Donetsk Ready to Release Encircled Kiev Troops if They Lay Down Arms
16:48 17.02.2015(updated 18:16 17.02.2015)
The self-proclaimed Donetsk People's Republic militia is offering a way out for Kiev troops encircled in Debaltseve on the condition they lay down arms.
DONETSK (Sputnik) – Militia of the self-proclaimed Donetsk People's Republic (DPR) is ready to let encircled Kiev troops leave Debaltseve without weapons, a DPR deputy military commander said Tuesday.
"Once again, we reiterate our proposal to Ukrainian troops to safely walk out of the Debaltseve encirclement if they leave their weapons behind," Eduard Basurin told reporters.
Several thousand Ukrainian soldiers have been encircled in the government-controlled Debaltsevo, a strategic transport hub in eastern Ukraine.
The peace deal between Kiev forces and independence supporters, which was agreed upon in Belarus by the leaders of Ukraine, Germany, France and Russia last week, outlines measures to deescalate the conflict in Donbas.
The ceasefire between warring sides, which is the key provision, became effective on February 15.
On February 14, DPR head Alexander Zakharchenko, said that the militia would cease fire everywhere except for the inner areas of the Debaltsevo territory under their control and all attempts by Kiev soldiers to leave the Debaltsevo encirclement would be halted.
The heads of Ukraine, Germany, France and Russia stressed later in a phone conversation that the ceasefire must cover the whole Donbas region, including Debaltsevo.
|Join the GlobalSecurity.org mailing list|