Fresh fighting in east Ukraine claims three lives
Iran Press TV
Tue Jan 20, 2015 3:35PM
Fresh fighting has erupted in eastern Ukraine between pro-Russians and government forces, leaving at least three civilians dead.
On Tuesday, shelling by Ukrainian forces killed two people who were waiting for a bus in Donetsk. The pro-Russia militants confirmed another person dead in attacks elsewhere in the city, which is controlled by anti-government forces.
The two sides have intensified their fighting to capture Donetsk's main airport. Militants still claim they control the facility which is almost in complete ruin due to continuous shelling by Kiev forces.
The fresh fighting violates two ceasefire agreements reached between the two sides last September. Kiev says its latest strike on the pro-Russians was an act of defense and therefore did not breach the truce.
More than 4,800 people have been killed in a conflict that Western governments continue to accuse Russia of having a major hand in. Moscow, however, denies any involvement in the unrest, saying Kiev continues to suppress the ethnic-Russian population living in east of Ukraine.
Meanwhile, Russia accused Ukraine of undermining peace prospects by increasing its military activity in east of the country. A spokesman for Kremlin told RIA news agency that Ukrainian authorities have renewed their hostilities toward the pro-Russians in the east, seriously undermining the potential effectiveness of peace efforts.
The increased violence has apparently hampered ongoing efforts for arranging a multilateral peace summit attended by leaders of Russia, Ukraine, France and Germany. One such meeting was hoped to take place last week in Kazakhstan, but plans failed as the warring sides could not reach a compromise on outstanding differences.
|Join the GlobalSecurity.org mailing list|