OSCE Cannot Confirm Withdrawal of Heavy Weaponry in East Ukraine - Official
20:50 21.02.2015(updated 21:23 21.02.2015)
In order to verify the withdrawal, to testify to the truth that specific weapons have been and remain withdrawn, the OSCE monitors need to know what heavy weapons the sides have, OSCE SMM's deputy chief monitor said.
KIEV (Sputnik) – The Organization for Security and Co-operation in Europe's (OSCE) monitoring mission to Ukraine cannot confirm the withdrawal of heavy weapons from the conflict zone in Donbas, the mission's deputy chief monitor said Saturday.
'I regret to say that they [warring parties] have not yet provided inventory of heavy weapons, the routes along which they intend to withdraw them, or where they will be concentrated,' Alexander Hug said at a briefing.
The deputy chief monitor called on the sides to provide the mission with precise data.
'In order to verify the withdrawal, to testify to the truth that specific weapons have been and remain withdrawn, the OSCE Special Monitoring Mission needs to know what heavy weapons the sides have, where these weapons are now, and where they will be located in compliance with the Minsk agreements,' Hug added.
Under the new agreement on Ukrainian reconciliation, Kiev forces and eastern Ukrainian fighters have to completely withdraw their heavy weapons from the line of contact to create two security zones 50-140 kilometers (30-85 miles) wide.
The 13-point peace deal, reached by the leaders of Russia, Germany, France and Ukraine last week in Minsk, also envisioned a full ceasefire in southeast Ukraine as of February 15 and a all-for-all prisoner exchange.
|Join the GlobalSecurity.org mailing list|