Five people injured and one killed in Mariupol – local authorities
13 June 2014, 17:16 -- Five people were injured and one killed during this morning's special operation of the Ukrainian security task forces in Mariupol, Donetsk Region of Ukraine, the local administration reports citing the health department. The Ukrainian forces started a special operation in Mariupol on Friday morning, after which they reported having detained several dozens of resistance fighters.
The local authorities report that as of 2 p.m. local time today three people were injured during the anti-terrorist operation in Mariupol. They were taken to city hospitals.
In addition, as a result of a shell hitting a vegetable warehouse one person was mortally wounded and two injured in the Dobropol District on Friday.
The local administration does not specify which side these people belong to.
Fight underway in Mariupol - Ukrainian lawmaker
Leader of Ukraine's Radical Party Oleg Lyashko announced early Friday that a battle started in the southern city of Mariupol, first injuries were reported. 'I am in Mariupol now. An operation started here. In response to the call to lay down arms [they] opened fire on our forces,' Lyashko wrote on his Facebook account Friday.
He added that one of the Ukrainian army fighters was injured during an assault on the Mariupol headquarters. According to Lyashko, 'intense fire from assault rifles and machine guns is reported, explosions are heard.'
The politician urged all the citizens not to leave their homes over security concerns.
Violence in eastern Ukraine has been on the rise since the beginning of a punitive operation launched by Kiev authorities in mid-April. The operation, severely condemned by Russia, already claimed dozens of civilian lives.
The Russian foreign minister called for the ceasefire in the country, finding ways to resolve the pressing humanitarian problems and holding a true all-national dialogue on Ukraine's future.
Earlier on Thursday Russia submitted to the UN Security Council a new draft resolution on the crisis in southeastern Ukraine.
The document urged in particular to stop violence, start cease-fire talks and establish humanitarian corridors to allow civilians to leave the territory of the military operation.
Ukrainian National Guard reports four soldiers injured in Mariupol operation
Four Ukrainian servicemen have been injured in the active phase of the army operation launched in Mariupol, Donetsk region, on Friday morning, the Ukrainian National Guard said in a statement posted on its website. 'Four special unit servicemen are injured, and one is in serious condition,' the report runs.
'Georgievskaya Street has been cleared of terrorists, and yards of nearby private houses are being searched. The special operation continues,' it says. The National Guard and Interior Ministry special units Dnepr and Azov are engaged in the operation. The National Guard reported that every key stronghold of the militia had been taken under control, an armored reconnaissance vehicle had been blown up, sniper positions had been destroyed, and occupied buildings had been freed.
|Join the GlobalSecurity.org mailing list|