Weapons of Mass Destruction (WMD)
October 2016 - Ukraine Special Weapons News
- Assets On Parade: Ukraine Officials Made To Declare Their Bling RFE/RL 31 Oct 2016 -- Fast cars and fancy watches. Faberge eggs and vintage wine. Prime real estate, including a church. Even a ticket to space.
- 6 people, including 3 civilians, killed in east Ukraine clashes Press TV 28 Oct 2016 -- Six people, including three civilians, have been killed in clashes between Ukrainian forces and pro-Russians in eastern Ukraine.
- Kremlin Brushes Off E-Mail Leak Allegedly Showing Russian Hand In Ukraine Conflict RFE/RL 26 Oct 2016 -- The Kremlin has challenged the authenticity of leaked e-mails purportedly from the inbox of presidential aide Vladislav Surkov that appear to show the Russian government's coordination with separatists in eastern Ukraine.
- Back In Russia, Savchenko Supports Jailed Ukrainians At Supreme Court RFE/RL 26 Oct 2016 -- Ukrainian lawmaker Nadia Savchenko traveled to Moscow to support two jailed compatriots appealing their convictions at Russia's Supreme Court, a surprise trip that was widely believed to be her first visit to Russia since the former captive returned home in a swap deal.
- Putin: Crimean Integration Into Russian Legal Framework Goes Forward Sputnik 26 Oct 2016 -- The integration of Crimea into the Russian legal and administrative systems is a complex process, but the majority of the key issues have already been addressed, Russian President Vladimir Putin said Wednesday.
- Armed OSCE Mission Could Be Deployed Along Donbass Contact Line - Russian Envoy Sputnik 26 Oct 2016 -- The Russian envoy to the Ukraine contact group said that an OSCE mission with armed members could be deployed along the line of disengagement on Donbass.
- Ukraine Agrees to Provide India With Engines for Russian Built Krivak Frigate Sputnik 25 Oct 2016 -- Krivak class frigates will be powered by M90FR gas turbines designed and built by Zorya-Mashproekt in Ukraine. Following the Russia-Ukraine conflict, Ukraine had stopped the supply of the engines.
- Ukraine to Start Active Phase of Nuclear Waste Storage Construction in 2017 Sputnik 24 Oct 2016 -- Ukraine is going to start active phase of construction works at its Centralized Spent Fuel Storage Facility (CSFSF) in the Chernobyl Nuclear Power Plant Zone of Alienation in March 2017, the press service of Ukraine's Energoatom nuclear corporation said on Monday.
- Russia Revived Crimean Shipyards, Defense Companies in 2.5 Years - Deputy PM Sputnik 21 Oct 2016 -- Moscow has brought shipyards and defense companies in Crimea back to life during the last two years and a half, as contrasted to Kiev's activities in regard to them, Russian Deputy Prime Minister Dmitry Rogozin said Friday.
- Joint press point with NATO Secretary General Jens Stoltenberg and the President of Ukraine, Petro Poroshenko NATO 20 Oct 2016
- Russian leader backs armed OSCE mission in east Ukraine Press TV 20 Oct 2016 -- The Russian president has voiced support for the deployment of an armed monitoring mission to monitor the truce in the conflict-torn areas of eastern Ukraine.
- Crises talks between Russia, Ukraine, France, Germany wrap up in Berlin Press TV 20 Oct 2016 -- Russian President Vladimir Putin says Moscow is prepared to extend a humanitarian ceasefire in Syria's Aleppo.
- Russia, Ukraine Agree To Draft New Road Map Carrying Out Peace Deal RFE/RL 19 Oct 2016 -- The leaders of Ukraine, Germany, France, and Russia agreed to draw up a road map by the end of next month to carry out the Minsk peace agreement for eastern Ukraine.
- Agreement to Send Armed European Police Force to Eastern Ukraine VOA 19 Oct 2016 -- Ukrainian President Petro Poroshenko says an agreement was reached Thursday on sending an armed OSCE police mission to separatist eastern Ukraine to help enforce the Minsk peace accords.
- Germany Hosts Meeting to Review Minsk Agreements on Ukraine VOA 19 Oct 2016 -- Leaders of Germany, Russia, Ukraine and France have gathered in Berlin for four-way talks in efforts to revive the stalled Minsk peace agreement aimed at reaching a political settlement in eastern Ukraine.
- Presidents of France, Germany, Ukraine and Russia to discuss Minsk deal Press TV 18 Oct 2016 -- The Presidents of Germany, France, Russia and Ukraine have agreed to hold a Normandy format summit in the German capital to discuss the latest developments surrounding the Minsk deal on the crisis in eastern Ukraine.
- Ukrainian Anticorruption Activists Dare 'Sissy Pants' Officials To Declare Assets RFE/RL 18 Oct 2016 -- Ukrainians are attempting to shame top public officials into disclosing their financial assets by calling those who don't "sissy pants."
- Pro-Russia commander killed in bombing in eastern Ukraine Press TV 17 Oct 2016 -- A top commander of pro-Russia forces has been killed in a bombing in eastern Ukraine, local authorities say, accusing the Kiev government over his death.
- Separatists Vow Revenge After Top Commander Killed In Eastern Ukraine RFE/RL 17 Oct 2016 -- An unruly commander of Russia-backed separatist forces in eastern Ukraine who once boasted about having killed captive soldiers has died in Donetsk in an apparent assassination, the latest in a spate of killings that the separatists blame on Kyiv but that others suspect have been carried out by Russia.
- Murder of Donetsk Militia Commander Threatens to Reignite Ukraine's Civil War Sputnik 17 Oct 2016 -- On Sunday night, Donetsk People's Republic militia commander Arseny Pavlov, aka Motorola, was killed in an explosion of an elevator in a Donetsk high-rise. DPR leader Alexander Zakharchenko called the attack a declaration of war by Kiev. Analysts warn that the brazen attack could lead to a resumption of hostilities.
- Ukrainian Nationalists Stage Torchlight March In Kyiv As New Far-Right Party Is Born RFE/RL 14 Oct 2016 -- Thousands of nationalists have marched through Kyiv in a torchlight procession to celebrate Ukrainian fighters past and present on a day that saw a fearsome far-right military force formally enter the country's political fray.
- Ukrainian Troops Launch Offensive in South of Donetsk People's Republic Sputnik 14 Oct 2016 -- A company-sized group Ukrainian troops launched an attack on the Donetsk People's Republic in violation of the existing ceasefire agreement.
- Minsk Agreements Are Ukraine's Chance for 'Salvation' - Russian OSCE Envoy Sputnik 14 Oct 2016 -- The Ukrainian government continues to conceal its domestic issues with so-called Russian aggression, hindering progress in carrying out reconciliation agreements, Russia's permanent representative to the Organization for Security and Co-operation in Europe (OSCE) said Friday.
- French President Hollande urges detailed road map on Ukrainian conflict Press TV 13 Oct 2016 -- French President Francois Hollande has called for a detailed road map for the settlement of the Ukrainian conflict.
- More Crimean Tatars Detained By Russia-Installed Security Forces RFE/RL 12 Oct 2016 -- Several Crimean Tatars have been detained in Ukraine's occupied Crimea region after Russian-installed security forces searched their houses in several villages.
- Russian Duma to Review Bill to Add Crimean Waters to Special Economic Zone Sputnik 11 Oct 2016 -- A bill to make inland waters and territorial sea along Crimean shoreline part of a local special economic zone was submitted to the Russian State Duma, the latter said Tuesday in a statement.
- Ukraine Detains Alleged Russian Spy RFE/RL 10 Oct 2016 -- Ukrainian authorities say a Ukrainian citizen with permanent residence in Russia has been detained in the northwestern city of Rivne.
- 'The Potential is Zero and There's No Money': Ukraine Can't Create Its Own Plane Sputnik 07 Oct 2016 -- Ukraine has lost its military-industrial potential and is unable to create a domestically made aircraft, according to Sergey Pashinsky, head of the Ukrainian parliament's Committee on National Security and Defense.
- Gov't Troops, Donetsk Militia Begin Petrivske Pullout in East Ukraine Sputnik 07 Oct 2016 -- According to reports, Ukraine government troops and self-proclaimed Donetsk People's Republic (DPR) militia have begun withdrawals from the Petrivske disengagement area.
- Ukrainian Army, Separatists Withdraw From Flashpoint Town RFE/RL 02 Oct 2016 -- The Ukrainian military and Russia-backed separatists in eastern Ukraine have announced a pullback from a frontline city as agreed upon in a demilitarization deal agreed to last month.
- Australian FM: MH17 Suspects To Be Known In Months And Prosecuted RFE/RL 02 Oct 2016 -- Australian Foreign Minister Julie Bishop says the people responsible for shooting down Malaysia Airlines flight MH17 over eastern Ukraine two years ago could be known by the end of 2016 and will be prosecuted.
- Names of MH17 Downing Suspects May Be Confirmed by Year-End - Australia's FM Sputnik 02 Oct 2016 -- Australia's Foreign Minister stated that identities of those responsible for the Malaysia Airlines flight MH17 crash in 2014 in southeastern Ukraine might be confirmed by the end of this year or beginning of the next year.
- Ukraine govt., pro-Russia forces report partial weapons withdrawal Press TV 01 Oct 2016 -- The warring sides in eastern Ukraine have pulled back heavy weapons in one of the three agreed locations on the front line.
- Lugansk People's Republic Completes Troops Pullout Near Ukraine's Zolote Town Sputnik 01 Oct 2016 -- The self-proclaimed Lugansk People's Republic completed the pullback of troops and military equipment in the military zone in the area of Zolote, according to people's militia headquarters.
Join the GlobalSecurity.org mailing list