UN Ready to Consider Information on Kiev's Use of Prohibited Arms
GENEVA, July 16 (RIA Novosti) - The United Nations says it is prepared to investigate information on Kiev's use of banned military weapons if appropriate evidence is presented, UN High Commissioner Navi Pillay told RIA Novosti on Wednesday.
"Of course, if the facts are presented to us we will look into them,' Pillay said.
Pillay said a new report on human rights in regard to the situation in Ukraine would be presented in August. The commissioner did not say, however, that the report would contain information on Kiev's use of prohibited weaponry.
The eastern Ukrainian city of Horlivka's militia leader, Ihor Bezler, told RIA Novosti earlier that independence supporters were ready to prove to the UN that the Ukrainian Army used prohibited weapons, including cluster bombs.
The use of the cluster munitions is prohibited under the international convention that came into force in August 2010.
The eastern Ukrainian independence supporters have repeatedly argued that the Ukrainian Army uses cluster munitions.
Last month, Russian Foreign Ministry Commissioner for Human Rights Konstantin Dolgov also accused Ukrainian security forces of using banned weapons against the citizens of Slaviansk.
Since mid-April, Kiev authorities have been conducting a special military operation in eastern Ukraine to suppress the independence movement. More than 450 civilians have died in the self-proclaimed Donetsk and Luhansk republics over the past few months as a result of the conflict.
Moscow has repeatedly called on Kiev to immediately put a stop the violence and resolve the conflict through peaceful dialogue.
|Join the GlobalSecurity.org mailing list|