Weapons of Mass Destruction (WMD)
July 2016 - Ukraine Special Weapons News
- OSCE: Monitors In Eastern Ukraine Threatened At Gunpoint By Separatists RFE/RL 30 Jul 2016 -- The Organization for Security and Cooperation in Europe (OSCE) says members of its monitoring mission in eastern Ukraine have been threatened at gunpoint near a village in the Donetsk region.
- U.S. Diplomats Accuse Russia Of Undermining Ukraine Peace Plan RFE/RL 29 Jul 2016 -- Two top U.S. diplomats working to resolve the conflict in eastern Ukraine have accused Russia of continuing to supply separatist fighters with fuel and weapons and creating a "deteriorating security situation" in the region that is as bad as it was a year ago.
- Crimea's Merger With Southern Russia Will Complicate West's Sanctions Game Sputnik 29 Jul 2016 -- Russian authorities have announced that the special Crimean Federal District has been merged with the neighboring Southern Federal District. According to experts, the move, designed to improve administrative efficiency, could also mean big headaches for Western governments' anti-Russian and anti-Crimean sanctions policies.
- Ukraine Downplays Trump's Rethinking Of Russian Claim To Crimea RFE/RL 29 Jul 2016 -- Ukraine's ambassador to the United Nations downplayed a comment by U.S. Republican presidential candidate Donald Trump that he would consider recognizing Russia's widely condemned annexation of Crimea.
- Putin Merges Russia's Crimean, Southern Federal Districts Sputnik 28 Jul 2016 -- Russia's Southern and Crimean federal districts are united into an enlarged Southern Federal District, according to the newly issued presidential decree.
- US Delivers 72 Surveillance Drones to Ukraine Wednesday Sputnik 27 Jul 2016 -- The US drone systems delivered to Ukraine are used to transmit live video images and location data to ground control stations, according to the US embassy in Kiev.
- Six Ukrainian soldiers killed in troubled east Press TV 24 Jul 2016 -- Six Ukrainian soldiers have been killed and over a dozen others injured in new clashes between government troops and pro-Russia forces in Ukraine's troubled east.
- Ukraine Still Unwilling to Carry Out Minsk Deal - Russian Envoy to OSCE Sputnik 22 Jul 2016 -- Russian envoy to the Organization for Security and Co-operation (OSCE) Alexander Lukashevich said that it should be reminded that the Minsk package of measures requires Kiev to conduct direct dialogue with Donetsk and Lugansk on all aspects of the settlement.
- Proposed GOP Stance on Ukraine Sparks Controversy VOA 21 Jul 2016 -- At this week's Republican National Convention, a mini-drama has surfaced over what the party's platform has to say about the conflict in Ukraine.
- Civilians Subjected To Unlawful Detentions, Disappearances, Torture In Eastern Ukraine, Watchdogs Say RFE/RL 21 Jul 2016 -- Civilians have been subjected to extended arbitrary detention, disappearances, and even torture by both sides in the conflict in eastern Ukraine, two leading rights watchdogs warn in a joint report.
- New Ukrainian Mortars 'Got Rusty' in Less Than a Month Sputnik 20 Jul 2016 -- A shipment of Ukrainian-made mortars, which were recently delivered to the country's armed forces proved, to be virtually unfit for battlefield conditions.
- Ukrainian Naval Forces Refute Claims of Postponement of US-Led NATO Drills Sputnik 18 Jul 2016 -- The press service of the Ukrainian Naval Forces refuted the information that the naval phase of the North Atlantic Treaty Organization (NATO) Sea Breeze-2016 military drill in the Black Sea will be postponed, noting that the drills will take place according to schedule on Monday.
- Bellingcat Says Russia Used 'Fake Evidence' To Point Finger At Kyiv In Downing Of MH17 RFE/RL 15 Jul 2016 -- The Russian Defense Ministry published doctored, misdated satellite imagery to support its suggestion that Ukraine was responsible for downing of a passenger jet over eastern Ukraine in 2014, independent investigation group Bellingcat alleges in a new report.
- UN Report Finds 'Rampant Impunity' For Killings In Eastern Ukraine RFE/RL 14 Jul 2016 -- A UN human rights report says there has been "limited accountability" in eastern Ukraine for arbitrary killings and torture by separatist fighters and Ukrainian soldiers.
- UN report finds impunity for killings 'remains rampant' in Ukraine conflict UN News 14 Jul 2016 -- A new report by the United Nations human rights office released today describes widespread killings that have taken place in Ukraine since January 2014, concluding that very limited accountability has taken place.
- UN: Civilians in E. Ukraine Conflict Killed With 'Rampant Impunity' VOA 14 Jul 2016 -- The conflict in eastern Ukraine has claimed civilian lives with "rampant impunity" in what may have constituted "war crimes" and crimes against humanity, according to a U.N. report.
- NATO leaders confirm strong support for Ukraine NATO 09 Jul 2016 -- NATO leaders agreed to step up support for Ukraine at the final working session of the Warsaw Summit on Saturday (9 July 2016).
- Obama: 'No Business As Usual' With Russia Until Ukraine Peace Deal Implemented RFE/RL 09 Jul 2016 -- U.S. President Barack Obama said there can be "no business as usual" with Russia until it "fully implements" the agreement aimed at ending the war between Kyiv's forces and Russia-backed separatists in eastern Ukraine.
- Remarks with Ukrainian President Petro Poroshenko US Dept. of State 07 Jul 2016 -- Remarks by John Kerry, US Secretary of State
- 3 Ukrainian soldiers killed in fresh clashes in east Press TV 05 Jul 2016 -- Renewed clashes between Ukrainian troops and pro-Russia forces in eastern Ukraine have left three soldiers dead.
- New Warships Declared too Defective to Become Part of Ukrainian Navy Sputnik 03 Jul 2016 -- Two brand new Ukrainian armored artillery boats won't become part of the nation's navy due to numerous defects.
- Ukraine Gets American Radars, Hopes for 'Enhanced Cooperation' With US Sputnik 03 Jul 2016 -- On Saturday, Ukraine has received a consignment of counter-battery radars from the United States. Kiev is preparing to deploy the "cutting edge" equipment in the war-torn Donbass region, President Petro Poroshenko announced.
Join the GlobalSecurity.org mailing list