Weapons of Mass Destruction (WMD)
June 2017 - Ukraine Special Weapons News
- Ukraine Detains Two Russian FSB Agents Who Came Ashore From Black Sea RFE/RL 30 Jun 2017 -- Ukrainian authorities have detained two men identified as Russian security agents after they came ashore in a small boat on Ukrainian-government controlled territory along the Black Sea, officials of both countries say.
- Ukraine Is 'Ground Zero' For Hackers In Global Cyberattacks RFE/RL 28 Jun 2017 -- Ukraine's heavy reliance on Russian technology impairs its ability to adequately defend against cyberattacks such as the Petya virus ravaging computers around the world and has helped make the country ground zero on the front lines of the global cyberwar.
- Ukraine, Russia, Poland Still Grappling With Major New Ransomware Attack RFE/RL 28 Jun 2017 -- Companies across the world are still grappling with the effects of a major new ransomware cyberattack that struck their computer systems, with Ukrainian firms and government sites among the worst hit.
- Colonel In Ukrainian Military Intelligence Killed In Kyiv Car Bombing RFE/RL 27 Jun 2017 -- A colonel in Ukraine's armed forces has been killed in a car bombing in Kyiv that authorities are investigating as a "terrorist attack."
- Clearing the way for progress in Ukraine Army News 27 Jun 2017 -- Over the course of the last century, six different flags have flown over what is now the Yavoriv Combat Training Center on the International Peacekeeping and Security Center, near Yavoriv, in modern-day Ukraine.
- Ukraine targeted by worst cyber attack in its history Press TV 27 Jun 2017 -- Ukraine has been targeted by the worst cyber attack in its history after a ransomware caused outages on computer networks of the country's government and other key organizations.
- 'Unprecedented' Cyberattack Hits Ukraine, Affects Other Countries RFE/RL 27 Jun 2017 -- Ukrainian Prime Minister Volodymyr Hroysman says his country is suffering an "unprecedented" cyberattack but that "vital systems" are not being affected.
- Cyberattacks Spread From Ukraine to Europe, US VOA 27 Jun 2017 -- What Ukraine's prime minister calls an "unprecedented" cyberattack in his country has begun to spread beyond Ukraine's borders.
- Macron, Poroshenko Voice Hope Of Progress In Resolving Ukraine Crisis RFE/RL 26 Jun 2017 -- After meeting in Paris, the French and Ukrainian presidents have voiced hope of making progress in resolving the conflict between government forces and Russia-backed separatists in eastern Ukraine.
- Contact Group on Ukraine Agrees on Donbass Ceasefire From June 24 Sputnik 21 Jun 2017 -- The Trilateral Contact Group on Ukraine supported the idea of the so-called 'grain ceasefire' - a ceasefire regime for harvesting, starting from 00-00 on June 24 in Donbass, according to the press service of the self-proclaimed Donetsk People's Republic's plenipotentiary representative at the Minsk talks Denis Pushilin.
- Deaths, Injuries Mount as Ukraine Conflict Enters 4th Year: OHCHR VOA 21 Jun 2017 -- With the conflict in Ukraine now in its fourth year casualties have mounted substantially in recent months, according to a new report by the Office of the United Nations High Commissioner for Human Rights.
- Readout of Secretary of Defense Jim Mattis' meeting with Ukrainian President Petro Poroshenko DoD 20 Jun 2017
- Remarks by Secretary Mattis and President Poroshenko at the Pentagon DoD 20 Jun 2017 -- Presenter: Secretary of Defense Jim Mattis; Ukrainian President Petro Poroshenko
- Ukraine's Poroshenko Hails Domestic Reforms As He Pushes Trump For Support RFE/RL 20 Jun 2017 -- Ukrainian President Petro Poroshenko has praised his country's commitment to reforms as he meets with U.S. President Donald Trump at the White House.
- US Supports Ukraine's Pro-War Factions by Expanding Sanctions - Moscow Sputnik 20 Jun 2017 -- Russian Deputy Foreign Minister Sergey Ryabkov said that Washington is consciously 'pouring water on the watermill of the war party in Kiev' by expanding anti-Russian sanctions.
- Trump Says Much Progress Made in Discussions With Poroshenko Sputnik 20 Jun 2017 -- The leaders of the United States and Ukraine have started their conversation in Washington.
- Mr. Poroshenko Goes To Washington: What To Expect From The Ukrainian Leader's First Meeting With Trump RFE/RL 19 Jun 2017 -- Ukrainian President Petro Poroshenko may have pulled off a small coup in winning an audience with U.S. President Donald Trump before Russian leader Vladimir Putin could.
- Hundreds of thousands in eastern Ukraine at grave risk after water supplies disrupted - UN aid chief UN News 14 Jun 2017 -- Raising alarm over lack of safe drinking water for hundreds of thousands of people on both sides of the so called contact line in Donetsk Oblast of eastern Ukraine since 11 June, the top United Nations relief official today called on all parties to the conflict to abide by their obligations under international law and ensure that civilian areas and infrastructure are not targeted.
- Civil War in Ukraine May Stop if Kiev Implements Minsk Deal - Kremlin Sputnik 13 Jun 2017 -- Kiev is able to stop the civil war in Ukraine if it makes efforts to implement the Minsk deal, the Kremlin said.
- Conflict in Ukraine enters fourth year 'with no end in sight' - UN report UN News 13 Jun 2017 -- Warring parties in eastern Ukraine have repeatedly failed to implement ceasefire agreements, allowing hostilities to escalate and the cumulative death toll to exceed 10,000 as the conflict entered its fourth year, a new United Nations report reveals.
- With US help, Ukraine may put brigades through new combat training center by 2018 Army News 12 Jun 2017 -- By 2018, Ukrainian brigades will be better equipped to face separatists in the Donbass region after rotating through a combat training center in western Ukraine that the California National Guard helped to establish.
- Crimean Tatar Leader Umerov Goes On Trial On Separatism Charge RFE/RL 07 Jun 2017 -- A Crimean Tatar leader who has criticized Russia's seizure of the Black Sea peninsula from Ukraine has gone on trial on June 7.
- Cybersleuths Say Convoy Movements Show Link To MH17 Plane Crash RFE/RL 05 Jun 2017 -- A team of open-source researchers investigating the crash of Malaysia Airlines Flight 17 has published reports linking the movements of Russian military equipment to the plane's downing.
Join the GlobalSecurity.org mailing list