Weapons of Mass Destruction (WMD)
April 2018 - Ukraine Special Weapons News
- U.S. Confirms Delivery Of Javelin Antitank Missiles To Ukraine RFE/RL 30 Apr 2018 -- The United States has confirmed to RFE/RL its delivery of American-made, Javelin antitank missile systems to Ukraine in a move that is welcome in Kyiv but will almost certainly enrage Moscow amid a four-year conflict that pits Russia-backed separatists against Ukrainian national troops.
- US State Department Confirms Delivering Javelin Missile Systems to Ukraine Sputnik 30 Apr 2018 -- The US Department of State has confirmed delivery of Javelin anti-tank missile systems to Ukraine, a department spokesperson told Sputnik on Monday.
- At NATO Ministerial, US Officials Call for Crimea's Return to Ukraine VOA 27 Apr 2018 -- A top U.S. official said Friday that NATO foreign ministers would refuse to "return to business as usual with Russia" until Moscow "withdraws forces and support for proxies in the Donbas, and returns control of Crimea to Ukraine."
- IOM Appeals for $38M to Help Conflict-Affected People in Ukraine VOA 18 Apr 2018 -- The International Organization for Migration is appealing for $38 million to aid 340,000 conflict-affected people in Ukraine. That is a 50 percent increase over the number of people the agency has been assisting since Russian-backed rebels in Eastern Ukraine began fighting for a separate state four years ago.
- UN agency launches appeal to reach over 340,000 with assistance in crisis-struck Ukraine UN News 17 Apr 2018 -- Amid critical humanitarian needs in eastern Ukraine, the United Nations migration agency on Tuesday launched a $38 million funding appeal to reach more than 340,000 people with assistance this year – a sharp increase over the number reached to date.
- Ukraine Rejects Russian Gas Offer VOA 12 Apr 2018 -- Ukraine this week dismissed as unacceptable a natural gas transit proposal by Russian energy giant Gazprom. Kyiv's move will further complicate efforts by Western European governments to persuade their Central European counterparts to withdraw objections to Nord Stream 2, a Kremlin-favored pipeline being built under the Baltic Sea to deliver gas from Russia to Germany without transiting Ukraine and Poland.
- Ukraine Announces Plans To Quit CIS, Terminate Parts Of Russia Friendship Treaty RFE/RL 12 Apr 2018 -- Ukrainian President Petro Poroshenko has announced plans to quit the Commonwealth of Independent States (CIS) and terminate parts of a friendship treaty with Russia.
- Arrested Ukrainian Lawmaker Savchenko's Home, Office Searched RFE/RL 10 Apr 2018 -- Ukrainian law enforcement officers have searched the home and office of lawmaker Nadia Savchenko, who is in jail pending trial on charges of plotting a terrorist attack on parliament with grenades and automatic weapons.
- Merkel: New Pipeline Impossible Without Clarity For Ukraine RFE/RL 10 Apr 2018 -- German Chancellor Angela Merkel has said that a new natural-gas pipeline linking Russia with Germany cannot go ahead without clarity on Ukraine's role as a gas transit route.
- 'Person A' In His Own Words: On The Record With Shadowy Operative In Russia Probe RFE/RL 06 Apr 2018 -- Person A loves good wine and craft beer, frequents Kyiv's finest restaurants, speaks impeccable Russian, English, and Swedish, and may be a linchpin in the sprawling U.S. criminal investigation into Russia's efforts to influence the 2016 presidential election.
- US to Supply Ukrainian Army With Sniper Equipment – Reports Sputnik 05 Apr 2018 -- The US authorities made a decision to provide the Ukrainian military with a batch of sniper equipment, the Ukrainian UNIAN news agency reported, citing US Senator Rob Portman said on Thursday.
- U.S. Senator: New Antitank Weapons For Ukraine Will Help Bring Peace RFE/RL 02 Apr 2018 -- A top U.S. senator says advanced U.S. antitank weapons will allow Ukraine to better defend itself against Russian aggression as the conflict there enters its fifth year.
Join the GlobalSecurity.org mailing list