Weapons of Mass Destruction (WMD)
September 2016 - Ukraine Special Weapons News
- UN refugee agency urges better measures for people crossing contact line in eastern Ukraine UN News 30 Sep 2016 -- The United Nations refugee agency today called on authorities in Ukraine to help ease the plight of some 26,000 people who cross the dividing line between Government-controlled and non-Government-controlled areas of the crisis-gripped country daily.
- Analysis: 'Barbarous' Syria Bombings, MH17 Blame: What Consequences Could Russia Face? RFE/RL 30 Sep 2016 -- In terms of its reputation, Russia has had one of its worst weeks ever. Incensed that Moscow is pushing ahead with the "barbarous" bombing of Aleppo and angry over an attack on an aid convoy that is widely blamed on Russian and Syrian forces, the United States is threatening to stop all cooperation with the Kremlin on Syria. And an international investigation concluded that it was a Russian missile system, smuggled into separatist-held territory in Ukraine and then spirited back across the border, that brought down a Malaysia Airlines jet in 2014 and killed all 298 people aboard.
- Russian Officials Dig In On MH17, As Critics Decry 'Politics Of Denial' RFE/RL 29 Sep 2016 -- A series of denials by Russian officials and state-media allegations of bias and foul play present a view that is starkly discrepant with international criminal investigators' findings, announced this week, over the downing of a Malaysian airliner over eastern Ukraine in 2014.
- DPR Head Denies Donbass Militias' Involvement in MH17 Flight Crash Sputnik 29 Sep 2016 -- Head of the self-proclaimed Donetsk People's Republic (DPR) Alexander Zakharchenko said that Ukraine is responsible for shot down of Malaysia Airlines flight MH17 in 2014.
- Joint Investigation Team Report on the Downing of Malaysia Airlines Flight MH17 US Dept. of State 28 Sep 2016 -- The United States welcomes the interim report of the Joint Investigation Team on the shoot down of Malaysia Airlines Flight MH17.
- Investigators: Missile that Downed MH17 was Brought in from Russia VOA 28 Sep 2016 -- International investigators say a Malaysian airliner that crashed over eastern Ukraine in July 2014 was shot down by a surface-to-air missile that was transported into the country from Russia.
- International Criminal Probe Blames Missile From Russia For MH17 Tragedy RFE/RL 28 Sep 2016 -- An international criminal investigation into the MH17 tragedy in eastern Ukraine in 2014 has determined the Malaysian Airlines passenger jet was shot down by a Buk antiaircraft missile fired from separatist controlled territory in Ukraine.
- Russia 'Disappointed' In MH17 Investigation, Dismisses Probe As 'Biased' RFE/RL 28 Sep 2016 -- Russian officials have decried the interim results of an international investigation that found that the Malaysian Airlines passenger jet that crashed in eastern Ukraine in July 2014 was shot down by an antiaircraft missile transported from Russia and fired from rebel-controlled territory in Ukraine.
- Statement by the NATO Secretary General on MH-17 investigation NATO 28 Sep 2016 -- The downing of flight MH17 on July 17 2014 was a global tragedy which cost the lives of 298 people. As the UN Security Council has concluded, those responsible should be held accountable.
- Missile that downed MH17 came from Russia: joint investigation team People's Daily 28 Sep 2016 -- The Buk missile that downed flight MH17 was brought from Russia and fired from a region in eastern Ukraine controlled by pro-Russian rebels, according to the Joint Investigation Team's (JIT) report released Wednesday by the Netherlands Public Prosecutor's Office.
- Russia rejects downing Malaysia plane, refutes probe findings Press TV 28 Sep 2016 -- Russia has strongly dismissed alleged involvement in the 2014 downing of a Malaysia Airlines flight over the skies of Ukraine after a Dutch-led investigation indicated the blame rests with Moscow.
- Dutch Investigators Present Report on MH17 Crash, Russia Considers Probe Biased Sputnik 28 Sep 2016 -- The Dutch-led Joint Investigation Team (JIT) on Wednesday presented a report on the details of the Malaysia Airlines flight MH17 plane in 2014, saying that it was downed by a Buk missile system which was allegedly brought from Russia, however Moscow disagreed with the team's conclusions.
- Donetsk Republic on JIT MH17 Report: 'The Conclusions Are Wrong' Sputnik 28 Sep 2016 -- The Donetsk People's Republic dismissed the Dutch-led Joint Investigation Team's conclusions which stated that the MH17 was downed from independence supporters-controlled area.
- Russia Claims New Radar Data Shows Rebels Didn't Down MH17 RFE/RL 26 Sep 2016 -- The Russian Defense Ministry has released new radar data it says shows the missile that downed a Malaysian Airlines flight over Ukraine in 2014 was not fired from territory controlled by Russia-backed separatists.
- Russia Claims New Images Show Rebels Did Not Down MH17 RFE/RL 26 Sep 2016 -- Russia has released what it claims are radar images showing that the missile that downed Malaysia Airlines Flight 17 was fired from territory that was not controlled by pro-Russia separatists in eastern Ukraine.
- LPR Militia Says Intercepted Ukrainian Combat Drone With Explosives Sputnik 25 Sep 2016 -- According to an LPR represenative, the militia intercepted a Ukrainian drone loaded with explosives.
- Ukraine, pro-Russians agree on military pullback in three hot spots Press TV 22 Sep 2016 -- The Ukrainian government and the pro-Russia forces fighting each other in eastern Ukraine have agreed on a deal to withdraw troops from three battered front line areas.
- Troop Withdrawal From Three Locations in Eastern Ukraine to Begin Thursday Sputnik 22 Sep 2016 -- Kiev's envoy to the Contact Group on Ukraine said that conflicting parties will begin pulling out their troops from three locations in eastern Ukraine, with troop withdrawal to begin in four additional locations on October 5.
- Prominent Ukrainian Anti-Maidan Activist Killed In Moscow Restaurant RFE/RL 20 Sep 2016 -- Russian investigators say a prominent Ukrainian separatist has been shot dead in an upscale restaurant outside Moscow by a gunman disguised in a fake moustache and a panama hat.
- US says won't recognize outcome of Russian elections in Crimea Press TV 17 Sep 2016 -- The United States has denounced upcoming Russian parliamentary elections planned for the Crimean peninsula, saying it "does not recognize the legitimacy" of the process.
- Putin Says Crimea Not Annexed By Russia, It Was 'Reunified' RFE/RL 17 Sep 2016 -- Russian President Vladimir Putin says Moscow did not annex the Ukrainian peninsula of Crimea in 2014 but claimed it was "reunified" with Russia.
- US Condemns Russian Elections in Crimea VOA 17 Sep 2016 -- The U.S. says it will not recognize the outcome of Russian parliamentary elections planned for Crimea Sunday, the first since Russia annexed the Ukrainian peninsula in 2014.
- The Tragic Fate of Ukraine's Antonov, Once a Legendary Name in Aeronautics Sputnik 16 Sep 2016 -- Ukraine's Antonov, once a legend of global civilian and military aircraft production, is on the verge of collapse. With its cooperative ties with Russia almost completely cut off, the company has completely ceased aircraft production, and is now engaged in selling off its trove of intellectual property to foreign buyers.
- Illegitimate Russian Duma Elections in Occupied Crimea US Dept. of State 16 Sep 2016
- Ukraine army, pro-Russians both report truce violations Press TV 15 Sep 2016 -- The Kiev government and pro-Russia forces have reported violations of a ceasefire agreement that started at midnight on Wednesday.
- Over 9,600 Killed, 22,400 Wounded in Donbass Conflict – UN Mission Sputnik 15 Sep 2016 -- The death toll in the two-year conflict in eastern Ukraine surpassed 9,600 people with more than 22,400 wounded as of Thursday, the UN Human Rights Office of the High Commissioner's (OHCHR) monitoring mission in Ukraine said.
- Civilian casualties up 66 per cent in eastern Ukraine during summer - UN report UN News 15 Sep 2016 -- A new United Nations report released today shows a 66 per cent increase in the number of conflict-related civilian casualties in eastern Ukraine and describes the deterioration of the human rights situation there, as a result of escalating hostilities between the Government and non-Government forces from June to August.
- IMF Approves $1 Billion Loan For Ukraine After One-Year Delay RFE/RL 15 Sep 2016 -- The International Monetary Fund on September 14 approved a loan disbursement for Ukraine of $1 billion after a delay of more than a year that reflected concern about corruption and stability in the war-torn nation.
- Prosecutor Cites 'Criminal Probe' Into Ukraine's Top Cop RFE/RL 14 Sep 2016 -- Ukrainian Prosecutor-General Yuriy Lutsenko has announced that his office has opened a criminal probe of Interior Minister Arsen Avakov, raising the specter of another public blow to a fractious ruling coalition.
- Activists Say Crimeans Face Threats, Intimidation Ahead Of Russian Vote RFE/RL 13 Sep 2016 -- Rights groups say the Russian-imposed authorities in Crimea are using threats and intimidation to get out the vote in parliamentary elections that Ukraine has denounced as illegitimate because they are being held on territory seized by Moscow.
- Ukraine Rebel Leader Announces Unilateral Truce VOA 13 Sep 2016 -- The separatist leader in eastern Ukraine's Donetsk region has announced a unilateral cease-fire starting at midnight on Wednesday.
- UN expert calls on Ukraine to step up its efforts to protect the rights of the internally displaced UN News 09 Sep 2016 -- At the conclusion of an official visit to Ukraine, a United Nations human rights expert has called on the Government to step up its response to prevent and address internal displacement and to provide durable solutions to the persons already displaced.
- Readout of Secretary Carter's Meeting with Ukrainian Minister of Defense General Stepan Poltorak DoD 08 Sep 2016
- US agrees to enhance Ukrainian military: Pentagon Press TV 08 Sep 2016 -- The US and Ukraine have agreed to cooperate on military technology and enhance Ukrainian military capabilities, according to the US Defense Department.
- Kiev Intends to Leave Joint Russia-Ukraine-NATO Program on An-124 Use Sputnik 07 Sep 2016 -- Kiev intends to leave the Ukraine-Russia-NATO SALIS program on the use of An-124 transport planes, the CEO of the Ukrainian aircraft maker said Wednesday.
- Kiev losing Western support against Russia: Ukrainian president Press TV 06 Sep 2016 -- Ukrainian President Petro Poroshenko says it is now difficult for his government to gather Western support in its confrontation with Russia, which Kiev and its allies accuse of having a hand in the crisis gripping eastern Ukraine.
- Ukraine's Poroshenko Pleads For Unity, Calls For Western Support In Annual Address RFE/RL 06 Sep 2016 -- President Petro Poroshenko has urged Ukrainians to mend their differences, saying that only unity can keep the country from descending into chaos in the face of what he called a persistent Russian military threat.
- Russian forces stage massive military drills around Crimea Press TV 05 Sep 2016 -- Russian military forces have launched large-scale military drills around the Black Sea peninsula of Crimea, the Russian Defense Ministry says.
- Lithuania supplies Ukraine with lethal weaponry Press TV 03 Sep 2016 -- Lithuania has supplied about 150 tonnes of ammunition to Ukraine for the first time since 2014, says a spokesman for the country's Joint Chiefs of Staff.
- Both sides of Ukraine conflict respecting new ceasefire Press TV 01 Sep 2016 -- The Ukrainian government and pro-Russia forces fighting for greater autonomy have been both respecting a new ceasefire agreement between the two conflicting sides.
- Ukraine, China to make giant plane 'Mriya' Press TV 01 Sep 2016 -- Ukraine and China have signed a deal to manufacture the world's largest and heaviest plane -the Antonov AN-225 Mriya.
Join the GlobalSecurity.org mailing list