Pro-Russia forces shelling Ukraine army positions: Kiev
Iran Press TV
Thu Jul 16, 2015 10:12AM
Ukrainian military authorities have accused pro-Russia forces of shelling army positions in the country's conflict-ridden eastern parts despite a ceasefire deal agreed between Kiev and the pro-Russians in Belarus earlier this year.
On Thursday, Ukrainian officials said pro-Russia forces had conducted nearly 100 attacks on army bases since Wednesday, adding that the assaults were carried out in several areas, using mortar shells and artillery rounds.
The pro-Russians have not commented on the accusation as of yet.
The development comes as officials in the Ukrainian capital, Kiev, said on Wednesday morning that eight government troops had lost their lives and 16 others sustained injuries in the restive eastern Ukraine over the past 24 hours.
Ukraine's National Security and Defense Council said the latest death toll included five servicemen killed by a land mine in the Luhansk region and two troops killed by mortar fire in the same area.
Meanwhile, pro-Russia forces said two of their fighters and one civilian were killed in Donetsk on Tuesday.
During the peace talks in the Belarusian capital city of Minsk on February 11-12, the leaders of Germany, France, Russia and Ukraine agreed on the withdrawal of heavy weapons from Ukraine's frontlines and a ceasefire, which officially went into effect late on February 14. The warring sides, however, have continued to engage in sporadic clashes.
The United Nations believes that more than 6,500 people have died and nearly 1.5 million been left homeless due to the conflict in Ukraine ever since it unfolded in May 2014.
|Join the GlobalSecurity.org mailing list|