Weapons of Mass Destruction (WMD)
September 2018 - Ukraine Special Weapons News
- Four People Injured In Donetsk Explosion RFE/RL 29 Sep 2018 -- At least four people, including a candidate for the head of the Russia-backed formation called the Donetsk People's Republic (DPR), have been injured in an explosion in Donetsk.
- Russian Orthodox Church Threatens Break With Istanbul-Based Patriarchate RFE/RL 28 Sep 2018 -- The Russian Orthodox Church is threatening to sever ties with the leader of the worldwide Orthodox community if he grants autonomy to Ukraine's Orthodox Church.
- U.S., Ukrainian Officials Discuss Efforts To Counter Russia's 'Malign Influence' RFE/RL 26 Sep 2018 -- A top U.S. official has met with the Ukrainian foreign minister in New York to discuss "cooperative efforts against Russia's malign influence," among other things, the State Department says.
- Russia Beefs Up Crimea Defense With Another Battalion of S-400s Sputnik 21 Sep 2018 -- There are now three battalions of the advanced Russian air defense system stationed in the Crimean peninsula, which is a major strategic strongpoint for the military and the home of Russia's Black Sea Fleet.
- Defence Secretary announces extension of support to Ukraine's Armed Forces UK MOD 21 Sep 2018 -- Defence Secretary Gavin Williamson has reaffirmed the United Kingdom's commitment to Ukraine in visit to Marinka and Kyiv
- Ukraine's Top Court To Review Constitutional Amendments On EU, NATO Membership Goal RFE/RL 20 Sep 2018 -- Ukrainian lawmakers have voted to submit draft bills to the country's top court that would enshrine Ukraine's course toward Euro-Atlantic integration in the constitution.
- Ukraine's Poroshenko Sees 'Risk' Of Russia Sanctions Easing RFE/RL 20 Sep 2018 -- Ukrainian President Petro Poroshenko has warned that there is a risk of international sanctions imposed on Russia for its actions in Ukraine being eased.
- Ukraine to Build Naval Base Along Turbulent Azov Sea Sputnik 18 Sep 2018 -- The Ukrainian government announced on Sunday plans for a naval base along the Sea of Azov, a body of water situated between Crimea, Ukraine and Russia.
- Russia's fresh 'proof' shows Kiev missile downed MH17 flight Press TV 17 Sep 2018 -- Russia's Defense Ministry has released fresh information showing that the missile which shot down a Malaysia Airlines flight over the conflict-ridden eastern Ukraine in 2014 was fired by Kiev forces, refuting evidence by an investigation group that pointed the finger of blame at the Kremlin.
- In New Claim, Moscow Says MH17 Missile Came From Ukraine; Kyiv Cries 'Fake' RFE/RL 17 Sep 2018 -- The Russian military has made a new claim about the downing of a passenger jet over the war zone in eastern Ukraine in 2014, asserting that the missile that brought Malaysia Airlines Flight 17 down was sent to Soviet Ukraine after it was made in 1986 and never returned to Russia.
- Russian Military Reveals Evidence Proving Ukraine's Involvement in MH17 Crash Sputnik 17 Sep 2018 -- New details have emerged about the tragic fate of the Malaysian Airlines Boeing 777 that crashed in eastern Ukraine in July 2014.
- Moscow Regrets Ukraine's Termination Treaty of Friendship With Russia Sputnik 17 Sep 2018 -- Ukrainian President Petro Poroshenko has executed a decision endorsed by his National Security and Defense Council to scrap the Russian–Ukrainian friendship treaty, his administration's press service said in a statement.
- DPR Head's Murder Committed With Assistance of Western Intel Services Sputnik 15 Sep 2018 -- One man was detained on suspicion of involvement in the assassination of the head of the self-proclaimed Donetsk People's Republic (DPR) Alexander Zakharchenko, he gave testimony, the republic's acting head Denis Pushilin told journalists.
- Russian Orthodox Church Warns Of Violence As It 'Cuts Ties' With Bartholomew RFE/RL 15 Sep 2018 -- The Russian Orthodox Church has announced it will no longer take part in structures chaired by the Ecumenical Patriarchate of Constantinople and that a deepening row in Orthodox Christianity over the Ukrainian Church's bid to formally break away from Russia's orbit may lead to violence.
- U.S. Condemns Separatist Plan For 'Elections' In Eastern Ukraine RFE/RL 13 Sep 2018 -- The United States has joined the European Union in condemning plans by Russia-backed separatists in eastern Ukraine to hold "elections," calling them "phony procedures" that undermine peace efforts in the region.
- EU Court Upholds Sanctions On Russian Energy Companies, Banks RFE/RL 13 Sep 2018 -- The European Union's General Court has upheld the bloc's sanctions regime against Russian bank and energy companies over Russia's involvement in the crisis in Ukraine.
- EU Prolongs Russia Sanctions Until March 2019 RFE/RL 13 Sep 2018 -- The European Union has extended by another six months visa bans and asset freeze against 155 Russian and Ukrainian individuals, as well as 44 companies, for undermining or threatening the independence of Ukraine.
- EU Calls On Russia To Halt Separatist 'Elections' In Donbas RFE/RL 08 Sep 2018 -- European Union foreign policy chief Federica Mogherini has criticized a plan by Russia-backed separatists in eastern Ukraine to hold elections and has called on Moscow to use its influence to stop the vote from taking place.
- Separatists In Ukraine's Donetsk Choose Zakharchenko Successor RFE/RL 07 Sep 2018 -- Denis Pushilin, the chairman of the "people's council" of the Russia-backed separatist formation called the Donetsk People's Republic (DNR) in eastern Ukraine, has been selected as the acting head of the DNR.
- U.S., EU Warn Ukraine Ruling Endangers Press Freedom, Corruption Fight RFE/RL 05 Sep 2018 -- The United States, the European Union, and international media watchdogs have expressed concern over a Ukrainian court ruling that gives the authorities access to the cellphone data of an RFE/RL investigative reporter spanning a period of 17 months.
- US receives advanced air defense radar from Ukraine Press TV 03 Sep 2018 -- The US Army has received an advanced air defense radar system it bought from Ukraine, after a firm allegedly linked to Russia tried to block the sale.
- Ukraine-NATO Joint Military Exercises Begin In Western Region Of Lviv RFE/RL 03 Sep 2018 -- Ukraine has begun joint military exercises with 10 NATO countries in western Ukraine amid ongoing tensions with Russia over Moscow's illegal annexation of the Crimean Peninsula and the ongoing conflict in eastern Ukraine between government forces and Russia-backed separatists.
- Tens Of Thousands Attend Funeral For Slain Ukraine Separatist Leader Zakharchenko RFE/RL 02 Sep 2018 -- Tens of thousands of people gathered on September 2 in the separatist stronghold of Donetsk in eastern Ukraine to mourn a top rebel leader who was recently killed in a bomb attack.
- US ready to boost lethal arms supplies to Ukraine: Envoy Press TV 01 Sep 2018 -- A US diplomat to Ukraine says Washington will provide Kiev with more lethal weapons to help build up its naval and air forces in the face of what they call Russian threat.
- Moscow denies Hollande's claim that Putin threatened to 'crush' Ukraine troops Press TV 01 Sep 2018 -- Moscow has denied a claim made by former French president Francois Hollande in his memoirs that Russian President Vladimir Putin had threatened to "crush" Ukrainian troops.
- Russia, Ukraine Trade Blame Over Zakharchenko Killing RFE/RL 01 Sep 2018 -- Ukraine and Russia are trading blame for the killing of a top separatist leader in eastern Ukraine.
- Volker Says U.S. Ready To Widen Arms Supplies To Ukraine RFE/RL 01 Sep 2018 -- The United States is ready to widen arms supplies to Ukraine to help build up the country's naval and air defense forces in the face of continuing Russian support for eastern separatists, the U.S. special envoy for Ukraine told The Guardian.
- Second Person Dies In Donetsk Cafe Blast That Killed Separatist Leader Zakharchenko RFE/RL 01 Sep 2018 -- The leadership of the pro-Russia separatists in eastern Ukraine has been thrown into disarray after the head of the so-called Donetsk People's Republic was killed in an explosion at a cafe designed to honor the separatists.
- Kremlin slams pro-Russia leader's murder as a 'provocation' against peace Press TV 01 Sep 2018 -- Russian President Vladimir Putin's spokesman has denounced the murder of pro-Russia forces' leader in eastern Ukraine as a "provocation" that will undermine a Western-brokered peace agreement.
Join the GlobalSecurity.org mailing list