Jul 2019 -- The Type 45 has docked in the Port of Odesa on the Black Sea alongside NATO Allies and partner nations for Exercise Sea Breeze 2019.
- Ukraine's 'Euro-Optimists' Blazed A Trail And Got Burned. In The Elections, Can They Rise From The Ashes? RFE/RL 06 Jul 2019 -- Surrounded by clucking chickens in the yard of a cottage without electricity and running water, lawmaker Svitlana Zalishchuk is a long way from the gilded halls of Ukraine's parliament and the hipster cafes of Kyiv -- her regular haunts for the past five years.
- US, Ukrainian divers participate in dive training, media day NNS 03 Jul 2019 -- Sailors assigned to Underwater Construction Team 1 participated in a July 2 media day focusing on dive mission capabilities during exercise Sea Breeze 2019 in Odesa, Ukraine.
- U.S. Envoy Demands Russia, 'Forces It Backs' Immediately End Fighting In Ukraine RFE/RL 02 Jul 2019 -- The U.S. charge d'affaires in Kyiv has condemned Russia-backed separatists in eastern Ukraine after reports of deadly attacks on medical personnel and called on Moscow and the "forces it backs" to end the fighting "immediately."
- Two Ukrainian Soldiers Killed In Clashes With Russia-Backed Separatists RFE/RL 02 Jul 2019 -- Ukraine says two of its soldiers have been killed and two others wounded in a battle with Russia-backed separatists in eastern Ukraine.
- Ukrainian President Seeks International Support At Conference In Canada RFE/RL 02 Jul 2019 -- Ukrainian President Volodymyr Zelenskiy is due to address a conference in Toronto on July 2 about the progress Ukraine has made combating corruption under a reform program launched in 2014.
- Russia-Backed Separatists Attack Ukrainian Medical Vehicle, Killing Soldier RFE/RL 01 Jul 2019 -- Ukraine says one of its soldiers has been killed after Russia-backed separatists opened fire at a medical vehicle in the eastern region of Donetsk.
- Zelenskiy Heads To Canada To Gather International Support For Ukraine RFE/RL 01 Jul 2019 -- Ukrainian President Volodymyr Zelenskiy is heading to Toronto for talks with top Canadian officials and to take part in an international conference aimed at gathering support for Ukraine's reform process and its path toward Euro-Atlantic integration.
Join the GlobalSecurity.org mailing list