Pro-Russians agree to further peace talks
Iran Press TV
Thu Jun 26, 2014 4:13PM GMT
Pro-Russia protesters in eastern Ukraine have said they agree to take part in another round of peace talks with Kiev.
The announcement made on Thursday comes amidst a unilateral ceasefire proposed by the Ukrainian government set to finish on Friday.
A leader of the self-proclaimed Donetsk People's Republic said the talks will aim at extending the ceasefire.
'There is an agreement to hold a round of consultations on June 27 in Donetsk,' he added.
Ukraine's President Petro Poroshenko has said the pro-Russian protesters have proved that they wish to resolve the crisis in a peaceful manner.
On June 20, Poroshenko announced a one-week ceasefire plan aimed at curbing the violence in the restive east.
Alexander Borodai, the prime minister of the self-proclaimed Donetsk People's Republic, accepted the ceasefire on Monday, saying that it will be observed until June 27.
Earlier on Thursday, Russia's President Vladimir Putin and German Chancellor Angela Merkel discussed the worsening situation in eastern Ukraine, and emphasized extending Kiev's one-week ceasefire.
The two mainly Russian-speaking regions of Donetsk and Lugansk have been the scene of deadly clashes between pro-Russia protesters and the Ukrainian army since Kiev's military operation started in mid-April.
The violence intensified after the two regions declared independence from Ukraine on May 12 following local referendums, in which the residents voted overwhelmingly in favor of independence from Kiev.
The government in Kiev says it is targeting armed protesters, but reports say many civilians have been caught in the shelling that has been going on for days.
|Join the GlobalSecurity.org mailing list|