Weapons of Mass Destruction (WMD)
October 2018 - Ukraine Special Weapons News
- Russia, Western Powers Clash At UN Over Elections In Eastern Ukraine RFE/RL 31 Oct 2018 -- Russia has clashed with the United States and European powers at the United Nations over the legality of elections in areas of eastern Ukraine held by Moscow-backed separatists.
- Exercise 'utmost restraint' in eastern Ukraine to safeguard civilian life, top UN official urges fighters on the ground UN News 30 Oct 2018 -- After a lull in fighting in Ukraine over the summer, the last few weeks have seen a sharp rise in civilian deaths, more than half of which are due to landmines and explosive remnants of war, the United Nations top political official said on Tuesday.
- European Parliament Urges Tough Stand On Russia Over Sea Of Azov 'Blockade' RFE/RL 25 Oct 2018 -- The European Parliament has urged EU states to make clear to Russia that it will face tougher measures if it intensifies its "de facto blockade" of international shipping in the Sea of Azov.
- Putin Signs Decree On 'Special Economic Measures' Against Ukraine RFE/RL 22 Oct 2018 -- Russian President Vladimir Putin has signed a decree setting the stage for "special economic measures" in response to what the document calls Ukraine's "unfriendly actions" against Russian citizens and companies.
- Russia's Putin orders sanctions against Ukraine Press TV 23 Oct 2018 -- Russian President Vladimir Putin has signed a decree allowing punitive measures against Ukraine in response to sanctions by Kiev against individuals and legal entities in Russia.
- Ukraine, IMF Reach Deal On New $4 Billion Loan RFE/RL 19 Oct 2018 -- The International Monetary Fund said it had reached a new agreement with Ukraine, paving the way for a fresh $4 billion loan.
- U.S. Envoy: No Progress Ending Ukraine War As Putin Waits For Kyiv Elections RFE/RL 19 Oct 2018 -- The U.S. special envoy for Ukraine, Kurt Volker, says he does not expect progress anytime soon toward ending the conflict in eastern Ukraine because Russia appears to be waiting for possible changes coming out of the Ukrainian elections.
- Defence Secretary welcomes Qatari counterpart to UK UK MOD 19 Oct 2018 -- The UK and Qatar's Defence relationship is closer than ever, the Defence Secretary has reaffirmed, as production starts on Typhoon fighter jets that will be sold to the Gulf nation.
- Ukrainian Air Force Confirms Death of US Serviceman in Su-27 Crash Sputnik 17 Oct 2018 -- The Ukrainian Air Force has confirmed that a member of the US Air National Guard was among two crew members who died in a recent crash of a Ukrainian Su-27 fighter jet in the Vinnytsia Region in west-central Ukraine.
- Pentagon Confirms Death Of U.S. Airman In Ukrainian Fighter Jet Crash RFE/RL 17 Oct 2018 -- The U.S. military has confirmed that a California-based airman was killed in the crash of a two-seat Ukrainian fighter jet during a joint exercise with NATO air forces in Ukraine.
- Two Pilots Die In Ukrainian Fighter Jet Crash, U.S. Pilot 'Involved' RFE/RL 16 Oct 2018 -- A two-seat Ukrainian fighter jet has crashed during a joint exercise with NATO air forces, killing both the pilot and co-pilot, Ukraine's military says.
- Two Pilots Die Following Su-27 Fighter Jet Crash in Ukraine - General Staff Sputnik 16 Oct 2018 -- The Su-27 fighter jet has crashed near the village of Ulanov (Vinniitskaya region) during the execution of a combat training flight, the press service of the General Staff of the Ukrainian Armed Forces reported on Tuesday.
- Russian Orthodox Church Holds Synod In Minsk Over Ukraine Church Issue RFE/RL 15 Oct 2018 -- Leaders of the Russian Orthodox Church were meeting in the Belarusian capital on October 15 amid a dispute over moves toward independence for the Orthodox Church in Ukraine.
- Russian Orthodox Church Breaks Ties With Constantinople Patriarchate RFE/RL 15 Oct 2018 -- The Russian Orthodox Church has decided to end its relationship with the Ecumenical Patriarchate of Constantinople in protest over its endorsement of Ukraine's request for an autocephalous, or independent, church.
- Russian Church Official Says 'Impossible' To Remain United With Ecumenical Patriarchate RFE/RL 13 Oct 2018 -- The Russian Orthodox Church says a decision about the Ukrainian Orthodox Church made by the synod of the Constantinople Patriarchate has forced the Moscow Patriarchate to end its unity with Ecumenical Patriarch Bartholomew of Constantinople, the Istanbul-based spiritual leader of the world's Orthodox Christians.
- What Comes Next As Ukrainian Orthodox Church Pushes For Independence From Moscow? RFE/RL 13 Oct 2018 -- The striving of many Ukrainian Orthodox believers to gain independence for their national church from the Russian Orthodox Church has been simmering since the collapse of the Soviet Union.li>
- Russia warns 'red line' crossed after Ukraine church split Press TV 12 Oct 2018 -- The head of global Orthodox Christianity has recognized Ukrainian churches as independent from the Russian Orthodox Church, sparking cheers in Kiev amid criticisms that Moscow had been trying to promote political influence through its churches.
- Prayers Answered: Ukrainians Greet Church Split With Open Arms, Despite Moscow's Warnings RFE/RL 12 Oct 2018 -- "The Lord has seen the struggle of the Ukrainian people for their independence. He has heard our prayers."
- Amid Church Rift, Kremlin Vows To 'Protect Interests' Of Faithful In Ukraine RFE/RL 12 Oct 2018 -- The Kremlin has issued a fresh warning following a key step in Kyiv's quest for an independent church that is recognized by the Orthodox Christian leadership, saying Russia will protect the interests of the faithful in Ukraine if the historic split leads to illegal action or violence.
- Putin Discusses Orthodox Church Crisis in Ukraine with Russian Security Council Sputnik 12 Oct 2018 -- Ukrainian authorities and two rival churches have agreed to work together to avert religious strife after the leader of the Eastern Orthodoxy recognized Kiev's religious independence.
- U.S. Special Envoy Urges Moscow Not To Back 'Illegitimate Elections' In Eastern Ukraine RFE/RL 11 Oct 2018 -- The U.S. special envoy for Ukraine has said that elections planned by Russia-backed separatists in eastern Ukraine are illegitimate and urged Moscow not to endorse them.
- Ecumenical Patriarchate Recognizes Independence Of Ukrainian Church RFE/RL 11 Oct 2018 -- The Ecumenical Patriarchate of Constantinople has agreed to recognize the independence of the Ukrainian Orthodox Church, a move immediately hailed by Ukrainian President Petro Poroshenko but slammed as "catastrophic" by Moscow.
- Russian Orthodox Church Forced to End Eucharistic Ties With Constantinople Sputnik 11 Oct 2018 -- Previously, a representative of the Constantinople Patriarchate announced that the synod of the church had decided to lift the anathema of two leaders of schismatic churches in Ukraine and return the metropolia under Constantinople's jurisdiction.
- Tanks, Aircraft Used To Battle Fire At Ukrainian Arms Depot RFE/RL 10 Oct 2018 -- Kyiv says it has sent in specialized tanks and aircraft to fight a massive fire as explosions continued at an arms depot in northern Ukraine on October 10.
- Ukraine evacuating 10,000 after ammo depot blasts Press TV 09 Oct 2018 -- Multiple blasts and an ensuing fire at an ammunition depot in northern Ukraine has prompted the compulsory evacuation of nearly 10,000 people in the area.
- Thousands Evacuated As Blasts, Blaze Rip Through Ukraine Ammo Dump RFE/RL 09 Oct 2018 -- An intense series of explosions and a fast-moving fire ripped through an ammunition depot in Ukraine, prompting the evacuation of thousands of people and igniting suspicions of sabotage in a country mired in a simmering war with Russia-backed separatists.
- Ukraine Launches Air Exercises With NATO Countries RFE/RL 08 Oct 2018 -- Ukraine has opened a series of large-scale air-force exercises with the United States and seven other NATO countries, the Ukrainian Defense Ministry says.
- Alleged Russian Hackers Suspected of Stealing Belgian Report on Ukraine - Report Sputnik 05 Oct 2018 -- Russian hackers who allegedly sabotaged the computer systems of the Organisation for the Prohibition of Chemical Weapons (OPCW) in the Netherlands may be responsible for stealing a confidential report on Ukraine from the Belgian Foreign Ministry in 2014, the Belga news agency reported on Friday.
- U.S. Senate Passes Resolution On Ukraine Famine, A Move Hailed by Kyiv RFE/RL 04 Oct 2018 -- The U.S. Senate has backed a resolution on the 1930s-era Ukrainian famine known as the Holodomor, a move hailed by Ukrainian President Petro Poroshenko.
Join the GlobalSecurity.org mailing list