Weapons of Mass Destruction (WMD)
May 2016 - Ukraine Special Weapons News
- Ukrainian Army Acquired 36 New Types of Weapons, Equipment in 2 Years Sputnik 31 May 2016 -- Ukrainian Armed Forces acquired 36 new types of weapons and military equipment between 2014 and 2016, armed forces' chief of arms Col. Vladislav Shostak said Tuesday.
- New clashes kill three army soldiers in east Ukraine: Military Press TV 30 May 2016 -- The Ukrainian military has announced the death of three of its soldiers in a fresh wave of clashes between government troops and pro-Russia forces in the country's troubled east.
- Five Ukrainian soldiers killed in clashes in troubled east Press TV 29 May 2016 -- At least five Ukrainian soldiers have been killed in a fresh wave of clashes with pro-Russia forces in the troubled eastern parts of the country, Ukraine's military says.
- Ukraine wants ex-NATO head, Anders Fogh Rasmussen, as advisor Press TV 28 May 2016 -- Ukraine's president has asked the former NATO secretary general to act as his unofficial advisor.
- Former NATO Chief Named Poroshenko Adviser RFE/RL 28 May 2016 -- Former NATO Secretary-General Anders Fogh Rasmussen says he will do his "utmost to promote security, economic reforms, and stronger EU ties" in his new capacity as an adviser to Ukrainian President Petro Poroshenko.
- Kyiv Says Fighting In East Intensifies RFE/RL 28 May 2016 -- The Ukrainian military says that fighting between government troops and Russia-backed separatists has intensified in eastern Ukraine.
- NATO assists Ukraine in removal of obsolete weapons in Donetsk and Luhansk regions NATO 26 May 2016 -- Today, the State Emergency Service of Ukraine (SESU) received equipment from NATO for the removal and destruction of Explosive Remnants of War (ERW), including landmines, artillery, munitions and booby traps in the Donetsk and Luhansk regions.
- Freed Ukrainian pilot arrives home after nearly two years in Russia jail Press TV 25 May 2016 -- After serving almost two years in a Russian jail, Ukrainian pilot, Nadiya Savchenko, has arrived home through a prisoner swap deal that is likely to ease diplomatic tensions between Moscow and Kiev.
- Savchenko Returns To Ukraine In Russian Prisoner Swap RFE/RL 25 May 2016 -- Ukrainian pilot Nadia Savchenko has been freed after nearly two years in Russian captivity. Savchenko, whose defiance in Russian detention made her a national hero, arrived in Kyiv on May 25 aboard Ukrainian President Petro Poroshenko's plane.
- Ukraine Pilot, Jailed by Russia, Returns Home VOA 25 May 2016 -- A Ukrainian army helicopter pilot who spent nearly two years in a Russian prison flew home to a hero's welcome after being freed in a swap with Moscow.
- 7 Ukrainian soldier killed in clashes in volatile east Press TV 24 May 2016 -- Ukraine says seven of its soldiers have been killed and nine others wounded in a fresh wave of clashes with pro-Russia forces in the troubled east over the past 24 hours.
- NATO Military Committee Rules Out Lethal Weapons Deliveries to Ukraine Sputnik 19 May 2016 -- Chairman of the NATO Military Committee Gen. Petr Pavel said that NATO's responsibility is to support Ukraine without fueling the internal conflict.
- New clashes kill army soldier in east Ukraine: Military Press TV 16 May 2016 -- The Ukrainian military has announced the death of one of its soldiers in new clashes between government troops and pro-Russia forces in the country's troubled east.
- As NATO Beckons, Ukraine Signs Military Cooperation Plan With Turkey Sputnik 16 May 2016 -- Ukrainian General Staff said that Ukraine and Turkey have signed on Monday a military cooperation plan.
- Moscow, Kiev agree on Ukraine demilitarized zone Press TV 11 May 2016 -- Moscow and Kiev have agreed upon establishing demilitarized zones in areas held by pro-Russia fighters in eastern Ukraine, Germany says.
- Bellingcat Report Says Russian Buk 332 Shot Down Flight MH17 RFE/RL 04 May 2016 -- A team of open-source researchers investigating the downing of Malaysia Airlines Flight 17 says it has positively identified a Russian Buk missile launcher that shot down the plane.
- Three killed in renewed Ukraine violence Press TV 01 May 2016 -- One Ukrainian soldier and two pro-Russia fighters have been killed in renewed fighting in eastern Ukraine over the weekend.
- Crimean Blockade Organizer Vows Creation of 'Crimean Tatar Army' Sputnik 01 May 2016 -- Reacting to the Crimean Supreme Court's decision to ban the Mejlis movement in Russia, 'Crimean blockade' organizer Lenur Islyamov said that now may be the time to create a 'Crimean Tatar army'.
Join the GlobalSecurity.org mailing list