At Least 5 Dead After Ukrainian Air Force Strike on Luhansk Militia
LUHANSK, June 2 (RIA Novosti) – At least five people have been killed and many more injured in an air strike by the Ukrainian Air Force on the administration building of the city of Luhansk, eastern Ukraine, a RIA Novosti correspondent reported Monday.
A strong fire began in the administration headquarters after the fighter jets attack. Smoke is seen rising from fourth-floor windows.
The injured are being carried out of the building, at least six ambulance vehicles arrived in the area.
An independence supporter who left the building said there were "many killed and injured inside."
It was earlier reported that several military airplanes flew over the city, followed by heavy gunfire in the center of the city. The shooting caused panic among civilians.
Earlier self-defense forces in Luhansk started evacuating civilians from a residential area on the city outskirts that came under heavy fire after hours-long clashes between freedom fighters and border guards loyal to the newly-elected government in Kiev. The battle began at 1 am GMT.
Fifteen border guards surrendered to self-defense forces, according to Valery Bolotov, the head of the self-proclaimed Luhansk People's Republic.
The Ukrainian security operation in southeastern Ukraine is continuing despite a memorandum on peace and accord adopted by the parliament ahead of the May 25 presidential vote. The operation has killed scores of people on both sides.
Russian Foreign Minister Sergei Lavrov said earlier that Ukraine must immediately move to stop violence and launch nationwide dialogue following presidential vote in the country.
|Join the GlobalSecurity.org mailing list|