OSCE Barred From Debaltseve in Breach of Minsk Agreements – Ukrainian FM
14:59 15.02.2015(updated 20:45 15.02.2015)
Representatives of the Organization for the Security and Co-operation in Europe (OSCE) are not allowed to enter the city of Debaltseve in eastern Ukraine, where several thousands of Ukrainian troops remain encircled by pro-independence forces, according to the statement of Ukrainian Foreign Minister Pavlo Klimkin.
KIEV, (Sputnik) – Representatives of the Organization for the Security and Co-operation in Europe (OSCE) are not allowed to enter the city of Debaltseve in eastern Ukraine, in violation of the Minsk agreements, Ukrainian Foreign Minister Pavlo Klimkin said Sunday.
Several thousands of Ukrainian troops remain encircled by pro-independence forces in Debaltseve, one of Ukraine's biggest railroad junctions.
'Today, despite our efforts and the efforts of the OSCE mission, they were not allowed to enter Debaltseve… This is a direct violation of the obligations and the spirit of the Minsk agreements, as the mission is the only mechanism for monitoring the ceasefire,' Klimkin said at a press briefing.
The minister added that OSCE monitors wanted to enter Debaltsevo at night to observe the compliance with the ceasefire. However, the Donetsk militia allegedly told the monitors it was too dangerous.
Earlier on Sunday, at midnight in Ukraine (February 14, 22:00 GMT) a ceasefire deal between government forces and independence supporters in Donbas became effective.
The truce was hammered out by the leaders of Russia, Ukraine, France and Germany earlier this week during the talks in Minsk.
The agreement stipulates that the OSCE must conduct a thorough monitoring of the ceasefire. The organization's Special Monitoring Mission has been reporting on the situation in Ukraine since March 2014.
|Join the GlobalSecurity.org mailing list|